make dep fails?

Post by Patrick Berg » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I am trying to compile the 2.2.6-15pmac kernel (to fix a bugs with my
video and get my ethernet working).  I completed the 'make config'.
I then ran 'make dep' and it died when it got the ..../drivers/net with
'*** No rule to make target fastdep.  Stop.'.

What do I do?  I just replaced the platniumfb.c file in video and
ne2k-pci.c in net .

make dep fails?

Post by henr » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Any pointers on this would be appreciated:

After compiling a new kernel, setting up lilo, and rebooting, the
following error message is always displayed:

----------------------------------
VFS:    Cannot open root device 08:02
Kernel Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 08:02
----------------------------------

This ONLY happens with my SCSI (aha2940) setup, never with IDE.  The rdev
util reports the same details on the old (working) and new kernels, eg,

rdev /vmlinuz    -->    Root device /dev/sda2
rdev -o 510 /vmlinuz   -->    Root device 0xaa55
rootflags /vmlinuz  -->    Root flags 1

(sda2 being the linux boot partition).    The /etc/lilo.conf is as
follows:

boot = /dev/sda
.
.
.
image = /vmlinuz
    root = /dev/sda2
    label = linux.new
    read-only

image = /vmlinuz.old
    root = /dev/sda2
    label = linux.old
    read-only

It works perfectly with the old kernel, but not with any new kernel that I
compile (as mentioned, it works swell with IDE).  I seem to be missing
something here.

Thanks
Henry

[...]

oops, sorry Patrick - wrong post.

> Any pointers on this would be appreciated:

> After compiling a new kernel, setting up lilo, and rebooting, the
> following error message is always displayed:

> ----------------------------------
> VFS:    Cannot open root device 08:02
> Kernel Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 08:02

<snip>

make dep fails?

Post by Vilmos Sot » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> After compiling a new kernel, setting up lilo, and rebooting, the
> following error message is always displayed:

> ----------------------------------
> VFS:    Cannot open root device 08:02
> Kernel Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 08:02
> ----------------------------------

> This ONLY happens with my SCSI (aha2940) setup, never with IDE.  The
> rdev
> util reports the same details on the old (working) and new kernels, eg,

Do you have the scsi driver compiled into the kernel? Also the ext2 and
elf?

Vilmos

1. SOLVED: make dep fails (kernel compile)

Thanks to those who gave tips and whatnot on the make dep problems
recently. I mentioned that make dep failed in the same place over and
over (when getting to the first .hdepend). One thing I didn't mention was
that I was using a umsdos setup (out of necessity).

Recently I finally moved everything over to ext2 fs after getting a
backup device. Besides things running smoother and faster the
seg faults disappeared so the problem is no more.
Somehow DOS's FAT was the problem.

--

Marc D. Williams

IRC Nick: Senshi        Channel: #dos  #IrcHelp
http://www.agate.net/~tvdog/internet.html  --  DOS Internet

2. Install problems

3. make dep fails

4. Schematic Editor for Linux?

5. make dep & make menuconfig fail with kernel 2.2

6. talk

7. Failing to "make dep" for patched MOL-kernel on 7200 (R5)

8. TV/video capture for Linux

9. Failed: lib/modules/2.2.6/-15apmac/modules.dep

10. /lib/modules/2.2.6-15apmac/modules.dep failed

11. "make dep" fails in 2.0.29

12. make dep fails (kernel compile)

13. failed dep. perl(strict)