Cannot open fixed fonts!

Post by <chir.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I run setup->X-configuration.Server test is fine. I see message "can you
see this messages" I quit saying yes.Quit Setup,run startx .I fail to start
it up with a final error message

Cannot open default font fixed.

Can anybody help me out here?

Thanks in advance.

chirag

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

Cannot open fixed fonts!

Post by Hal Burgi » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>I run setup->X-configuration.Server test is fine. I see message "can
>you see this messages" I quit saying yes.Quit Setup,run startx .I fail
>to start it up with a final error message

>Cannot open default font fixed.

X can't find any fonts, or at least is confused about where they are.

Quote:>Can anybody help me out here?

Which distro and are you running a font server, like xfs that comes with
RH6.x?

--
Hal B

--
            Linux helps those who help themselves

Cannot open fixed fonts!

Post by j.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>>I run setup->X-configuration.Server test is fine. I see message "can
>>you see this messages" I quit saying yes.Quit Setup,run startx .I fail
>>to start it up with a final error message

>>Cannot open default font fixed.

>X can't find any fonts, or at least is confused about where they are.

>>Can anybody help me out here?

>Which distro and are you running a font server, like xfs that comes with
>RH6.x?

        Yup. In Redhat 6.x the default font config all goes through
        xfs. No xfs, no X fonts, X barfs...

        Try to restart xfs: /etc/rc.d/init.d/xfs restart

--

   The best OS in the world is ultimately useless         |||
   if it is controlled by a Tramiel, Jobs or Gates.      / | \

                Searching for sane PPP docs? Try http://penguin.lvcm.com

Cannot open fixed fonts!

Post by <chirag_h_pa.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

okay xfs start says X server started [OK]
however xfs status
says
xfs dead subsys locked

xfs stop says Shuttind down X server [failed]

Thanks
chirag

> >>I run setup->X-configuration.Server test is fine. I see message "can
> >>you see this messages" I quit saying yes.Quit Setup,run startx .I fail
> >>to start it up with a final error message

> >>Cannot open default font fixed.

> >X can't find any fonts, or at least is confused about where they are.

> >>Can anybody help me out here?

> >Which distro and are you running a font server, like xfs that comes with
> >RH6.x?

> Yup. In Redhat 6.x the default font config all goes through
> xfs. No xfs, no X fonts, X barfs...

> Try to restart xfs: /etc/rc.d/init.d/xfs restart

> --

>    The best OS in the world is ultimately useless         |||
>    if it is controlled by a Tramiel, Jobs or Gates.      / |
> Searching for sane PPP docs? Try http://penguin.lvcm.com

Cannot open fixed fonts!

Post by <chirag_h_pa.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

BTW   I use RH6.0

> >>I run setup->X-configuration.Server test is fine. I see message "can
> >>you see this messages" I quit saying yes.Quit Setup,run startx .I fail
> >>to start it up with a final error message

> >>Cannot open default font fixed.

> >X can't find any fonts, or at least is confused about where they are.

> >>Can anybody help me out here?

> >Which distro and are you running a font server, like xfs that comes with
> >RH6.x?

> Yup. In Redhat 6.x the default font config all goes through
> xfs. No xfs, no X fonts, X barfs...

> Try to restart xfs: /etc/rc.d/init.d/xfs restart

> --

>    The best OS in the world is ultimately useless         |||
>    if it is controlled by a Tramiel, Jobs or Gates.      / |
> Searching for sane PPP docs? Try http://penguin.lvcm.com

1. Error: Cannot open fixed font

This is my first Debian installation. It didn't make it
to the end because x-configuration ended with errno = 111
Can't connect to socket (repeat 6 times)

It is Debian Potato 2.2r4 on Pentium 200 MMX with Trio DX
graphics card 4 MB ram.

What could I do?

2. Does 2.1.x have better scheduling?

3. Font Problem: could not open default font 'fixed'

4. Microsoft Natural Keyboard in X

5. HP laserjet 2P+ printer config files

6. KDE 2.1.x Fixed Width Fonts Free Feeble Font Fix

7. Refresh rate in X

8. could not open default font "fixed"

9. cannot open default font

10. could not open default font 'fixed' ??

11. Cannot start X server because fixed fonts are not found

12. XFree86 3.3.3 and 'could not open default font fixed'