Installing ReHat 4.1 from DOS Hard-disk ?

Installing ReHat 4.1 from DOS Hard-disk ?

Post by Rob Dav » Fri, 04 Apr 1997 04:00:00

I have downloaded the RedHat Linux 4.1 onto a PC running NT 4
workstation.  From there I want to install Linux onto a second PC.
This second PC has two hard drives the c: is a dos drive and the
second drive d: I have now made into a Linux drive.

I have made two image disks using boot.img and supp.img and have
attempted to install.  However of the choices of installation offered:
CD_ROM, nfs, ftp or hard-drive only the latter is feasible (I have no
CD player and no IP number for this second PC), however although I
have copied the Base and RPMS (?) directories onto the DOS c: drive
into the root directory, when the intallation asks where those
directories are located and I answer hda1 with path / neither
directory is located by the installation routine.  I have tried
changing the path from / to \, and even c:\ but to no avail.

Can anyone shed any light please?  I don't know how to copy the files
to the linux drive, so how do I get the installation routine to
recognise a DOS drive?

Thanks for any help you can offer, Rob
--------------------------------

Web:   http://www.unn.ac.uk/~isu8

1. installing redhat linux 4.1 from hard-disk?

I have a Pentium with a 1.6 GByte HD which is partioned into:
   C: win95 (1GB) up and running OK with Netscape and ISDN
   D: (to-be) DOS partition to have redhat installation package (150 MB)
   E: (to-be) redhat partition (400MB)

Questions:
   1. Is the above doable? Are the D and E have the right sizes?
   2. How to use ISDN/Netscape/FTP to load redhat binary to the the above
      "D:" partition?
   3. How to generate the boot disks?

Thank you for your attention!

2. ADSL/Networking Questions

3. Installing from DOS hard-disk - filename problem

4. redhat 2.1 and OS/2 boot manager

5. can we copy an installed Linux on a hard disk onto another hard disk

6. Locating bad cache ram chips?

7. Rehat 4.1 startup files?

8. Unix file name derivations - any lists around?

9. Hard disk installation of RedHat 4.1

10. rehat install from dos partition?

11. Need help installing Slackware from Dos Hard Disk

12. HOW TO INSTALL LINUX, WIN-NT, DOS AND OS2 IN THE SAME HARD DISK?

13. Installing SLS from DOS hard disk partition