IntelliMouse woes.... :(

Post by GismOsi » Mon, 05 Jul 1999 04:00:00

ne replies to this would be greatly appreciated :)

i am having problems using X/CLI with an intellimouse...
i own an IntelliMouse and every time i try and boot into X/CLI it just wont
work...i have tried many times re-coniguring using XConf...but no luck, i
have tried using the IntelliMouse drivers from the XConf thiny but it still
wont work...perhaps there are some new drivers out there that someone could
direct me towards?

i tried another mouse in X and it works fine...i KNOW that the IntelliMouse
works, cos it goes fine in Windoze....

i am using RedHat v5.2

IntelliMouse woes.... :(

Post by Lo » Mon, 05 Jul 1999 04:00:00

On Sun, 4 Jul 1999 12:44:18 +1000, "GismOsis"

>ne replies to this would be greatly appreciated :)

>i am having problems using X/CLI with an intellimouse...
>i own an IntelliMouse and every time i try and boot into X/CLI it just wont
>work...i have tried many times re-coniguring using XConf...but no luck, i
>have tried using the IntelliMouse drivers from the XConf thiny but it still
>wont work...perhaps there are some new drivers out there that someone could
>direct me towards?

>i tried another mouse in X and it works fine...i KNOW that the IntelliMouse
>works, cos it goes fine in Windoze....

>i am using RedHat v5.2

I had almost exactly the same problem... I didn't use CLI (or even
know what it is, I'm a newbie too...) But I managed to get it to work
by first off, making sure it was on the right port ( /dev/psaux for
me) then tell your computer it's a standard ps/2 mouse... the IMPS/2
drivers didn't work, and the normal intellimouse drivers were useless
for some reason... no response what so ever... Works now, though...

oh, and I'm using RH 5.2 too...
--
Loz
"The funniest book about late onset hermaphroditism you'll read all

1. Talk refused to talk:(:(:(:(

Hello there people:)...
  I had linux kernel 1.2.8 installed in my system. I have a SLIP/PPP
connection using either dip (for SLIP) or pppd/chat (for PPP).
  Now, Most of my network stuff are working fine without any problem at all
except talk. Talk works fine for local chatting. No problem at all. The
problem is when ever I call out to other machine (using the SLIP/PPP line),
nothing has ever happen. It got as far as Checking invitation stuff. Never
more.
  Just out of curiosity I ran netstate to check the udp connection whenever
I have talk running. Running locally (talk that is) I got output as follow:

Active Internet connections
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address          Foreign Address        (State)
User
udp        0      0 lucifer.newpaltz.:1328 *:*

Which I presumed opened by talk (only one here because the other side hadn't
responded to the call yet).  I also get the same thing whenever I call
someone outside my system to talk. Of course, it never got to the other
system (I was waiting on the other system using telnet for the talk request,
never got there. And I had made sure that mesg was y).

Now when I call *IN* from other system (telnet to another system and run
talk over there to my system), I have (on my system) output as follow:

Active Internet connections
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address          Foreign Address        (State)
User

And also from netstat -a, I could find talk/ntalk were still listening.
Seems to me the call from outside didn't get through.

Now, since I haven't done anything to configure talk specifically, is there
anything I have to do to make this connection possible. Since I can't talk
to outside nor can I receive talk request from other hosts, I'm under the
assumption that my talk program somehow is not configured properly.

Any configuration file I have to check?
man, faq, howto, etc to refer to this kind of error?
May be replace my talk/ntalk/talkd/ntalkd with something else and where to
find it/them?
Does it depend on something in the kernel that I have to enable during the
compile time?
Wrong version altogether with the kernel?
Is it possible that talk needs long time to make the connection? (None of my
other stuff that I know of behave like this).
May be my inetd is broken?
If so, how do I check for it?
And where to find the latest version of it?

And while I'm at it, what's the latest version of talk?
Where to find it?
Is there a better chatting program that's backward compatible with talk?
Meaning that the program has more features than talk but at the same time
can be used to communicate with other regular talk program whenever the
program is not available on the other host.

--
Send comment and reply to:

2. SLIP VS PPP

3. my trashed hard drive. :( :( :(

4. Authentication

5. CD-RW mounting woes in Mandrake 7.0 woe oh woe oh woe!

6. HELP!! Installing Solaris 7

7. pppd woes :(

8. process groups

9. HELP - Yggdrasil, Mitsumi CD ROM, ATI Ultra XLR Woes :(

10. Solaris network config woes :(

11. Set-up woes, please, please, please help :(

12. XXGDB woes :(

13. PPP Configuration Woes:(