Golden Sound and Panasonic CD-ROM under RedHat Linux 6.0

Golden Sound and Panasonic CD-ROM under RedHat Linux 6.0

Post by Roderick B. Greenin » Wed, 02 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I can't seen to get my system to install RedHat 6.0 from CD-ROM. The
setup program does not detect my CD-ROM. I have tried all CD-ROM types
listed in the setup, but to no avail.

What I have is a 486, SX 50 with a golden sound 3-in-1 card and a
Panasonic CD-ROM attached. The golden sound card has IRQ 5, DMA 3, and
IO base address
of 310 (for CD-ROM). I have tried sbpcd=0x310,LaserMate as indicated for
soundblaster compatible cards with Panasonic CD-ROMs. This doesn't work
(nor does autoprobe). I even removed any ISA cards that could have
caused a conflict. It does work under windows 95 though, and I can
verify that the address is 0x310.

If anyone can help, I would appreciate it very much.

1. Linux from Nascent CD-ROM won't mount my panasonic cd-rom drive

        Hi, I just bought the Linux from Nascent CD-ROM and have been attempting
to install it on my 486DX2/66 machine.  I have a cardex SVGA card using a
Cirrus chipset and 1 meg of video ram.  I have 16 megs of 60-ns memory.  I also
have a local bus IDE hard drive controller (32-bit) running two 340-meg
western digital hard drives.  Oh, the video is local bus, too.  I also have
an IOMEGA floptical drive, as well as the almost expected 3.5" and 5.25"
floppies.  I also have a Soundblaster 16 sound card that is driving my CD-drive,
the setup that comes together in a multimedia pack, I forget the exact name,
but it is a fairly standard one.  It is a Panasonic cd-drive by the way.
A panasonic 54- something I think.  When I boot and root my way into Linux,
It won't mount my cd-drive.  Since the program files are all on CD, that
means I can't install.  I followed the instructions for fixing this problemm
in the manual, i.e. "mknod /dev/sbpcd b 25 0"
                    "ln -fs /dev/sbpcd /dev/cdrom"
This looked fine, but when I rebooted, Linux still wouldn't mount my drive.
I even tried getting new root and boot images via anonymous FTP and rawrite.
No dice.  Does anyone have any ideas?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Mike Van Camp

2. New Linux Drivers - Configure question

3. Linux driver for Sound Blaster Panasonic CR-562-x 5.00 CD-ROM

4. iBoot success, sort of

5. XFM

6. Problem with Sound Blaster 16 With Panasonic CD-ROM under Linux System

7. Linux and token ring

8. Redhat Linux 2.0.13 not detecting CD-Rom Panasonic CR574B

9. CD ROM Support For Older Panasonic CD-ROM Drives

10. Installing from Matashi/Panasonic CD-ROM CR-574 plugged into Sound Blaster 32

11. Panasonic CD-rom drive and Mozart sound card