Can't make Slackware bootdisks

Post by Matt Kirsc » Thu, 30 Apr 1998 04:00:00

What happened to the good old Slackware that I knew and loved?

I'm trying to build a rescue boot/root set from disk images at
sunsite.unc.edu using the time-honored method of rawrite.exe. I am using
bare.i and color.gz for the disk images, and I am not uncompressing
them, per the instructions.

One one computer, the rawrite completes, but the disks are unbootable.
The floppy chews on the disk for about 3 seconds, and stops cold on any
computer I try it on. No "LI", no errors, nothing. I've tried old disks,
new disks, formatted disks, unformatted disks...

I checked dejanews.com, and I see that my problem is not unique, but
there are no answers. Everybody misinterprets the question. I do not
have an LS120, the disks are not bad, and the computer is set to boot
from the floppy. Now, who has choice D?

On another computer, the rawrite barfs "Sector not found" after writing
the first track. Again, it doesn't make any difference which disks I
use. New, old, formatted.... rawrite bombs every time.

Again, what happened to good old Slackware? I've never had any problems
with rawrite or a disk not booting, NEVER I tell you! I haven't used
Linux for about 3 months, but I haven't forgotten how to make a bootdisk
with rawrite.

Can't make Slackware bootdisks

Post by John Stran » Thu, 30 Apr 1998 04:00:00

I am using the Slackware 3.4 Distribution.

Under DOS, I would do a format with verify on the box I am going to
install on. This proves the system can read the diskette.
Then set default to the cd drive.

$ cd \rootdsks
$ rawrite color.gz A:
$ cd ..\bootdsks.144
$ rawrite bare.i A:

Now hit Control Alt delete and if you still have a problem. We are
going to have to know what hardware you are running on.

PS: reading your post tells me you know the above.  Did this for
other people.  What you might not get is do everything on the
system you are trying to install into.   Sometimes diskettes written
on one system cannot be read on another.  I beleive you cannot have
any bad blocks on the diskettes you did the rawrite on.

--
While DSC may claim ownership of all my ideas (on or off the job),
DSC does not claim any responsibility for them. Warranty expired when you

Post by Alexander Kozi » Thu, 30 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> What happened to the good old Slackware that I knew and loved?

> I'm trying to build a rescue boot/root set from disk images at
> sunsite.unc.edu using the time-honored method of rawrite.exe. I am using
> bare.i and color.gz for the disk images, and I am not uncompressing
> them, per the instructions.

> One one computer, the rawrite completes, but the disks are unbootable.
> The floppy chews on the disk for about 3 seconds, and stops cold on any
> computer I try it on. No "LI", no errors, nothing. I've tried old disks,
> new disks, formatted disks, unformatted disks...

> I checked dejanews.com, and I see that my problem is not unique, but
> there are no answers. Everybody misinterprets the question. I do not
> have an LS120, the disks are not bad, and the computer is set to boot
> from the floppy. Now, who has choice D?

> On another computer, the rawrite barfs "Sector not found" after writing
> the first track. Again, it doesn't make any difference which disks I
> use. New, old, formatted.... rawrite bombs every time.

> Again, what happened to good old Slackware? I've never had any problems
> with rawrite or a disk not booting, NEVER I tell you! I haven't used
> Linux for about 3 months, but I haven't forgotten how to make a bootdisk
> with rawrite.

It was the same problem with me.
What is about binary file format or
it does not work (at least for me)
if you use DOS prompt in Windows.
It does work in true DOS environment.
(boot your computer from DOS boot disk
and use rawrite without any problem).

Alexander Kozik

Can't make Slackware bootdisks

Post by Matt Kirsc » Thu, 30 Apr 1998 04:00:00

 > It was the same problem with me.
 > What is about binary file format or
 > it does not work (at least for me)
 > if you use DOS prompt in Windows.
 > It does work in true DOS environment.
 > (boot your computer from DOS boot disk
 > and use rawrite without any problem).

Thanks for the suggestion, but that doesn't make any difference either.

Booted "command prompt only", which is the only option I have (my DOS
6.22 boot disks aren't viable anymore). New floppy, old floppy,
formatted new floppy, formatted old floppy....Nothing. No matter which
computer I try, the floppy drive spins for about 3 seconds, then stops.

1. Slackware bootdisk boots but Linux bootdisk won't!

Please Help!  Here's my story:

I have a P-90 with a Mitsumi CD-ROM.
My hard disk has 1046 cylinders, 16 heads, and 63 sectors.

I made a boot disk from the "mitsumi.gz" file in the slackware2.0.0
"bootdsk1" directory.  I gave it the following information:

boot: ramdisk hd=1046,16,63

It boots fine.  I was able to partition and format my disk, and the
install process for each of the disk sets appeared to go smoothly.

I installed the Linux kernel 1.1.18 with SCSI+IDE+UNIFIX+MITSUMI CD.

I created a boot disk, copying vmlinuz to the boot disk.  I was not asked
to provide any "ramdisk hd..." information when I did this.

I created a Lilo (on floppy) that only boots Linux, from partition /hd3.
I indicated the "ramdisk hd=1046,16,63" command.

I tried to boot from the Lilo floppy, only to get the following output:

L04040404040404040404040404040404040
040404040404040404040404040404040404
040404040404040404040404040404040404
040404040404040404040404040404040404
040404040404040404040404040404040404
and so on forever.

When I try to boot from the Linux boot floppy that I created during
the setup process, I got a lot of errors that I could not follow
as they scrolled across my screen.  The last screenfull of errors
said the following:

MSDOS bread failed
isofs_read_super: bread failed, dev 0x303 iso_blknum 16
Weird - unlocked, clean and not uptodate buffer on list 0 303 1
Weird - unlocked, clean and not uptodate buffer on list 0 303 0
Weird - unlocked, clean and not uptodate buffer on list 0 303 32
Weird - unlocked, clean and not uptodate buffer on list 0 303 1
Weird - unlocked, clean and not uptodate buffer on list 0 303 0
Weird - unlocked, clean and not uptodate buffer on list 0 303 32
harddisk I/O error
dev 0303, sector 0
HPFS: map sector: read error
Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at kernel address 00000000

And then a bunch of eight digit variable values that appear to be debugging
information.

WHY DOES MY MITSUMI BOOT DISK WORK, BUT NOT THE INSALLED KERNEL?

Is it because the installed kernel does not know the cylinder/head/sector
information for my hard-disk?  How can I tell it this information?

Thanks for your help!
Ooooh, this is soooooo frustrating!

Dave

2. Hi Quality SoundCard with good Linux Support?

3. Making a Slackware Bootdisk

4. Mail configuration

5. Making a Bootdisk for Slackware from scratch

6. Freetype fonts

7. Making Slackware Bootdisk.

8. Accelerating Sparc2 and Sparc10

9. Trouble making LILO bootdisk, and can't find shared lib stubs.

10. Slackware 3.3, Slackware 3.4, SC875, n_53c8xx.s bootdisk

11. HELP! Can't load Slackware bootdisks

12. Can't make Slackware bootdisk with newer kernels