Java from Sun. Will anybody port it to Linux ?

Java from Sun. Will anybody port it to Linux ?

Post by Kevin N » Sat, 20 May 1995 04:00:00

I read this on Interactive Age Daily:

Sun Microsystems next week will unveil new software that will bring interactive applications to
the World Wide Web.

Sun has developed Java, a secure, multi-threaded object-oriented programming language able to
bring in "applets," or small computer programs, from over networks and execute them on the fly.
Sun has also built a Web browser, dubbed Hot Java, built on the Java language.

Java will allow webmasters to design pages that "come to life," including the creation of such
applications as animated graphics and cartoons and live, constantly updated stock tickers or
sports scoreboards.

Users will need to run a Java-based browser. But they won't need to have viewers and players to
run different media formats. Instead, Java will dynamically download whatever software the user
needs to view a page. This capability could lead to an explosion of new media types on the Web
because Web builders no longer need to worry about whether the user will have the software
needed to view a home page in all its glory.

To encourage rapid adoption of Hot Java, Sun will follow the NCSA Mosaic model of releasing
the core code freely on the its home page, at http://www.sun.com, and setting license fees for
commercial use low. It expects to launch a new industry of developers creating Hot Java
browsers, authoring tools and content.

Sun also is in talks with all of the major online players to integrate Java into those venues as well.
Like Virtual Reality Modeling Language (VRML) -- which Java complements, rather than
competes with -- Java code is compact and concise, enabling sophisticated applets to be sent
over the network in less time than a typical graphic image. That means the technology will work
over existing, low-speed modem connections.

Java source code already is available on the Web. Hot Java browsers running on basically every
existing computer platform will be available beginning later this month -- except initially Windows
3.1.

-- Richard Karpinski

Would anybody port this to Linux and make it available to the community ?

Rgds
Kevin

Post by swamp.. » Sat, 20 May 1995 04:00:00

|> I read this on Interactive Age Daily:
|>
|> Sun Microsystems next week will unveil new software that will bring
|> interactive applications to the World Wide Web.
[...]
|> Sun has also built a Web browser, dubbed Hot Java, built on the Java
|> language.

[...]
|> Users will need to run a Java-based browser. But they won't need to
|> have viewers and players to run different media formats. Instead,
|> Java will dynamically download whatever software the user
             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|> needs to view a page.

Isn't this going to to be interesting for modem connections to the
net?  Surely there's something here I don't see!  The thought of
downloading (oh, just to pick one) 'xv' at 1.1MB to view a 16K image
across a slowish modem connection seems to redefine 'dynamic'...

--

The Gods that smiled upon your birth are laughing now. -- fortune cookie

Post by Eric J. Schwertfeg » Sun, 21 May 1995 04:00:00

: |> Users will need to run a Java-based browser. But they won't need to
: |> have viewers and players to run different media formats. Instead,
: |> Java will dynamically download whatever software the user
:              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
: |> needs to view a page.

: Isn't this going to to be interesting for modem connections to the
: net?  Surely there's something here I don't see!  The thought of
: downloading (oh, just to pick one) 'xv' at 1.1MB to view a 16K image
: across a slowish modem connection seems to redefine 'dynamic'...

Nope, Java is a byte-coded interpreter, so it should have more compact code
than Tcl/Tk, which I suspect it is closely related to, now that O is working
for Sun.  You wouldn't move xv (which is huge for a file viewer, because it
does everything and then some), you'd send a small program that would
translate the graphic format into something Hot Java could display directly.

And that would only be if the normal graphic format is unsuitable.  I very
much doubt that Hot Java will have no ability to display anything until it
downloads a viewer, as that would make it useless for connecting to anything
that isn't Java-aware.

FWIW, a byte-coded interpreter should have good speed for user-interface
stuff, since Tcl/Tk does, and that isn't even byte-coded.  Now, I wouldn't
want to use one for a mandelbrot program, or anything else
compute-intensive, but a practical user interface isn't.

Post by Andrew R. Tef » Tue, 23 May 1995 04:00:00

>|> Users will need to run a Java-based browser. But they won't need to
>|> have viewers and players to run different media formats. Instead,
>|> Java will dynamically download whatever software the user
>             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>|> needs to view a page.

>Isn't this going to to be interesting for modem connections to the
>net?  Surely there's something here I don't see!  The thought of
>downloading (oh, just to pick one) 'xv' at 1.1MB to view a 16K image
>across a slowish modem connection seems to redefine 'dynamic'...

Not *any* applications; specific applications written in a specific
language called java. The java applets I have seen are relatively small.
See http://java.sun.com/ for info. There is lots of security and other
info that is beyond the scope of this discussion. There are mailing lists
to discuss java and porting (and yes, a few people are working on
linux ports).

--

Post by Steve Dunh » Thu, 01 Jun 1995 04:00:00

: >|> Users will need to run a Java-based browser. But they won't need to
: >|> have viewers and players to run different media formats. Instead,
: >|> Java will dynamically download whatever software the user
: >             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
: >|> needs to view a page.
: >
: >Isn't this going to to be interesting for modem connections to the
: >net?  Surely there's something here I don't see!  The thought of
: >downloading (oh, just to pick one) 'xv' at 1.1MB to view a 16K image
: >across a slowish modem connection seems to redefine 'dynamic'...

: Not *any* applications; specific applications written in a specific
: language called java. The java applets I have seen are relatively small.
: See http://java.sun.com/ for info. There is lots of security and other
: info that is beyond the scope of this discussion. There are mailing lists
: to discuss java and porting (and yes, a few people are working on
: linux ports).

Do take a look at the web page (I love all the nice coffee cup
pictures).  It's nice little language - like a cleaned up C++; if you
know C++ you can learn Java just by looking at some examples.
Anyways, HotJava is Sun's Java-aware web browser. With it you can add
little apps to your web page _and_ you can extend HotJava to handle
different MIME data types with Java - e.g. you could tell it how to
decode text/richtext files into HTML by writing a Java class and
sticking it in the right directory.

Also, Java is compiled to bytecode.  So Java code should be reasonably
fast, compact, and independent of architecture, but the Java source
never gets sent over the net.

The problem with porting it is that it requires multithreading.  (I am
not the one porting it, I don't even have the source code.)

I hope we get a port soon.  This _is_ the future of the web - Netscape
communications is licencing it, and Sun is porting it to Win32 and NT.
(Also, if we get a Linux port before September, we could enter the
contest.)

Steve

1. java/47447: linux-sun-jdk1.4.1: java command can't find java.lang.Object

This was a relatively fresh system.  I did not have any other versions of Java
on my system.

When running the java command I get the following:

# /usr/local/linux-sun-jdk1.4.1/bin/java
count = 3714, total = 8508
java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object

Please note that this bug is the same for either root or normal users.  Also
note that setting JAVA_HOME as well as CLASSPATH did not fix the problem.

/usr/local/linux-sun-jdk1.4.1/bin/java

To work around this problem, I'm using the linux-blackdown-jdk1.4.1 port.

2. Sendmail/UUCP - uux problems

3. FreeBSD ports/java/linux-sun-jdk13 needs updating for j2sdk-

4. Samba os level question

5. Fwd: cvs commit: ports/java/linux-sun-jdk12 Makefile distinfo pkg-plist

6. XFree86 setup

7. Fwd: cvs commit: ports/java/linux-sun-jdk14 Makefile

8. signing code

9. Fwd: cvs commit: ports/java/linux-sun-jdk13 Makefile distinfo

10. [Fwd: IBM,SUN Netscape alliance for the Java Porting and Tuning Center and Linux]

11. Announcing Java, Sun JDK 1.1.3 Port to MkLinux, Linux-PMac, LinuxPPC

12. FreeBSD ports/java/linux-sun-jdk13 needs updating for j2sdk- 1_3_1_06-linux-i586.bin