Help: needed from 'boot guru' WEIRD problem...

Help: needed from 'boot guru' WEIRD problem...

Post by Monta Elkin » Sat, 29 Jun 1996 04:00:00

I'm having a bizzare problem with my Caldera Linux
(RedHat).

I can install it.  Set it up and run it it for days.
I can 'shutdown -r now' and it comes up fine.

---------------------
BUT
_____________________

If I turn the power off after I install it.
It won't boot!!!!!

It freezes at "VFS: mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly."

I can boot from floppy and mount /dev/hda2.
I can read files, write them, create them, fschk.ext2
reports no problems ---

BUT some of the programs won't run.
The shell say file not found.
(I tried ./init and ./bash in the appropriate directories)

I can see the files with ls -l, length and date looks fine.
I can copy and cat them (for all the good it does)
but they won't run.

I'm thinking that maybe init won't run from the Harddrive
(I'm running a PCI Pentium 60 from Acer with 16 MB)

WHY?!?!?!

Thats weird!

I can reboot it all I want  -- IF I DON'T POWER DOWN....

This is driving me nuts.
I NEED this server to work for an important project.

Anyway does anybody have a clue why a HD gets screwed after
a power off.  (Yes I waited 'til shutdown was through.
-fschk finds NO problems)

P.S.

I installed originally from NFS mount across ethernet....

If you can help me figure this out I'll be forever in your debt
(Of course that and $1 will buy you a pop...)

Thanks in advance,
-Monta

The CMOS drive geometry matches the spec's on the drive....

Post by mell » Wed, 03 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>I'm having a bizzare problem with my Caldera Linux
>(RedHat).

>I can install it.  Set it up and run it it for days.
>I can 'shutdown -r now' and it comes up fine.

>---------------------
>BUT
>_____________________

>If I turn the power off after I install it.
>It won't boot!!!!!

I can't help with the booting problem as I'm still trying
to figure out how to boot off the hard drive myself,
but if you try to run programs and you see them
with ls and the system tells you "no such file or
directory" then you might not have this in your
etc/fstab file
/proc   /proc   proc    proc

Try running the ps command.  If this is the problem
it will tell you how to run 'mount' to fix it.  If things
like the 'free' command that I had this error with,
and ps start working, then you need to add the line
to etc/fstab and you should be okay.

My problem is no matter what I do, when linux tries
to boot using lilo off the hard drive it says vfs cannot
mount root on 3:04 which is my linux partition.  If I
boot the lilo floppy and do mount root=/dev/hda4
everything is fine, but it takes *forever* grining away
on the floppy to load 'mount'.  With all the booting
you have to do in linux to configure stuff I'll be retired
booting off the floppy like this!  :)

Post by George D » Tue, 09 Jul 1996 04:00:00

]If I turn the power off after I install it.
]It won't boot!!!!!
]

That's a good one.  The fact that it is ok if you reboot rules out the Linux
config and setup.  You are looking for what is different between a reboot and a
power-up.

All I can think of is the CMOS relies on the battery during a power-cycle, but
not during a re-boot.  Check all your CMOS settings.

May be something to do with the drive spinning down?? Doubt it, but..

May be a problem loading BIOS? or disk controller?

George Dau

1. Help: needed from 'boot guru' WEIRD problem..

I solved the problem (in case anyone is interested
or is having the same one.)

It was a problem with the hard disk drive.

I swapped it for another one and things
worked fine.

-Monta

Newsgroups:   comp.os.linux.setup

[...]

2. A question on thread-safety

3. help needed: AWE32 PNP won't work - kernel won't compile - gurus read this!

4. Apache 1.2.6 upgraded to 1.3.1 - vhost works!, but with a few errors

5. Need clarification: what really is 'MBR' and what is 'BOOT SECTOR'?

6. Incredible News: Linux is a best seller!!!

7. weird problem with repaired Acer monitor, need guru/help

8. XF86Config / Trident ProVidia 9685 (GUI 9660) / EO-17 Princeton

9. Help: problems with 'w', 'who' and 'last'

10. Guru's Help: Newbie's 1st install

11. Need SENDMAIL Guru's help, ASAP!

12. ufsdump dd tape guru's I need your help

13. Need Help Please from Linux Guru's for a dos oldtimer