Win 98 & NT password barriers

Post by Jack Nille » Tue, 20 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I have RedHat 5.1 installed all by itself on one machine. It is connected to
three others on an ethernet. Of the three, one each is running Win 95, Win
98, and NT 4.0. I have no problem accessing either of the three from the
Linux machine via smbclient. However, the reverse path is true only for the
Win95 machine. With Win98 the standard password request comes up but none of
the passwords works. Ditto for the NT machine, although the message is
different and I am requested to enter the full login (name & password) after
which I get a message to the effect that I am not authorized to log in from
this machine. All of the machines have the same lmhosts file.

What am I missing here? Clearly the hardware works, as does the software for
Win95.

Any clues?

Jack

Win 98 & NT password barriers

Post by James Youngm » Tue, 20 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> I have RedHat 5.1 installed all by itself on one machine. It is
> connected to three others on an ethernet. Of the three, one each is
> running Win 95, Win 98, and NT 4.0. I have no problem accessing
> either of the three from the Linux machine via smbclient. However,
> the reverse path is true only for the Win95 machine. With Win98 the
> standard password request comes up but none of the passwords
> works. Ditto for the NT machine

Read /usr/doc/samba*/Win*.txt

Win 98 & NT password barriers

Post by felicity+s.. » Wed, 21 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Win95 machine. With Win98 the standard password request comes up but none of
> the passwords works. Ditto for the NT machine, although the message is

Windows 98 uses encrypted passwords by default.  search the samba homepage or
dejanews ... this is really a faq question.

--
To reply via mail, please remove the obvious from the email address.

Win 98 & NT password barriers

Post by Jack Nille » Thu, 22 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I found a route to success (for the problem noted earlier) by deciphering
the ENCRYPTION.txt file in the RedHat release. Simply uncomment encrypt
passwords = yes in smb.conf (despite the dire warnings), set up the
appropriate smbpasswd file, and all is wellat least for my network. No
change was needed to the various Windows machines and, except for one case
where the Windows and Linux passwords are different, no additional password
entry is required to connect the Windows boxes with the Linux box.

Jack

Win 98 & NT password barriers

Post by Paul Bridg » Thu, 22 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Hi

We had a similar problem on out home LAN (7PC's); all was well until Win98
or NT were installed.  The problem with Win 98 (&NT) is that the passwords
are encrypted by default, so you need to tell the machine not to !

To do this on Win98 you have to edit the registry -

DWORD "EnablePlainTextPassword" at
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\VNETSUP
value 1.

This will sort the Win98 side and I assume something similar is true for NT,
though I haven't tried that yet.

Regards

Paul BRIDGE

>> I have RedHat 5.1 installed all by itself on one machine. It is
>> connected to three others on an ethernet. Of the three, one each is
>> running Win 95, Win 98, and NT 4.0. I have no problem accessing
>> either of the three from the Linux machine via smbclient. However,
>> the reverse path is true only for the Win95 machine. With Win98 the
>> standard password request comes up but none of the passwords
>> works. Ditto for the NT machine

>Read /usr/doc/samba*/Win*.txt

Win 98 & NT password barriers

Post by Matt Kresse » Fri, 23 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> I found a route to success (for the problem noted earlier) by deciphering
> the ENCRYPTION.txt file in the RedHat release. Simply uncomment encrypt
> passwords = yes in smb.conf (despite the dire warnings), set up the
> appropriate smbpasswd file, and all is wellat least for my network. No
> change was needed to the various Windows machines and, except for one case
> where the Windows and Linux passwords are different, no additional password
> entry is required to connect the Windows boxes with the Linux box.

> Jack

Wow.  Thanks.  I was having the same problem for a while now...

-Matt

--

+---------  Northrop Grumman Corporation, Bethpage, NY ---------+
+---------  TEL: (516) 346-9101 FAX: (516) 346-9740 ------------+

1. dualbooting Linux & Microsoft platforms (Win 98, NT, Win 2000)

Dear People,

My parents are in the process of buying a computer in Bombay. I told
them they should use Linux, but the chap we are getting the computer
from (built according to specifications) suggests that we should
perhaps have a Microsoft partition as well. I agreed with him, for the
reason that my parents might at some point wish to run software not
available for Linux. The question is which.

He (the chap) suggested Win 98, saying (I quote) "I still feel win98
better because the software support for Graphics and antivirus is
available latest , and more upto date. Otherwise we can go for Windows
2000 Professional for the Password Security reasons"

However, I have Win 95 on my computer, though I never use it and run
SuSE 6.2 instead. Win 95 regarded as an operating system is a joke (no
user accounts, no security, no multitasking, and those are only the
obvious deficiencies I am aware of), and I am concerned that Win 98
may not be much better (though I have never used Win 98). I have NT on
my home office, and I know that at least NT has user accounts and some
rudimentary security. And I believe that Win 2000 is an extension of
NT so hopefully will be less awful than Win 95/98.

The computer chap suggested Win 2000 as an alterative to Win 98 (see
above). This seems to make sense. However, I am also concerned about
how difficult it would be to dualboot Win 2000 and Linux. One of my
books (Kofler's Linux: Installation, Configuration, Use) goes into
some detail about setting up Linux to dualboot with NT, by getting the
Windows NT boot manager to start Lilo. Can Win 2000 be set up in
similar fashion?

So, I have two questions.

1) If you have a choice between Win 98, NT, Win 2000, which would you
   pick and why? Please don't say none. :-)

2) I assume it is possible to set up Win 2000 and Linux to
   dualboot. So, there must be info on the net for this. Could you
a) point me to it?
b) tell me how difficult you found the setting up?

much appreciated.

                      Sincerely, Faheem Mitha.

2. setup of the 'time' on a Linux Computer

3. Passwd Server for Win-NT,95,98 & Linux

4. Bourne shell references?

5. Win 98 Win NT and Linux triple boot

6. Shared text sections

7. New install of Linux, Win NT and Win 98 on same machine?

8. Anyone have a mailx that works with sendmail?

9. password NO save Win98 browse Win 98/Samba

10. Win 98 + SAMBA File Shares w/Passwords

11. Q: Need 56K modem for Win NT/98/Unix (Redhat/Solaris)

12. Win 98 / NT 4 / Linux RedHat 5 ?

13. How do i put Win'98, NT and linux on the same machine