Error: FIPS 2.0 and Win 98 DOS Partition

Error: FIPS 2.0 and Win 98 DOS Partition

Post by HaroldWh » Mon, 23 Jun 2003 03:38:01



I have been trying FIPS 2.0 using the '-t' switch for testing.
I have followed lots of Google posts describing the error message from
using FIPS 2.0 on a Win 98 DOS partition:

Bye!
Memory allocation error
Cannot load COMMAND, system halted.

I have not seen a definitive fix for this problem, nor any assurance
that even though FIPS has terminated "normally" (the Bye! message) it
would resize the DOS partition correctly.

Does anyone have any recent experience with FIPS 2.0?

TIA,
HW
--
Powered by SuSE Linux 7.3 -- Kernel 2.4.20
News Reader slrn 0.9.7.3

 
 
 

Error: FIPS 2.0 and Win 98 DOS Partition

Post by Michael Kell » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 05:52:47



>Does anyone have any recent experience with FIPS 2.0?

I believe I successfully defragged my Win 98 2nd ed C:
partition and then used fips.  However, if you can afford
the $50 or so I highly recommend getting like Partition
Magic for Win98.  For one thing, having one big C:
partition sucks.  A drive of any size takes forever to
defrag and also if you have multiple partitions you
can install lots of utilities and apps on D: reducing
the chance of C: getting hosed.

Another big advantage is if you install Linux
and later find you want to give it some more
partitions it's pretty easy to non-destructively
slice and dice your existing partitions and steal
some more space from Win98.

If it has to be a freeware I'd try booting a
Linux and using *parted* instead of fips as
it's more versatile.

--

"A man's only as old as the woman he feels."

    -- Groucho Marx

 
 
 

Error: FIPS 2.0 and Win 98 DOS Partition

Post by mjt » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 13:42:23


[snipped]

Quote:> I have not seen a definitive fix for this problem, nor any assurance
> that even though FIPS has terminated "normally" (the Bye! message) it
> would resize the DOS partition correctly.

> Does anyone have any recent experience with FIPS 2.0?

... fips doesnt really 'resize' per se. it actually "chops off"
a partition at some size. be careful though, winders likes to
put system files out at the end of a partition, and when you
chop it off, you might be in trouble

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Michael J. Tobler: motorcyclist, surfer,  #    Black holes result
 skydiver, and author: "Inside Linux",     #   when God divides the  
 "C++ HowTo", "C++ Unleashed"              #     universe by zero

 
 
 

Error: FIPS 2.0 and Win 98 DOS Partition

Post by HaroldWh » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 03:57:59


On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 18:38:01 -0000, HaroldWho wrote in comp.os.linux.setup:
...

Quote:> Does anyone have any recent experience with FIPS 2.0?

Thanks for the replies. AFAIK, there are no nasties lurking at the end of my
HDD. Still, why take chances.

I have a copy of 'parted' with my SuSE distro, and it seems to be just the
thing, as soon as I get comfortable with the syntax.

I'm trying to reduce my Win98 partition on C: to make room for a clean
install of a SuSE upgrade. I prefer clean installs to updates.

Thanks again,
HW
--
Powered by SuSE Linux 7.3 -- Kernel 2.4.20
News Reader slrn 0.9.7.3

 
 
 

Error: FIPS 2.0 and Win 98 DOS Partition

Post by mjt » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 05:43:24



> On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 18:38:01 -0000, HaroldWho wrote in
> comp.os.linux.setup: ...
>> Does anyone have any recent experience with FIPS 2.0?

> Thanks for the replies. AFAIK, there are no nasties lurking at the end of
> my HDD. Still, why take chances.

> I have a copy of 'parted' with my SuSE distro, and it seems to be just the
> thing, as soon as I get comfortable with the syntax.

> I'm trying to reduce my Win98 partition on C: to make room for a clean
> install of a SuSE upgrade. I prefer clean installs to updates.

... if that is the case .... it is a FATxx partition, right? well
then, get in and crank up the suse install. it will allow you to
resize the partition and create your new ones.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Michael J. Tobler: motorcyclist, surfer,  #    Black holes result
 skydiver, and author: "Inside Linux",     #   when God divides the  
 "C++ HowTo", "C++ Unleashed"              #     universe by zero

 
 
 

Error: FIPS 2.0 and Win 98 DOS Partition

Post by HaroldWh » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 02:38:09


On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 20:43:24 GMT, mjt wrote in comp.os.linux.setup:


>> On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 18:38:01 -0000, HaroldWho wrote in
>> comp.os.linux.setup: ...
>>> Does anyone have any recent experience with FIPS 2.0?
...
>> I'm trying to reduce my Win98 partition on C: to make room for a clean
>> install of a SuSE upgrade. I prefer clean installs to updates.

> ... if that is the case .... it is a FATxx partition, right? well
> then, get in and crank up the suse install. it will allow you to
> resize the partition and create your new ones.

That's what happens when you upgrade every major release number :-). Still,
from what I've seen of SuSE installs (5.2, 7.3), that kind of housekeeping
is best taken out of YaST's hands if possible.

Thanks for the tip, though.

HW
--
Powered by SuSE Linux 7.3 -- Kernel 2.4.20
News Reader slrn 0.9.7.3

 
 
 

Error: FIPS 2.0 and Win 98 DOS Partition

Post by mjt » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 14:37:03



>> ... if that is the case .... it is a FATxx partition, right? well
>> then, get in and crank up the suse install. it will allow you to
>> resize the partition and create your new ones.

> That's what happens when you upgrade every major release number :-).
> Still, from what I've seen of SuSE installs (5.2, 7.3), that kind of
> housekeeping is best taken out of YaST's hands if possible.

... we aint at 5.2/7.3 anymore :)   i do plenty of installs with
no issues concerning winxxx existance and resizing those partitions.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Michael J. Tobler: motorcyclist, surfer,  #    Black holes result
 skydiver, and author: "Inside Linux",     #   when God divides the  
 "C++ HowTo", "C++ Unleashed"              #     universe by zero

 
 
 

1. Error: FIPS 2.0 and Win 98 DOS Partition

I have been trying FIPS 2.0 using the '-t' switch for testing.
I have followed lots of Google posts describing the error message from
using FIPS 2.0 on a Win 98 DOS partition:

Bye!
Memory allocation error
Cannot load COMMAND, system halted.

I have not seen a definitive fix for this problem, nor any assurance
that even though FIPS has terminated "normally" (the Bye! message) it
would resize the DOS partition correctly.

Does anyone have any recent experience with FIPS 2.0?

HW
--
Powered by SuSE Linux 7.3 -- Kernel 2.4.20
News Reader slrn 0.9.7.3

2. Where is new ftape?

3. Win 98 vs. DOS/Linux partition info

4. TCP Wrappers (Bin) for SCO SVR3.2

5. Easiest way to connect realmode Win 95/98 (i.e. DOS) to Linux server

6. "cannot find map file" error

7. DOS / Win(95/98) shell emulators

8. help for linux process

9. Win 98 partition

10. Partitioning Win 98 drive for Linux question

11. Mounting Win 98 partition - problems

12. Win 98, Linux, NT4, NT4 Server, Win2000 - how to partition disk????

13. Win 98 new partition behaviour