IBM.net and kppp

Post by Miguel A. River » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I'm trying to connect to ibm.net through kppp in kde 1.1.2. Tried
terminal based loggin and get a no carrier response, tried PAP and get a
"The PPP daemon died unexpectedlly!"
from the debug window this is what I get:

pppd 2.3.8 started by root, uid O
user interface pppO
Connect:pppO<-->/dev/ttyS3
Hangup(SIGHUP)
Modem hangup
Connection terminated
Exit

Any help would be appreciated, using Caldera OpenLinux 2.3

Miguel

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

IBM.net and kppp

Post by jvpea.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi,

I am having *exactly* the same problem that you described, with a SuSE
6.3 distribution. Did you find any way around it? There seems to be no
reference anywhere to the 'NO CARRIER' error message.

Jon.

Quote:> I'm trying to connect to ibm.net through kppp in kde 1.1.2. Tried
> terminal based loggin and get a no carrier response, tried PAP and
get a
> "The PPP daemon died unexpectedlly!"
> from the debug window this is what I get:

> pppd 2.3.8 started by root, uid O
> user interface pppO
> Connect:pppO<-->/dev/ttyS3
> Hangup(SIGHUP)
> Modem hangup
> Connection terminated
> Exit

> Any help would be appreciated, using Caldera OpenLinux 2.3

> Miguel

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

IBM.net and kppp

Post by Miguel A. River » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hello there, yes I found a way around the problem, but without kppp's
help. In ibm.net/attglobal.net web page there are sample scipts to get
connected and that is how I'm connected right now. The page is,
http://help.attbusiness.net/scripts/index.html . Try the slip.script its
the easiest to setup. I'm trying right now with the X-isp utility I
downloaded from the net, it's similar to kppp but till now no success.
If I get anything I'll let you know, I hope you do likewise.
Hope this helps,

Miguel

> Hi,

> I am having *exactly* the same problem that you described, with a SuSE
> 6.3 distribution. Did you find any way around it? There seems to be no
> reference anywhere to the 'NO CARRIER' error message.

> Jon.

> > I'm trying to connect to ibm.net through kppp in kde 1.1.2. Tried
> > terminal based loggin and get a no carrier response, tried PAP and
> get a
> > "The PPP daemon died unexpectedlly!"
> > from the debug window this is what I get:

> > pppd 2.3.8 started by root, uid O
> > user interface pppO
> > Connect:pppO<-->/dev/ttyS3
> > Hangup(SIGHUP)
> > Modem hangup
> > Connection terminated
> > Exit

> > Any help would be appreciated, using Caldera OpenLinux 2.3

> > Miguel

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. Setting Up kPPP to use on ibm.net

I had the same problem, and I know that pppd is setup correctly because
it'll work fine if I use the RH 'netcfg' frontend to make the scripts. I
don't know why it did that.

That being said, (and no help being given *G*) I still prefer to use Dip
invoked from a shell script. The actual Dip script is completetly
configurable, and mine, for instance, will dial a round-robin of numbers
until it gets the connect, and will redial if the connect is dropped. It's
text mode, and it takes a few minutes more to setup, but it's so flexible.

Anyway, as you can tell, I was only suggesting that you take a look. If you
ever decide to give Dip a try, I can show some examples of scripts. And
being run in a text window (that just gets minimized anyway) rather than a
graphical frontend, it uses less system resources.

--

-----------------------------

-----------------------------

2. Telnet login problem?

3. kppp using ibm.net

4. XF86Config

5. Setting Up kPPP to use on ibm.net

6. Problem with perl_patch for SunOs 5.

7. ppp on ibm.net

8. TCP/IP: Where do I come from? Summary & Thanks

9. ibm.net

10. IBM.NET and PPP 2.2.0

11. IBM.NET connection problem

12. ibm.net ppp setup problem