Download rate diminishes

Post by L.M. Dizo » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Any idea why when I download a file or surf the internet, the download rate
just goes keeps on diminishing until the modem "stalls"? I use an Optiflex
Speedcom 2000 56k modem and I get the following information when I use the
command setserial:

setserial /dev/ttyS0 -a
/dev/ttyS0, Line 0, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03f8. IRQ: 4
          Baud_base: 115200, close_delay: 50, divisor: 0
          closing_wait: 3000, closing_wait2: infinte
          Flages: spd_normal skip_test

I also found from a linux newbie website that you can speed tweak a modem by
changing parameters in the options file found in /etc/options. So I set the
MTU(Maximum Transmission Unit) to 1250 and the MRU(Maximum Recieve Unit) to
1500. I still haven't noticed any change however. What do I need to setup?

Lloyd Dizon

Download rate diminishes

Post by Andrew E. Schulma » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> Any idea why when I download a file or surf the internet, the download rate
> just goes keeps on diminishing until the modem "stalls"?

This is a well-known problem with V.90.  It happened to me and I worked
with my ISP for a long time trying different modem init strings, without
success.  Finally gave up and changed ISPs, which solved the problem.  It's
probably some kind of protocol incompatibility between your modems and your
ISP's.

For lots of information about problems with 56K and troubleshooting, see
the "56K=V.unreliable" site, http://808hi.com/56k/.  I know there's a
mention of this problem (though not much in the way of a solution)
somewhere in a sample list of messages about people's V.90 problems.

Good luck,
Andrew.

Download rate diminishes

Post by Gordon Gilber » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Any idea why when I download a file or surf the internet, the download rate
> just goes keeps on diminishing until the modem "stalls"? I use an Optiflex
> Speedcom 2000 56k modem and I get the following information when I use the
> command setserial:

> setserial /dev/ttyS0 -a
> /dev/ttyS0, Line 0, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03f8. IRQ: 4
>           Baud_base: 115200, close_delay: 50, divisor: 0
>           closing_wait: 3000, closing_wait2: infinte
>           Flages: spd_normal skip_test

> I also found from a linux newbie website that you can speed tweak a modem by
> changing parameters in the options file found in /etc/options. So I set the
> MTU(Maximum Transmission Unit) to 1250 and the MRU(Maximum Recieve Unit) to
> 1500. I still haven't noticed any change however. What do I need to setup?

I had a similar problem in Linux until I changed my PPP device
setting to point to /dev/ttyS0 instead of /dev/modem.   Don't ask me
why that would matter since /dev/modem is pointing to /dev/ttyS0
unless it was just coincidence....  Something to try though if you
have it pointing to /dev/modem.

Quote:

> Lloyd Dizon

1. Is ATT@home limiting downloads(quantity NOT rate)?

I have a Slack 7 box and a W98 box behind a LRP router/firewall on

download files as long as they are not too big, but anything very
large and the connection goes down. About 40% of the time it will come
back up if I restart the dhclient daemon on the router. About 60% of
the time it requires a modem reset and dhclient restart. I saw a
thread in this group about keeping the connection up with a ping
process running on a 300 sec. interval, but that seemed more related
to connections going down due inactivity, not downloading and didn't

downloads, or, assuming because of the download that you are running a
server and "kicking" you off even though it's an inbound file? Any
thoughts greatly appreciated
Len Jenkins

2. bad patch: 103612-26 w/ AutoClient

3. Download Rate Limiting

4. SPEA P64 MirageV7 (PCI) and X does not start

5. Calculating Upload and Download Rate

6. /bin/mail won't accept stdin from file

7. Is it there a limit-rate downloading application?

8. hda detection problem solved...

9. Diminishing returns ;-)

10. TRAV: diminishing returns

11. md5 checksums for 4/2001 companion cd download [was Re: Problems downloading Companion CD]

12. More than 1.5 million Linux downloads on Download.com