PCMCIA ethernet HELP!!!

Post by Laszlo Ladan » Sun, 07 Jan 1996 04:00:00

I have a Gateway SOLO laptop (PCI bus) and a D-Link DE-650 PCMCIA ethernet
card. I have followed the PCMCIA-HOWTO, but can't get the thing working.
The kernel is version 1.3.45, the pcmcia is 2.8.4.
I got to the point that the cardmanager recognizes the card , gives a
unique irq and port address to the card. However, when I try to mount
something via nfs, the rpc port mapper times out.
The processor is fast (P-120), so I think I should set some options,
like fast_pci or something. I tried to put some into the PCIC_OPTS
line in the /etc/sysconfig/pcmcia file, but nothing worked.

Could someone point me to the right direction? I would badly need help.

Thanks in advance,
   Laci Ladanyi
| Laci Ladanyi           | God made one mistake when he created man: |

PCMCIA ethernet HELP!!!

Post by David Hin » Tue, 09 Jan 1996 04:00:00

: I have a Gateway SOLO laptop (PCI bus) and a D-Link DE-650 PCMCIA ethernet
: card. I have followed the PCMCIA-HOWTO, but can't get the thing working.
: The kernel is version 1.3.45, the pcmcia is 2.8.4.
: I got to the point that the cardmanager recognizes the card , gives a
: unique irq and port address to the card. However, when I try to mount
: something via nfs, the rpc port mapper times out.
: The processor is fast (P-120), so I think I should set some options,
: like fast_pci or something. I tried to put some into the PCIC_OPTS
: line in the /etc/sysconfig/pcmcia file, but nothing worked.

There's a list of things to try in the PCMCIA-HOWTO.  You could have a
port and/or interrupt conflict.  An interrupt conflict is the more
likely of the two.  You should try something simpler than NFS to test
the connection: just use "ping" or "ftp", you're more likely to get an
informative error message.

"fast_pci" applies only to Cirrus PCI-to-PCMCIA controllers.  I can't
tell if it could/would apply to your system.

        -- Dave Hinds

1. PCMCIA Ethernet help needed

I'm a newbie to Linux and have recently installed RH6.0 on a Sony
notebook (Chris Mc Donough's page at
http://sharon.iqgroup.com/vaiopcg808.html being invaluable in that
regard), and I'm having trouble sorting out my PCMCIA situation.  I am
hoping someone here can help, or direct me to the best help.

I'm trying to see if the xirc2ps-cs.c client will work with my Xircom
RealPort Ethernet 10/100 card.  I've rebuilt the kernel according to the
instructions in the PCMCIA-HOWTO (well, also to get the sound card
working, thanks to Chris McD again), but have run into a problem: the
HOW-TO says the XForms toolkit is optional, but trying to run "make
config" from /pcmcia-cs-3.0.9 causes it to quit out saying I *must* have
XForms installed.  I installed everything that looked remotely like
development tools when I installed Linux, so I'm confused as to how I
managed to not get the XForms toolkit.  Where should it be, if it is on my
system?  Is there a way that I can get the PCMCIA make config to not
require XForms, as the HOW-TO suggests?

And is this what I'm supposed to do?  In Linuxconf in
Config/Networking/Basic Host Information/Adaptor 1 there is the "kernel
module" choice: is running the PCMCIA config stuff going to put the Xircom
driver here?  Am I running around doing irrelevant things?  What I'm
picturing is going to happen is I run the PCMCIA config, it makes the
Xircom driver available in Linuxconf, which enables my card.  I then plug
in my ISP info and I'm good to go.  Am I completely off base as to how
this is going to go?  Are there other files I'm going to have to edit?
If anyone could give me a bit of direction on where I can get the most
appropriate help, that would be great (or if someone's done this already
and can give me a rundown, that would be cool, too).

I'm in the bad situation of having no way to copy files to this machine
except by floppy right now.  My Windows machine is humming along on my DSL
line, and I want to get this laptop on it as soon as I can.

All in all Linux seems pretty fun: definitely a much higher barrier to
entry than other PC OSes, but also more involving.  It just seems you need
to know 500 things all at once, before much of it makes a lot of sense.

Harry Teasley

--
"No, it's not offensive. It's just not funny, which in this case is
worse." -DMP

Visit the AFU archives at www.urbanlegends.com

2. Hard Drive Recommendation

3. PCMCIA, ethernet, help me (please)

4. Errors on installing Mandrake

5. DE650 PCMCIA ethernet help - errors sending/receiving etc.

6. remote login using XDMCP with GDM

7. Ethernet PCMCIA Card installation - help.help.help

8. udp time service not working correctly

9. OT: Are Cardbus Fast Ethernet cards REALLY FASTER than PCMCIA Fast Ethernet cards

10. Xircom Ethernet PCMCIA info needed for the Ethernet driver?

11. GVC Ethernet Combo card - PCMCIA ethernet under RH 4.1

12. 2.5.47 - PCMCIA ethernet and wireless ethernet bugs

13. 3Com/Megahertz 3CXEM556 pcmcia card (multifunction - ethernet/modem) - please help