cvs check out problems..cannot check out files into the repository itself.

cvs check out problems..cannot check out files into the repository itself.

Post by Peter Huan » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I'm new at CVS. I started by set the CVSROOT environment variable.

than

cvs init

than

I create a directory called "cvsroot" in my home directory
I go into the directory containing the files I want to put in the repository
and type

cvs import cvsroot manu initialtag

in the directory cvsroot, it created the files plus ,v from the directory
that contain my files.
However, when I do cvs checkout CVSROOT/modules

the console print out

Cannot check out files into the repository itself.......

Can any one tell me what did I do wrong..

thanks

Peter

cvs check out problems..cannot check out files into the repository itself.

Post by Quiney, Philip [HAL02:HH00:EXCH » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi,
Quote:

> I'm new at CVS. I started by set the CVSROOT environment variable.

What did you set it to?

Quote:> I create a directory called "cvsroot" in my home directory

I wouldn't call it cvsroot as this may confuse cvs (& anyone else) - was
this what you set CVSROOT to (HOME/cvsroot)?

<snip>

Quote:> Cannot check out files into the repository itself.......

> Can any one tell me what did I do wrong..

Yes you set CVSROOT to something like /root (or your $HOME dir) or you
are trying to do a checkout whilst in a directory under the value of
CVSROOT (ie if CVSROOT is /home/user - you are in dir /home/user/work
you would get this error) Remember CVS is not like RCS in that the CVS
controlled files are not under the working directory (and may not even
be on the same machine!). This gives CVS far greater flexibility
especially in a multi-developer environment. Note that CVS shares a file
format with RCS but does not require RCS to be installed.

What you should have done is create a directory somewhere else on your
system...

...say /usr/local/CVS_Repository (set CVSROOT to this dir). Then do the
cvs init as before. If you don't have root access on your machine then
you will need the help of your sysadmin to do this.

If more than one user is going to use it then you will need to set up a
group (say cvsuser) and make sure the required users are in this group.
You may have to play with file permissions to get all users write access

If you haven't done this already - get hold of the tkinfo & tkcvs
packages. Use tkinfo for cvs documentation (ie tkinfo cvs - sorry but I
can't cope with the 'normal' info program ;-() and tkcvs to browse your
repository. tkcvs gives you the (IMHO) brilliant tkdiff program which
you can use directly to compare two files, as well as use it to browse
files in the cvs repository from within tkcvs.

Regards

Phil Q

--

Phil Quiney                             CSIP Demonstrator

Telephone: +44 (0)1279 402363           London Rd, Harlow,
Fax:       +44 (0)1279 402885           Essex CM17 9NA,
                                        United Kingdom.

"This message may contain information proprietary to Northern
Telecom so any unauthorised disclosure, copying or distribution
of its contents is strictly prohibited."

1. CVS question -- executable bit turned ON automatically after checking into the repository...

Dear all:

I have discovered a rather strange problem on CVS 1.11.5.

I found that sometimes the checked-in files in the CVS would have the
executable bit automatically turned ON...

Although this is not harmful at this moment, I am afriad of some security
issues down the road.

Is this a known bug in CVS?  Or did I do something wrong?

Regards,

Patrick

2. Why wu-ftpd and smbd so slow?

3. A script that will only check file if it has been modified since last check

4. Help: Mandrake 10.1 routing problem?

5. A problem with binary files in CVS-1.9 repository

6. Solaris 2.5.1 compress/named pipe problem

7. Odd Linux & GCC behaviour

8. how do I check with cvs if files from my source tree got modded?

9. Distributed CVS -- Synchronizing Multiple CVS Repositories

10. cvs check out problem

11. CVS repository for common files

12. How to import some RCS files to CVS repository?