Need to partition 11gig HD

Post by Adam Hes » Sun, 12 Jul 1998 04:00:00

    Does anybody know of a freeware program that can resize a fat32
partition that is larger than 8gig.(8gig seems to be the max for most
programs).  I need to make room for a 2gig linux partition on my 11gig
hard drive.  I am using win98 so I need something that can resize a
FAT32 file system. thanks
-Adam Hess

Need to partition 11gig HD

Post by HailHail » Sun, 12 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>    Does anybody know of a freeware program that can resize a fat32

FDISK..  back up your important shit (if any) and just run fdisk..  Very
simple!!

Need to partition 11gig HD

Post by Adam Hes » Sun, 12 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> >    Does anybody know of a freeware program that can resize a fat32

> FDISK..  back up your important shit (if any) and just run fdisk..
> Very
> simple!!

i forgot to mention without having to delete everything
i just want to know if there is any program that will resize fat32
partition
whithout  destroying the data on the disk

Need to partition 11gig HD

Post by Pieter Kru » Mon, 13 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> > >    Does anybody know of a freeware program that can resize a fat32

> > FDISK..  back up your important shit (if any) and just run fdisk..
> > Very
> > simple!!

> i forgot to mention without having to delete everything
> i just want to know if there is any program that will resize fat32
> partition
> whithout  destroying the data on the disk

I believe the latest version of FIPS.EXE does just that (amongst others)
http://www.student.informatik.th-darmstadt.de/~schaefer/fips.html

But why not do something like

Disk /dev/hdc: 16 heads, 63 sectors, 22332 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 1008 * 512 bytes

Device Boot   Begin    Start      End   Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hdc1            1        1    22332 11255296+  83  Linux native

/dev/hdc1     ext2   10840347 2761841  7515742     27%   /data1

--

Pieter

root at dare.demon.nl

"I kept feeding it floppies, and all it said was
 that some General was reading my harddisk..."

Need to partition 11gig HD

Post by Gene » Sun, 26 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Why the hell did ya go and do that for? Major waste of space.
Exactly what utilities have you tried or looked at?

>     Does anybody know of a freeware program that can resize a fat32
> partition that is larger than 8gig.(8gig seems to be the max for most
> programs).  I need to make room for a 2gig linux partition on my 11gig
> hard drive.  I am using win98 so I need something that can resize a
> FAT32 file system. thanks
> -Adam Hess

Need to partition 11gig HD

Post by Rick Sute » Tue, 28 Jul 1998 04:00:00

>Why the hell did ya go and do that for? Major waste of space.
>Exactly what utilities have you tried or looked at?

>>     Does anybody know of a freeware program that can resize a fat32
>> partition that is larger than 8gig.(8gig seems to be the max for most
>> programs).  I need to make room for a 2gig linux partition on my 11gig
>> hard drive.  I am using win98 so I need something that can resize a
>> FAT32 file system. thanks
>> -Adam Hess

You better find out if you have a fat32 or fat32x file system.

I had the same problem with an IBM 10G HD from gateway that came in one big
C: partition. Everything from gateway and windoze indicated it was fat32.
Many have advised that PowerQuest's Partition Magic was a good tool for
re-sizing fat32 partitions. After purchasing and starting partition magic it
said the partition was fat32x (type "other" 0c hex). Apparently this is used
on disks larger than 8G. (damn, I should have done more research)

Some searching in dejanews revealed that partition magic can't handle
fat32x. PowerQuest hasn't replied to my email regarding if or when it will
be supported.

I finally used dos fdisk to delete the partition, create a smaller one, and
dos format to wipe it clean. Then there was the major pain of re-installing
windoze98 properly. (several calls to gateway to get around bugs in their
system restoration CD, get sound working, etc.)

I'm finally ready to try the redhat 5.1 install, I hope.

Search dejanews for "fat32x AND partition" in the *linux*, *windows* NG's.
You probably won't like what you find however.

Good luck and please let us know if you find a better way.

Rick

Need to partition 11gig HD

Post by Nigel Moor » Fri, 31 Jul 1998 04:00:00

you can alsp get a program called fips, the latest version supports FAT32
and is called fips15c.zip or something like that...

--Nige

Quote:> >    Does anybody know of a freeware program that can resize a fat32

> FDISK..  back up your important shit (if any) and just run fdisk..  Very
> simple!!

Need to partition 11gig HD

Post by Eric Brow » Fri, 31 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I just now found the latest release at  http://www.igd.fhg.de/~aschaefe/fips/
, fips 2.0.    Apparently, 1.5 c is not "official."  Who knows.  The strange
thing about 2.0 is that when running fips, it says you're running version 1.5
(but in the readme, it refers to 2.0.)  Who knows :)

Of course, I have a feeling I'm going to have to go out and buy Partition
Magic to get linux running on my system. Ugh. Spending money.  How horrid.

Good luck!
eb
http://come.to/B&W

Need to partition 11gig HD

Post by Bob Nixo » Sun, 02 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> >Why the hell did ya go and do that for? Major waste of space.
> >Exactly what utilities have you tried or looked at?

> >>     Does anybody know of a freeware program that can resize a fat32
> >> partition that is larger than 8gig.(8gig seems to be the max for most
> >> programs).  I need to make room for a 2gig linux partition on my 11gig
> >> hard drive.  I am using win98 so I need something that can resize a
> >> FAT32 file system. thanks
> >> -Adam Hess

> You better find out if you have a fat32 or fat32x file system.

> I had the same problem with an IBM 10G HD from gateway that came in one big
> C: partition. Everything from gateway and windoze indicated it was fat32.
> Many have advised that PowerQuest's Partition Magic was a good tool for
> re-sizing fat32 partitions. After purchasing and starting partition magic it
> said the partition was fat32x (type "other" 0c hex). Apparently this is used
> on disks larger than 8G. (damn, I should have done more research)

> Some searching in dejanews revealed that partition magic can't handle
> fat32x. PowerQuest hasn't replied to my email regarding if or when it will
> be supported.

Wrong. PQmagic 3.0---3.04 supports fat 32 creation and resizing. I use it all
the time for manipulating my fat32 partitions. BTW, Power Quest is arrogant and
never replies to email. Further, they are extremely paranoid about piracy of
their software and require that you install PQmagic on only one HD at a time.
Any upgrade correspondence or other information must include your CD's serial
number. This is potential security problem in itself, via the internet.

Quote:

> I finally used dos fdisk to delete the partition, create a smaller one, and
> dos format to wipe it clean. Then there was the major pain of re-installing
> windoze98 properly. (several calls to gateway to get around bugs in their
> system restoration CD, get sound working, etc.)

> I'm finally ready to try the redhat 5.1 install, I hope.

> Search dejanews for "fat32x AND partition" in the *linux*, *windows* NG's.
> You probably won't like what you find however.

> Good luck and please let us know if you find a better way.

> Rick

Need to partition 11gig HD

Post by Rick Sute » Sun, 02 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> [...]
[trimmed]

>> You better find out if you have a fat32 or fat32x file system.

>> I had the same problem with an IBM 10G HD from gateway that came in one
[trimmed]
>> After purchasing and starting partition magic it
>> said the partition was fat32x (type "other" 0c hex). Apparently this is
used
>> on disks larger than 8G. (damn, I should have done more research)

>> Some searching in dejanews revealed that partition magic can't handle
>> fat32x. PowerQuest hasn't replied to my email regarding if or when it
will
>> be supported.

>Wrong. PQmagic 3.0---3.04 supports fat 32 creation and resizing. I use it
all
>the time for manipulating my fat32 partitions. BTW, Power Quest is arrogant
and
>never replies to email. Further, they are extremely paranoid about piracy
of
>their software and require that you install PQmagic on only one HD at a
time.
>Any upgrade correspondence or other information must include your CD's
serial
>number. This is potential security problem in itself, via the internet.

What is wrong? I said it doesn't handle fat32x (type 0C hex) which it
doesn't. It does handle fat32 (type 0B hex). That was the point.

Power Quest recently responded to my email stating that if purchased after
July 15th I would get a free upgrade to Partition Magic ver 4.0 when it
comes out "sometime next month" (Aug). They claim  4.0 will properly handle
fat32x (type 0C) which is used on IDE drives larger than 8G. We'll see about
that.

-rick-

1. Linux (mandrake 6) and big (11gig) ext2 partition

hello to all,

Is there a performance problem with linux, particularly Mandrake 6 (kernel
2.2.9), using large ext2 partition?  By large, I'm talking about 10 gig.

Previously I had a wonderful Mandrake 6 setup on a IBM 10gig HD (shared
between linux/98).  Everything was great except I was running out of disk
space.  So I added a Matrox 17gig (4320) HD, and
repartitioned both HD.  I then reinstalled both Mandrake 6 and win98, but
performance under linux is poor, and the system is very unstable.  For
example, I was removing a RPM package using "rpm -e <filename>" command.
There was heavy disk-access for about 5 minutes and the machine was very
sluggish.  Linux eventually crashed and I had to reboot the machine.  It
happened twice.

I have included my HD information at the end of this message, if that
helps.  In short, I have a 3 gig partition in /dev/hda as "/" directory,
and a 10 gig partition in /dev/hdc as "/home" directory.  I'm fairly
certain all the hardware (cabling, etc) are done correctly.

Can anyone shed a light into this matter?  Is 10gig too large for ext2 to
handle?  What are the possible cause for this performance degradation?

thanx in advance,

Elvis

ps.  The following is what's reported from fdisk.  All 4gig partitions are
reserved for NTFS.

IDE primary:  Matrox 4320 17gig HD,

Disk /dev/hda: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 2100 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/hda1 * 1 261 2096451 6 FAT16
/dev/hda2 262 2100 14771767+ f Win95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/hda5 262 777 4144738+ b Win95 FAT32
/dev/hda6 778 793 128488+ 82 Linux swap
/dev/hda7 794 2100 10498446 83 Linux

Primary slave:  none

Secondary Master:  IBM 10 gig
Disk /dev/hdc: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 1232 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/hdc1 2 1232 9888007+ f Win95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/hdc5 2 384 3076416 83 Linux
/dev/hdc6 385 900 4144738+ b Win95 FAT32
/dev/hdc7 901 916 128488+ 82 Linux swap
/dev/hdc8 917 1232 2538238+ b Win95 FAT32

Secondary Slave:  Pioneer 32x IDE CDROM

2. Newbie Help-Login Failure

3. Advice Needed - Partitioning New HD For Linux

4. schematic capture for unix

5. Need help: fdisk / 1+G scsi HD / dos trashes adjacent partition

6. Xterminals

7. Does / need a separate physical IDE HD partition?

8. Lefty mouse & rxvt on Linux(cont'd)..

9. Need help partitioning HD with Ontrack Disk Manager

10. Need help with HD Partition

11. need suggestion in allocating space for different partition for 60G HD..

12. Need your suggestion on how many partition for my 30GB hd??

13. Need Help: Setup RedHat 5.1 CD on Single HD(2 Partitions) running Win98.