help with dual boot, dual drive setup?

Post by Kuenley Ch » Fri, 11 May 2001 05:15:38

Hi, can anyone offer some advice about this problem:

I just installed a second hard drive, with linux on it.  My first hard drive
was windows 98, and they're both IDE.  I set the linux drive to be primary and
the windows drive to be slave.

I was hoping to set up lilo so that I could choose either one to boot from
-- but now, when I do "df" in linux, I only see the linux drive.  The windows
boot can only see its drive also (actually it sees a new hard drive, but can't
open it).

Any advice or comments on what I need to do?

Thanks!

help with dual boot, dual drive setup?

Post by Angry Bo » Fri, 11 May 2001 08:24:20

this is a Kuenley Chiu scroll!  it says:

Quote:> I was hoping to set up lilo so that I could choose either one to boot from
> -- but now, when I do "df" in linux, I only see the linux drive.  The windows
> boot can only see its drive also (actually it sees a new hard drive, but can't
> open it).

you can use 'linuxconf' or 'diskdrake' to figure out what your windows
partition is (probably /dev/hdc2 or something like that)

then you need to put an entry in your /etc/lilo.conf that points to that
partition for booting.... I dont' remember the syntax off the top of my
head, but you can do a google search for "dual boot howto" or "windows
lilo" or something like that to figure out the syntax.

after you've added the entry, run 'lilo' to read in the new lilo.conf
file.

--
AngryBob                        Systems Consultant - http://www.veryComputer.com/
  "It is ridiculous claiming that video games influence children. For

help with dual boot, dual drive setup?

Post by David Efflan » Fri, 11 May 2001 13:00:04

Quote:> Hi, can anyone offer some advice about this problem:

> I just installed a second hard drive, with linux on it.  My first hard drive
> was windows 98, and they're both IDE.  I set the linux drive to be primary and
> the windows drive to be slave.

> I was hoping to set up lilo so that I could choose either one to boot from
> -- but now, when I do "df" in linux, I only see the linux drive.  The windows
> boot can only see its drive also (actually it sees a new hard drive, but can't
> open it).

> Any advice or comments on what I need to do?

Do 'fdisk -l /dev/hda' and 'fdisk -l /dev/hdb' and see what partitions
there are.  You will not see any Windows partitions with df unless you
have them mounted.

But Windows likes to boot from the first drive, and you now have it
second.  There is supposed to be a way to get LILO to do that, but I have
not been able to.  I have booted to Win95 on /dev/hdb when I set my BIOS
(CMOS setup) to boot that drive.

On the box I am using now, I simply put LILO on the MBR of /dev/hda which
contains Win98 and bought a different /dev/hdb that I use for Linux.  But
keep a Linux boot floppy handy for if/when Windows overwrites your MBR
during any updates.

--
David Efflandt  (Reply-To is valid)  http://www.de-srv.com/

Post by Stanislaw Flatt » Fri, 11 May 2001 19:00:19

> Hi, can anyone offer some advice about this problem:

Yes.

Quote:

> I just installed a second hard drive, with linux on it.  My first hard drive
> was windows 98, and they're both IDE.  I set the linux drive to be primary and
> the windows drive to be slave.

> I was hoping to set up lilo so that I could choose either one to boot from
> -- but now, when I do "df" in linux, I only see the linux drive.  The windows
> boot can only see its drive also (actually it sees a new hard drive, but can't
> open it).

> Any advice or comments on what I need to do?

> Thanks!

Read man lilo and man lilo.conf paying attention to re-mapping of hard drives.
What it means is: the asignment of the drive is such that the OS sitting on it
thinks it is on primary master (C:\ in DOS parlance).
Usualy on modern BIOSEs you can do it from BIOS setup and boot from drives that
are not primary masters.

HTH

Stanislaw.
Slack user from Ulladulla.

help with dual boot, dual drive setup?

Post by Jerry W. Segers. Jr » Thu, 17 May 2001 14:22:59

also, if you want df to work on the windows drive, or you want to be able
to read/write it from linux, you must mount it.  to make it do this
automatically at bootup, check

$ man fstab
$ man mount

> Kuenley Chiu scroll!  it says:

>> I was hoping to set up lilo so that I could choose either one to boot
>> from -- but now, when I do "df" in linux, I only see the linux drive.
>> The windows boot can only see its drive also (actually it sees a new
>> hard drive, but can't open it).

> you can use 'linuxconf' or 'diskdrake' to figure out what your windows
> partition is (probably /dev/hdc2 or something like that)

> then you need to put an entry in your /etc/lilo.conf that points to that
> partition for booting.... I dont' remember the syntax off the top of my
> head, but you can do a google search for "dual boot howto" or "windows
> lilo" or something like that to figure out the syntax.

> after you've added the entry, run 'lilo' to read in the new lilo.conf
> file.

1. Dual-drive dual-boot RH Linux 5.1 & Win95: recommended boot manager?

Hi:

I've got a 266 PII PC with one EIDE hard-drive with Win95 installed.  I want
to add a second EIDE hard drive (probably around 4-6 Gb) and install RH
Linux 5.1 plus some other Linux s/w (like Oracle8.0.5 pre-production
release!  Yew!).  I want to be able to choose which O/S (ie. which
hard-drive) I boot from at power-on.  I'm not real good with hardware and
low-level stuff.  Do I need to purchase a good boot-loader?  Is there one
that anyone would recommend that works very well and is simple (and safe!)
to install for choosing boot between Linux and Win95?

Doubly thankful if you would respond via email as well as posting here!

Thanks and regards,
Dave

2. Adding fonts to kde just dont workie.....

3. How to install Linux to SCSI system

4. Dual boot for dual Hard drive (newbie)

5. XFree doesn't like the 3DLabs PERMEDIA 2: any alternative??

6. How to Dual Boot/Dual Drive??

7. ps/2 intellimouse spastic syndrome > Viper 770 Help!

8. Dual Boot/Dual Drive Troubles Cont.

9. Dual boot/Dual Hard Drive

10. dual-HD, dual-boot problem ... booting Win98 fails on hdb

11. Help RH7.2 dual proc, dual boot

12. Dual boot networked to dual boot