svgalib: Anyone got it working on Matrox Millenium I ?

svgalib: Anyone got it working on Matrox Millenium I ?

Post by Eric Potte » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00



I'm trying to run squake here and all I get is a blank monitor screen.
The program is running because I can here the sounds.  The video card
actually puts the monitor into stand-by when I try this.  I've tried
editing libvga.config, and read the manpage but no luck.  Distribution
is Mandrake 6.1.  Any ideas?
 
 
 

svgalib: Anyone got it working on Matrox Millenium I ?

Post by Rob Koma » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00



> I'm trying to run squake here and all I get is a blank monitor screen.
> The program is running because I can here the sounds.  The video card
> actually puts the monitor into stand-by when I try this.  I've tried
> editing libvga.config, and read the manpage but no luck.  Distribution
> is Mandrake 6.1.  Any ideas?

When I used svgalib with my old Millenium I card, I had to manually
select the standard vga driver in libvga.config (if you let it probe
the card, it wrongly thinks that it has an Oak chipset).  The newer
Gxx cards are compliant enough to use the VESA drivers, but I don't
think the Millenium is.  Also, make sure that the monitor sync ranges
in libvga.config match those in your monitor's manual.  I used to
run squake on my Millenium card, so it is possible to do.

Cheers,
Rob Komar

 
 
 

svgalib: Anyone got it working on Matrox Millenium I ?

Post by Thomas Zaj » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00




> > I'm trying to run squake here and all I get is a blank monitor screen.
> > The program is running because I can here the sounds.  The video card
> > actually puts the monitor into stand-by when I try this.  I've tried
> > editing libvga.config, and read the manpage but no luck.  Distribution
> > is Mandrake 6.1.  Any ideas?

> When I used svgalib with my old Millenium I card, I had to manually
> select the standard vga driver in libvga.config (if you let it probe
> the card, it wrongly thinks that it has an Oak chipset).  The newer
> Gxx cards are compliant enough to use the VESA drivers, but I don't
> think the Millenium is.                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^

  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

C'mon, there are even older cards than the Millennium which are already
VESA compliant. I bought one when it first came out (fastest DOS/VGA card
at that time, which was important for our DooM DM sessions :-), and it
had a VBE2.0 BIOS out of the box. Getting a BIOS upgrade from the Matrox
site couldn't hurt, though.

I'm still using it (upgraded from 2 MB to 8 MB), and I've never had any
problems with it - works great with both X and SVGALib (and DOS & Windows
for that matter, but who still cares nowadays? :-). Either use the VESA
(more working modes) or the VGA (faster) driver with SVGALib.

I'd send you my libvga.config if you like, but it sounds more like a
monitor problem (modelines) to me. Simply copying over the [HV]Sync
values and X modelines from /etc/XF86Config did the trick for me. I've
just had a look, there's actually _no_ card specific setting at all in
my file. Both the "driver VGA" and the "driver VESA" lines are commented
out, so it is autodeteced as VGA. No RAMDAC/Clockchip/whatever settings
either. All the rest is just monitor, mouse and keyboard settings, and
a lot of comments. :-)

I'm using svgalib-1.4.0 on a linux-2.0.38/libc-5.4.46 system, FWIW.

Ummm ... wait a moment, that rings a bell - Mandrake 6.1 is a glibc2
system, right? Well, I'm rather sure good ol' squake is libc5, so it
might be using an old version of svgalib from some compatibility
package that you installed, and not your "normal" glibc2 version of
svgalib. Maybe this old version of svgalib is confused by the config
file format of the newer versions? What does 'ldd squake' say? Just
a thought ...

HTH,
Thomas
--
=-------------------------------------------------------------------------=

-  "It is not easy to cut through a human head with a hacksaw."  (M. C.)  -
=-------------------------------------------------------------------------=

 
 
 

svgalib: Anyone got it working on Matrox Millenium I ?

Post by Rob Koma » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00





>> > I'm trying to run squake here and all I get is a blank monitor screen.
>> > The program is running because I can here the sounds.  The video card
>> > actually puts the monitor into stand-by when I try this.  I've tried
>> > editing libvga.config, and read the manpage but no luck.  Distribution
>> > is Mandrake 6.1.  Any ideas?

>> When I used svgalib with my old Millenium I card, I had to manually
>> select the standard vga driver in libvga.config (if you let it probe
>> the card, it wrongly thinks that it has an Oak chipset).  The newer
>> Gxx cards are compliant enough to use the VESA drivers, but I don't
>> think the Millenium is.                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^
>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> C'mon, there are even older cards than the Millennium which are already
> VESA compliant. I bought one when it first came out (fastest DOS/VGA card
> at that time, which was important for our DooM DM sessions :-), and it
> had a VBE2.0 BIOS out of the box. Getting a BIOS upgrade from the Matrox
> site couldn't hurt, though.

You're right, I should have checked before replying to the original post.
I threw in my old Millenium and it did run using the `VESA chipset' mode
defined in libvga.config.  I had retired the card before the VESA mode was
supported in svgalib, so I hadn't actually tested it before with the newer
versions of svgalib.  We did test a Millenium II with a recent svgalib
and it wouldn't work in `VESA chipset' mode, even after updating its BIOS.
I figured that if the Millenium II didn't work, then the Millenium wouldn't
either.  I also remember that the Millenium was famous among Duke3D players
for freezing the system when used in 800x600 mode.  For some people, using
SciTech's Display Doctor UniVBE fixed the problem, but not for me, which
led me to believe that the Millenium wasn't fully VESA 2.0 compliant.
However, it was wrong of me to assume that it wouldn't work in VESA mode
with new versions of svgalib based on those bits of information.

Interestingly, when I ran squake today, it wouldn't display properly in
800x600 mode, although 1024x768 worked fine (as it did in Duke3D).

Cheers,
Rob

 
 
 

svgalib: Anyone got it working on Matrox Millenium I ?

Post by Eric Potte » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00







>>> > I'm trying to run squake here and all I get is a blank monitor
>>> > screen.  The program is running because I can here the sounds.  The
>>> > video card actually puts the monitor into stand-by when I try this.
>>> > I've tried editing libvga.config, and read the manpage but no luck.
>>> > Distribution is Mandrake 6.1.  Any ideas?

>>> When I used svgalib with my old Millenium I card, I had to manually
>>> select the standard vga driver in libvga.config (if you let it probe
>>> the card, it wrongly thinks that it has an Oak chipset).  The newer
>>> Gxx cards are compliant enough to use the VESA drivers, but I don't
>>> think the Millenium is.                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^
>>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>> C'mon, there are even older cards than the Millennium which are already
>>  VESA compliant. I bought one when it first came out (fastest DOS/VGA
>> card at that time, which was important for our DooM DM sessions :-),
>> and it had a VBE2.0 BIOS out of the box. Getting a BIOS upgrade from
>> the Matrox site couldn't hurt, though.

> You're right, I should have checked before replying to the original
> post.  I threw in my old Millenium and it did run using the `VESA
> chipset' mode defined in libvga.config.  I had retired the card before
> the VESA mode was supported in svgalib, so I hadn't actually tested it
> before with the newer versions of svgalib.  We did test a Millenium II
> with a recent svgalib and it wouldn't work in `VESA chipset' mode, even
> after updating its BIOS. I figured that if the Millenium II didn't work,
> then the Millenium wouldn't either.  I also remember that the Millenium
> was famous among Duke3D players for freezing the system when used in
> 800x600 mode.  For some people, using SciTech's Display Doctor UniVBE
> fixed the problem, but not for me, which led me to believe that the
> Millenium wasn't fully VESA 2.0 compliant. However, it was wrong of me
> to assume that it wouldn't work in VESA mode with new versions of
> svgalib based on those bits of information.





> 800x600 mode, although 1024x768 worked fine (as it did in Duke3D).

> Cheers,  Rob

O.k., I got it working by using "chipset VESA" but I also had to uncomment
"VesaText" and "VesaSave 14" to get it to work.  But I have one more
question.  How can I get a list of the different vesa modes.  It seems
to be nowhere in the documentation or even on the various quake websites.
I figured out that "./squake -mode 10" will start quake in 640x480
resolution.  Note: the modes listed in the video card docs do NOT work.
 
 
 

svgalib: Anyone got it working on Matrox Millenium I ?

Post by Thomas Zaj » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00



> O.k., I got it working by using "chipset VESA" but I also had to
> uncomment "VesaText" and "VesaSave 14" to get it to work.  But I
> have one more question.  How can I get a list of the different vesa
> modes.  It seems to be nowhere in the documentation or even on the
> various quake websites. I figured out that "./squake -mode 10" will
> start quake in 640x480 resolution.  Note: the modes listed in the
> video card docs do NOT work.

Try 'vid_describemodes' in the Quake (!) console.

HTH,
Thomas
--
=-------------------------------------------------------------------------=

-  "It is not easy to cut through a human head with a hacksaw."  (M. C.)  -
=-------------------------------------------------------------------------=

 
 
 

svgalib: Anyone got it working on Matrox Millenium I ?

Post by Rob Koma » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00



> O.k., I got it working by using "chipset VESA" but I also had to uncomment
> "VesaText" and "VesaSave 14" to get it to work.  But I have one more
> question.  How can I get a list of the different vesa modes.  It seems
> to be nowhere in the documentation or even on the various quake websites.
> I figured out that "./squake -mode 10" will start quake in 640x480
> resolution.  Note: the modes listed in the video card docs do NOT work.

This is described in the readme.squake file that should have come with
your package.  Use `vid_describemodes' in the quake console to see what
modes are available, and then use `vid_mode <number>' to set the mode.

Cheers,
Rob

 
 
 

svgalib: Anyone got it working on Matrox Millenium I ?

Post by David . » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00



> Hey...I'm trying to set up a Millenium II now.  What settings did you wind up
> using to make it work?  I've been through pretty much the whole list now I
> think.  It probably means the monitor's my problem, but it can't hurt to have
> previously proven settings.

> Ernest Capraro

> >  We did test a Millenium II with a recent svgalib
> > and it wouldn't work in `VESA chipset' mode, even after updating its BIOS.
> > I figured that if the Millenium II didn't work, then the Millenium wouldn't
> > either.

I use the millennium G200 and it works great with a ViewSonic PS790
monitor. ViewSonic faxed me the proper video timings for it.

--
Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
ID # 123538

 
 
 

svgalib: Anyone got it working on Matrox Millenium I ?

Post by Ernest Caprar » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00


Hey...I'm trying to set up a Millenium II now.  What settings did you wind up
using to make it work?  I've been through pretty much the whole list now I
think.  It probably means the monitor's my problem, but it can't hurt to have
previously proven settings.

Ernest Capraro

Quote:>  We did test a Millenium II with a recent svgalib
> and it wouldn't work in `VESA chipset' mode, even after updating its BIOS.
> I figured that if the Millenium II didn't work, then the Millenium wouldn't
> either.

 
 
 

svgalib: Anyone got it working on Matrox Millenium I ?

Post by Rob Koma » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00



> Hey...I'm trying to set up a Millenium II now.  What settings did you wind up
> using to make it work?  I've been through pretty much the whole list now I
> think.  It probably means the monitor's my problem, but it can't hurt to have
> previously proven settings.
> Ernest Capraro
>>  We did test a Millenium II with a recent svgalib
>> and it wouldn't work in `VESA chipset' mode, even after updating its BIOS.
>> I figured that if the Millenium II didn't work, then the Millenium wouldn't
>> either.

We use the VGA chipset driver and modified the sync ranges as per our monitor's
manual.  There really wasn't much to change in the libvga.conf file for the
Millenium II.

Cheers,
Rob