? about building kernel

Post by vadi » Wed, 29 May 1996 04:00:00

Hi,

I just was wondering if someone had problems similar to mine
when building kernel (btw I am new to linux, so my question
is most likely stupid, but anyway FAQ and HOWTO  does not
cover it, or I did not find the right HOWTO, so please bear with me)

1) I downloaded the linux-1.2.13.tar.gz into /usr/src/
        from sunsite.unc.edu /pub/Linux/kernel/v1.2/
2) tar xzf linux-1.2.13.tar.gz
3) make config
4) make dep
5) make clean
6) make zImage
Here I am having some problems.
While the downloaded make script compiles the files
everything is OK. When the make script tries to link the stuff:
ld -qmagic -Ttest .... .... -o vmlinux
I am getting the whole bunch of "undefined simbol" warnings and
errors. BTW the gcc version is 2.7.0.
I'd appreciate any insights on why my linker does not link the
object files. Thanks alot.

--Vadim--

1. building kernel from redhat kernel source

hi

i have tried to build my own kernel with the from redhat provided sources.

i downloaded the latest package:
kernel-source-2.4.20-18.9.i386.rpm

for configuration i used xconfig

when i tried to compile the kernel i always got 2 errors...

with the kernel sources from kernel.org the .config file works well

do i have do use an other command for configuring the kernel?
is menuconfig better than xconfig??

any ideas??
thanx in advance
cu hausi

2. Archive/Library format

3. error building kernel module for cirrus graphic card - kernel 2.5.68

4. \/irtual Terminals

5. Building kernel with IFS = broken kernel?

6. Telnet stream

7. built kernel too large!!!!

8. Virus2

9. got problem "ld -lc not found" when tried build kernel

10. ELF binaries seg fault under built kernels?

11. How to put new build kernel into Grub

12. built kernel

13. error building - kernel 2.5.47 +patch2.5.47-bk2