linux on notebook

Post by lb » Mon, 12 Aug 1996 04:00:00

I've a notebook (P75 16Mo 810 Mo) with win 95 and I'd like to install linux on.
My problem is:

        -Linux CDROMS needs creating a boot disk
        -My notebook have a CDROM and disk reader but... not together (One
place         for both).

How Could I do??

L.B.

linux on notebook

Post by Scott J. McC » Wed, 14 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I've a notebook (P75 16Mo 810 Mo) with win 95 and I'd like to install linux on.
>My problem is:

>        -Linux CDROMS needs creating a boot disk
>        -My notebook have a CDROM and disk reader but... not together (One
>place         for both).

>How Could I do??

>L.B.

I have the same problem. I've tried doing Red Hat 3.03 by

1. connecting the CD reader and copying most stuff onto the
   hard drive.
2. removing the CD reader, attaching floppy drive, and booting
   with boot floppy and 2 ram floppies.

This seemed ok except that I got a number of errors when installing
packages. My recent browses seem to point out that these errors
may be related to the way the disk was partitioned (I used fips and
cfdisk).

Anyway, I'm now trying Slackware '96 (kernel 2.0) and again face the
same problem. And the slackware distibution doesn't appear to have
Red Hat's 'from local hard drive' option.

So, what to do?
--
Scott J. McCue
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution            Clark 4th M/S 25

(508)289-3462  fax: (508)457-2193
http://w3eos.whoi.edu/~scotty/smccue.html

linux on notebook

Post by Bob Ko » Tue, 20 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>>        -Linux CDROMS needs creating a boot disk
>>        -My notebook have a CDROM and disk reader but... not together (One
>>place         for both).

>>How Could I do??

>I have the same problem. I've tried doing Red Hat 3.03 by

>1. connecting the CD reader and copying most stuff onto the
>   hard drive.

What all did you copy? I tried this technique but filled my hard disk
(300M free) when copying /Redhat.

Bob

linux on notebook

Post by michael wo » Tue, 20 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> >>        -Linux CDROMS needs creating a boot disk
> >>        -My notebook have a CDROM and disk reader but... not together (One
> >>place         for both).

> >>How Could I do??

> >I have the same problem. I've tried doing Red Hat 3.03 by

> >1. connecting the CD reader and copying most stuff onto the
> >   hard drive.

> What all did you copy? I tried this technique but filled my hard disk
> (300M free) when copying /Redhat.

> Bob

I have a laptop with _NO_ CD-ROM. I want to install Redhat to it.
I do have a parallel verion of a zip drive which seems to be too
small. I have disk space big enough to hold
all redhat installation files on our local network.
I also have an ethernet PC-card for the laptop.

What is the easiest way to intall?

It seems to me that redhat only offers cd-rom and FTP installation
while slackware does floppy and NSF installation (or even Tape).
Has anyone tried NSF installation for redhat?

Thank you.
Regards.

- michael woo

linux on notebook

Post by Sudarshan S. Chawat » Thu, 22 Aug 1996 04:00:00

I installed RedHat 3.0.3 on my laptop using the ftp method.  It worked
reasonably well, especially given that large parts of the western U.S.
were suffering power outages that day!

In any case, since my laptop has a PCMCIA ethernet card, and no
CD-ROM, I figured I'd use the ftp method.  I made the recommended
"boot disk" and the two "root disks", booted my computer from using
the boot disk and then simply followed the on-screen instructions.

The only suggestion I would make is the following: During the first
try, install the very least you can.  That is, unselect almost
everything from the "packages" menu that shows up during the
installation process.  This minimizes the chances of ending up with an
un-bootable (from the hard drive, that is) system at the end due to
ftp transmission problems etc.  Once you have a system that boots on
its own, it is very easy (and less scary) to install the packages you
want by using "rpm" (the Red Hat Package manager).  Try to make sure
rpm is installed in the first go if possible---I'm not sure if it's
part of the default "base" system.  (If not, you'll need to first
install rpm on your new system using good old ftp.)

Cheers,

-S

> I have a laptop with _NO_ CD-ROM. I want to install Redhat to it.
> I do have a parallel verion of a zip drive which seems to be too
> small. I have disk space big enough to hold
> all redhat installation files on our local network.
> I also have an ethernet PC-card for the laptop.

> What is the easiest way to intall?

> It seems to me that redhat only offers cd-rom and FTP installation
> while slackware does floppy and NSF installation (or even Tape).
> Has anyone tried NSF installation for redhat?

linux on notebook

Post by Ellery K Ba » Fri, 23 Aug 1996 04:00:00

The idea of installing linux from the hard disk works BUT copy only
specific directories.  No need to copy everything.  According to my old
notes, I copied the following directories from the CD-ROM to my hard disk
using the _same_ directory names:

RedHat/base
RedHat/RPMS     (includes all subdirectories too)

It should take less than 200MB.  Hope this helps.

-Ellery

[...]

: >
: > I have a laptop with _NO_ CD-ROM. I want to install Redhat to it.
: > I do have a parallel verion of a zip drive which seems to be too
: > small. I have disk space big enough to hold
: > all redhat installation files on our local network.
: > I also have an ethernet PC-card for the laptop.
: >
: > What is the easiest way to intall?
: >
: > It seems to me that redhat only offers cd-rom and FTP installation
: > while slackware does floppy and NSF installation (or even Tape).
: > Has anyone tried NSF installation for redhat?

--
Segmentation fault (core dumped): cannot find file '.signature'

1. Notebook Linux: Unable to load a linux kernel module - PCMCIA WAVELAN driver

Hi fellow linuxers,
        I am trying to install a PCMCIA WaveLAN driver . Itr
is a loadable kernel module. When I do a
insmod wavelan_cs.o
I get these messages
 memset: wrong version
Failed to load module. The symbols from kernele 1.3.30
dont match 1.3.30
        I run linux kernel 1.3.30 and
        PCMCIA Card services 2.7.3
        Notebook pc from ACOM Inc.

I dont have problems loading other modules. I have
checked and recompiled my kernel, libraries etc.
Nothing seems to help.
If someone out there has solved or faced similar
problems please help.
thanx in advance,
bye
sumanth
 ---

710 SE Chinook Drive, Apt #W105,
Pullman, WA99163. Phone: (509) 332 1592
Office: Sloan 306, Engineering and Sciences Building,

www: http://www.eecs.wsu.edu/~ssukumar

2. Press articles about Linux?

3. Newbie question - Linux on a Compaq Notebook

4. Soundcard ESS1688 setup failure, no Audio devices on /dev/sndstat, HELP!!!

5. Need recommendations for notebook with Linux/X

6. null TTY in tty_fasync (with 2.5.49)

7. Linux on a Sony VAIO PCG-XG9 notebook

8. Apache performance on Solaris

9. Installing Linux on Dell notebook

10. Partitions on notebook with Linux

11. Linux on Acer Notebook???

12. how to make my compaq notebook support Linux graphic mode

13. Notebook with ESS488 soundcard does not work with linux