RedHat 7.1 + AMI MegaRAID 100 need help

Post by Glenn Gardine » Thu, 19 Jul 2001 19:13:17

Hi.  I'm an experienced DOS (old-timer) and Windows user, but I'm hoping to
escape the MS oppression.  I want to get familiar with Linux, but I can't
get past the install phase  :(
My Iwill KK266-R MB includes AMI MegaRAID 100, which I'm using with 3 20Gb
IBM 60GXP's (striped RAID-0), and 768Mb PC133 SDRAM + Athlon 1333.  I  DL'd
& burned the 2 CD images, no problem, from
ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/7.1/en/iso/i386/seawolf-i386-di...
and disc2
I also DL'd the AMI MegaRAID 100 drivers at
ftp://www.ami.com/ide-raid/IDE66-IDE100/Beta-Redhat-7.0/RH7_Install.tgz
So I created the boot and post-install floppy disks using RAWrite.exe, and
successfully partitioned the HD, and the whole installation went smoothly,
up until the post-installation disk.  After "Please insert AMI Post Install
Floppy, then press Enter," I get error messages such as
cp: cannot start  '/tmp/floppy/amipinst.tgz' :  no such file or directory
<and >
error:  cannot find file  /mnt/sysimage/tmp/amipinst.tgz :  please check the
floppy

So I did some reading (I do RTFM) and used mkdir to fill in the missing
directories, then received more error messages:
cannot create regular file  '/mnt/sysimage/tmp' :  no such file or directory
<and>
error:  cannot find file  /mnt/sysimage/tmp/amipinst.tgz :  please check the
floppy

Well of course I got fresh floppies and repeated the post-install image on
several disks, and filled in a few more mkdir's, but the final error message
just stumped me:
cannot extract file  /mnt/sysimage/tmp/amipinst.tgz

If this were Win, I would just whip out WinZip, but I can't even access my
Linux partitions from Win9x or Win2k.  Additionally, I wanted to export the
boot-loader from Linux to the Win2k boot menu as described in
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/Linux+NT-Loader-5.html , but I couldn't
get any response out of my floppy disk.  (However, the floppy disk DOES
respond to the  "runpinst"  command with the above error messages.

So I've come to the experts in hopes for some suggestions or solutions.
1)  Is there a compatibility problem between AMI beta 7.0 drivers and Red
Hat Linux 7.1 ?  I got no compatibility error messages, but still . . . .
2)  I was able to copy the Linux bootsector to another Linux directory, but
not to floppy.  How can I enable my floppy disk and copy to it?
3)  Is this a known problem with the AMI MegaRAID drivers?  Or have they
distributed a damaged image file?  Or is there a was I can manually
unarchive and install the drivers?

Well, thanks in advance.  I'm looking forward to getting into Linux if I can
just get past these installation obstacles.
Glenn Gardiner

RedHat 7.1 + AMI MegaRAID 100 need help

Post by J Haywar » Fri, 20 Jul 2001 01:34:19

<snip...>

Quote:

> So I've come to the experts in hopes for some suggestions or solutions.
> 1)  Is there a compatibility problem between AMI beta 7.0 drivers and Red
> Hat Linux 7.1 ?  I got no compatibility error messages, but still . . . .

Ami site says the driver you downloaded is for kernel version 2.2.16-22
from RH 7.0. Since RH 7.1 uses kernel 2.4.x these drivers will not work. I
would send an e-mail to Ami and ask them if and when they are going to
support RH 7.1 and the 2.4.x kernels.

Regards,
        Jim H

1. Installing an Ami MegaRaid express 500 (40LD) in a Red Hat 7.1

Installing an Ami MegaRaid express 500 (40LD) in a Red Hat 7.1

Hello,
(sorry i can't speak english well)
Is possible to install the Ami Mega Raid express 500 (40LD) in a OS linux
7.1 ?
I have try doing a disk with the drivers "Rwfloppy.exe -w dud1e08.img" and
starting in expert mode, first step ok but later after of choice a type of
instalation, it put an error "An error has ocurred - no valid devices were
found on which to create new filesystems. Please chech your hardware for the
cause of this problem."
The controlled is ok because i have tried with a WIN2000 OS.

?How can i do it?

Thank you.

2. ANNOUNCE: zsh 2.3.1

3. AMI MegaRAID 1600 + RH 7.1 not working

4. ISO 9660 questions

5. AMI Megaraid Express 200 on RH 7.1?

6. Linux and DOS/Windows (after scanning FAQs fruitlessly)

7. Help needed monitoring logical drives (AMI Megaraid)

8. floppy boots

9. need AMI MegaRAID help

10. Where can I get Intel pro/100 82557 nic driver for RedHat Linux 7.1&#65311;

11. Farallon Netline 10/100 USB Ethernet Adapter(PN796) with RedHat 7.1

12. Redhat 5.2 AMI megaraid ctrlr, Dell PowerEdge

13. AMI MegaRaid and Redhat 5.2