Help, help. 'Fips' ain't Fips'ing.

Post by Fear of » Thu, 10 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Okay, I'm trying to partition off my Windows/DOS dominated new hard drive
for a little cubby-hole for LINUX to call its own:

I've created two system disks, first by using the 'copy system files only'
command in the Win95 format menu, and also by using the special 'Startup
Disk'  tab in 'Add/Remove Programs.'  I then copied over the three files
from my Red Hat LINUX CD-ROM, FIPS.EXE, RESTORRB.EXE, and ERRORS.TXT (from
the FIPSDOCS folder).

Anyway, when I boot off either of these disks and type 'fips' at the a:
(floppy drive) prompt, the floppy drive's light goes on...and on...and on...
Nothin' happens.

Anybody know what gives?  Me wanna load LINUX in such a bad way...

Can't you see?
It all makes perfect sense,
expressed in dollars and cents,
pounds, shillings and pence.
Can't you see, it all makes perfect sense?
                               -Roger Waters

Help, help. 'Fips' ain't Fips'ing.

Post by Bob Tenne » Fri, 11 Dec 1998 04:00:00

 >I've created two system disks, first by using the 'copy system files only'
 >command in the Win95 format menu, and also by using the special 'Startup
 >Disk'  tab in 'Add/Remove Programs.'  I then copied over the three files
 >from my Red Hat LINUX CD-ROM, FIPS.EXE, RESTORRB.EXE, and ERRORS.TXT (from
 >the FIPSDOCS folder).
 >
 >Anyway, when I boot off either of these disks and type 'fips' at the a:
 >(floppy drive) prompt, the floppy drive's light goes on...and on...and on...
 >Nothin' happens.

Hmmm.  Seems like it's trying to load fips but not succeeding.
I'd try making another copy of fips.  Follow the instructions
carefully and of course make sure there is enough room on the floppy.

Bob T.

Help, help. 'Fips' ain't Fips'ing.

Post by kahun » Fri, 11 Dec 1998 04:00:00

are you using Win98 or Win95 OSR2 (FAT32)? If so, you need FIPS 2.0. Do an
internet search for it. That worked for me.

>Okay, I'm trying to partition off my Windows/DOS dominated new hard drive
>for a little cubby-hole for LINUX to call its own:

>I've created two system disks, first by using the 'copy system files only'
>command in the Win95 format menu, and also by using the special 'Startup
>Disk'  tab in 'Add/Remove Programs.'  I then copied over the three files
>from my Red Hat LINUX CD-ROM, FIPS.EXE, RESTORRB.EXE, and ERRORS.TXT (from
>the FIPSDOCS folder).

>Anyway, when I boot off either of these disks and type 'fips' at the a:
>(floppy drive) prompt, the floppy drive's light goes on...and on...and
on...
>Nothin' happens.

>Anybody know what gives?  Me wanna load LINUX in such a bad way...

>--
>Can't you see?
>It all makes perfect sense,
>expressed in dollars and cents,
>pounds, shillings and pence.
>Can't you see, it all makes perfect sense?
>                               -Roger Waters

Help, help. 'Fips' ain't Fips'ing.

Post by wayne barke » Sun, 13 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I also found it very important to defragment. And give it time, it took
several minutes for mine to get done.

> are you using Win98 or Win95 OSR2 (FAT32)? If so, you need FIPS 2.0. Do an
> internet search for it. That worked for me.

> >Okay, I'm trying to partition off my Windows/DOS dominated new hard drive
> >for a little cubby-hole for LINUX to call its own:

> >I've created two system disks, first by using the 'copy system files only'
> >command in the Win95 format menu, and also by using the special 'Startup
> >Disk'  tab in 'Add/Remove Programs.'  I then copied over the three files
> >from my Red Hat LINUX CD-ROM, FIPS.EXE, RESTORRB.EXE, and ERRORS.TXT (from
> >the FIPSDOCS folder).

> >Anyway, when I boot off either of these disks and type 'fips' at the a:
> >(floppy drive) prompt, the floppy drive's light goes on...and on...and
> on...
> >Nothin' happens.

> >Anybody know what gives?  Me wanna load LINUX in such a bad way...

> >--
> >********************************************************************
> >Can't you see?
> >It all makes perfect sense,
> >expressed in dollars and cents,
> >pounds, shillings and pence.
> >Can't you see, it all makes perfect sense?
> >                               -Roger Waters
> >********************************************************************

Help, help. 'Fips' ain't Fips'ing.

Post by rhubb.. » Tue, 15 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I have RedHat 5.1 and I had trouble also. It has to do with the fat
in win95.

The fips which worked for me is on the cdrom under dosutils,,,,

/mnt/cdrom/RedHat/dosutils/fips15c/fips15c/fips.exe

The two identical fips15c directories is not a typo.

Good luck

Bob

Help, help. 'Fips' ain't Fips'ing.

Post by Justin Headle » Mon, 21 Dec 1998 04:00:00

the same thing happened to me.
i just went to the fips website and got the new 2.0 and it worked fine.
and don't forget to defragment

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Me fale englesh? Thats unpossebble!" - Ralph Wiggum

1. Help ftp'ing and telnet'ing

I have a LAN with two Linux boxes and an SGI. Both machines are running
RH5.0 kernel 2.0.31. One of the Linux boxes was upgraded from RH4.0
(call it machine 1) while the other machine  (machine 2) is a new
install of RH5.0.  Any user can ftp or telnet into or out of machine 1
or the SGI however, machine 2 will only allow ftp and telnet out of
itself but will not allow anyone to ftp or telnet into it. Is there a
configuration file I need to modify to achieve this capability ? Also, I
can't ftp or telnet to machine 1 as root.

Please email me if you might know what I need to modify or what might be
missing to either query.

Thanks for all of your help.

Saif A. Warsi

2. I cant get my SCSI card (Eiger Labs PCMCIA) to work...

3. FIPS and 'Unknown file system: 0Eh' error

4. Is It Possible To Decompile Kernel Modules?

5. Help: problems with 'w', 'who' and 'last'

6. samba print authorization trouble

7. repartitioning: fips 'last cyl not free' error

8. HACMP error: no takeover

9. Help:How to use 'router','mailq','zmailer' etc?

10. Where to get 'fips'

11. 'fips' and win95

12. Help with 'user', 'w', 'who' commands

13. Error make'ing Appache; Undef'ed symbol '_crypt'...