Changing Ethernet device driver

Post by derek.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I'm running Linux-Mandrake 6.0, kernel 2.2.9, with a 3C509-TPO NIC.

Using the following commands, utilities, and files, I've tried
unsuccessfully to get eth0 working (thankfully, ppp0 works):

1) netcfg
2) netstat -r
3) ifconfig
4) /etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart
5) /etc/sysconfig/network
6) /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
7) route
8) linuxconf

When pinging hosts on same subnet, ping just stalls. Packets actually go
out but none are received; I can tell this by the lights on my Ethernet
hub and by using the ifconfig command. On the same machine when booting
into Win98, networking using the same NIC using the same IRQ (11) and IO
(0300-030F) works just fine.

Anyway, I'd like to try changing the Ethernet driver I'm using (3C509, I
think) without having to completely reinstall Linux again. How do I do
that? How do I find out what driver I'm currently using and how can I
change some of the parameters such as IRQ (similar to Win95/98's Device
Manager)?

Thanks very much for any insight.

Kind regards,
Derek Tom
BBDO Asia Pacific, Hong Kong

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Post by William B. Arnol » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I'm running Linux-Mandrake 6.0, kernel 2.2.9, with a 3C509-TPO NIC.

> Using the following commands, utilities, and files, I've tried
> unsuccessfully to get eth0 working (thankfully, ppp0 works):

> 1) netcfg
> 2) netstat -r
> 3) ifconfig
> 4) /etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart
> 5) /etc/sysconfig/network
> 6) /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
> 7) route
> 8) linuxconf

> When pinging hosts on same subnet, ping just stalls. Packets actually go
> out but none are received; I can tell this by the lights on my Ethernet
> hub and by using the ifconfig command. On the same machine when booting
> into Win98, networking using the same NIC using the same IRQ (11) and IO
> (0300-030F) works just fine.

> Anyway, I'd like to try changing the Ethernet driver I'm using (3C509, I
> think) without having to completely reinstall Linux again. How do I do
> that? How do I find out what driver I'm currently using and how can I
> change some of the parameters such as IRQ (similar to Win95/98's Device
> Manager)?

> Thanks very much for any insight.

> Kind regards,
> Derek Tom
> BBDO Asia Pacific, Hong Kong

Greetings!,

Thinkin back aways....There the answer is ...right before your eyes,
looks like the packets are going out, but not back, if so, then the
problem is your net mask is not set correctly.  All machines on the same
subnet, must have their netmask set the same, and if there is a gateway
out of the subnet, the gateway will have to be specified too.

Now if you must change the driver, but why, L-M is running the driver
version 1.1 from Donald Becker.  That was the latest stable release.  I
HAD a 3Com EtherLink XL PCI 3c900-combo, but ditched it for favor of my
WD8013.  I was having problems with the transmission rate versus the
reception rate.  Receiving was great, transmission about half speed.
Don't have time at the moment to troubleshoot.

BTW, the WD8013 might be old, but she sure is a goodie, 988K/second!

cat /etc/conf.modules

Show see a line like

alias eth0 3c509
alias 3c509 options etc,etc  (here you would insert the correct options
to override factory default settings.

Remember, though, even if you remove the above to lines, and the card is
set at factory default settings, or at least the settings auto-pobing
will use, and the card is in the machine when booting up, it will still
define the card!

Take a look at this url:  http://www.dogpile.com   search for 3c509
and also defintely here!
http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/index.html - lot of great
stuff here!

Bill...

1. How to change a device ethernet driver on FreeBsd

How can we change a ethernet device driver on Freebsd ?
I dont want to use the lnc driver for the Amd Pcnet/PCI ethernet
card.How can i make a configurations that Freebsd loads the pcn - AMD
PCnet/PCI
fast ethernet device driver written by Bill Paul ? i have disabled the
lnc  line on Kernel and compiled it again,but it does not load any
driver for the ethernet card.

Thanks;

2. Installation Fails

3. Device driver calling another device driver.

4. HELP! Setting up a internet Provider!

5. Device driver question (generic device driver)

6. Can't compile knews

7. SBus Quad Ethernet Card -- Can I change the Device Names?

8. FAX software?

9. Ethernet device drivers

10. Alpha test -- ethernet pocket adaptor device driver

11. Device Driver for 3Com 3C507TP Ethernet Controller

12. RadioLan PCMCIA wireless ethernet card device driver

13. Ethernet device drivers