Linux CD-ROM problems.

Post by Tim Olmste » Thu, 21 Sep 1995 04:00:00

HI,

I'm sure that my biggest problem is that I don't know what I'm doing.
I have the InfoMagic 4 CD set "LINUX Developers Resource". I have the
March 1995 set, and recently got the August 1995 version (though I
haven't tried to do anything with it yet). I am having trouble getting
it it recognise my CD-ROM drive. My hardware is :

486DX/33 W/8MB ram.

Conner 850mb IDE hard drive

SONY CDU-541 CD-ROM drive attacjhed to a Future Domain TMC-1680
controller. The controler has no bot rom, and the CD-ROM drive is the
only thing attached to it.

I have tried to e-mail the guys at infomagic and they have tried to be
helpful, but at the rate of one response a week, I forget everything I
learned between sesions. Their last message said to install a "Q"
kernel. When I do that, it stops talking to the IDE hard drive.

I'm pretty frustrated right now, and would appreciate any help someone
could give me.

Tnx,

Tim Olmstead

Linux CD-ROM problems.

Post by Tim Olmste » Mon, 25 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Please disregard my previous posting. I got it fixed.

MANY MANY thanks to all who replyed!!!

>Tnx,
>Tim Olmstead

1. Weird Linux CD-ROM Problem

Ok...this is a fairly strange problem that I don't even know how to
begin fixing.  I have Linux Mandrake 8.0 installed on my Thinkpad
i1400 laptop.  I initially had problem installing off of a CD that a
friend burned for me, but I attributed this to a bad downloaded iso
image and I downloaded the install straight to my hard drive and
installed from the hard drive.  Now, I think that the cd is really not
corrupted and is related to a problem with my cd-rom operating in
Linux.

Now, after working out most of the kinks in my system, I have really
started to use it.  My first problem relating to the CD drive has to
do with a CD that I had filled with my favorite mp3 songs.  In
windows, this cd always played fine in Winamp and the songs worked
great.  However, I noticed that, in Linux, the majority of the songs
get cut off anywhere from 30% to 90% of the way through.  XMMS just
stops playing.  KDE Media player also stops in the same spot.  I
thought that the songs must have been corrupted when they were burned
onto the cd, but, like I said, they work fine in windows off of the
cd.

To try to see if it was a corruption problem, I did a diff on one of
the songs that I had on the cd with an identical song on my hard
drive.  The diff encountered an I/O error when it tried to do the
compare.  I then tried copying the song to the hard drive from the cd,
but the copy stalled at about the same % as the song would stop
playing in XMMS and I got a copy error.  If I copy the song in windows
to the hard drive, then go back into linux and do a diff, the two
songs are identical.

What could be causing this problem???  I'm absolutely clueless as to
how to proceed.  Any help is much appreciated.

2. NETMAN??

3. can not install Linux: CD-ROM-Problem with Debian 2.0r3

4. 2.5.59 : sound/oss/cs46xx.c

5. SCILAB 2.1.1

6. Anyone using a Zoom Fax Modem for linux?

7. Strange CD-ROM Issue (aka CD-ROM Problem)

8. Universal CD-ROM resells LINUX CD-ROM

9. linux, Mitsumi CD-ROM (& SB), & the TA CD-ROM - solved!

10. CD-ROM not detected by linux after CD-ROM install

11. Linux from Nascent CD-ROM won't mount my panasonic cd-rom drive