Real Player 5.0 in Debian Linux

Post by Charles Poulio » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

 Looking at the postings out there ... I can't find anyone who's gotten as
far as me with Real Player 5.0 - hope it's because those who got this far
didn't have a problem and they can help me out ;) I've successfully installed
RealPlayer 5.0 on Debian Linux 2.1 (slink), kernel 2.0.36 and get it to run,
except that I can't play the welcome.rm or similar file that comes with it.
I don't know where else I can get a RealAudio file to test which I could play
in the RealPlayer I don't get segmentation faults or error messages, just it
takes like a minute for RealPlayer to show itself starting to play the media
clip, and the video and sound don't display/get output, although using the <
Quote:> buttons I can see a few snapshots of video frames (but no sound on

soundcard) I'm not entirely sure I've got the sound card installed perfectly.
 I have ES1688 audio drive sound card - it uses the SoundBlaster driver, but
the documentation isn't too clear how I was supposed to deal with the 16-bit
questions when I compiled the kernel. I can cat the .au files which come with
tkdesk (/usr/X11R6/lib/tkdesk/sounds) to /dev/audio and they sound fine. I
did try the 'disable 16-bit' option in RealPlayer under advanced preferences.
Anybody have any ideas? Anyone think I have an idea for them?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

[...]

Charles Pouliot
B.S. in computer science, Saint Vincent College

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Real Player 5.0 in Debian Linux

Post by Hoosain Madh » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

 I am having a similar problem as you are. I get the Video but the sound
is pathetic. I get a crackling sound.

I tried Realplayer5.0 and 7.0(glibc version) with no joy. Also tried to
dislable 16-bit option with absolutely no luck.

Someone out there please help.

I have configured sound as a modules with the following entries in
/etc/rc.d/rc.modules

---------------------------------
/sbin/insmod soundcore
/sbin/insmod soundlow
/sbin/insmod sound dmabuf=1
/sbin/insmod uart401
/sbin/insmod sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=5 dma16=1 mpu_io=0x330
/sbin/insmod opl3 io=0x388
/sbin/insmod v_midi
---------------------------------

Note:
1. If I use dd to record and cat to playback I have no problems
at all.
2. I can change dma16 to anything and I get the same results.

Everything works fine in WINDOZZZZZZE

Quote:> clip, and the video and sound don't display/get output, although using the <
>> buttons I can see a few snapshots of video frames (but no sound on
> soundcard) I'm not entirely sure I've got the sound card installed perfectly.
>  I have ES1688 audio drive sound card - it uses the SoundBlaster driver, but
> the documentation isn't too clear how I was supposed to deal with the 16-bit
> questions when I compiled the kernel. I can cat the .au files which come with
> tkdesk (/usr/X11R6/lib/tkdesk/sounds) to /dev/audio and they sound fine. I
> did try the 'disable 16-bit' option in RealPlayer under advanced preferences.
> Anybody have any ideas? Anyone think I have an idea for them?
> Charles Pouliot
> B.S. in computer science, Saint Vincent College

1. RedHat 5.0 and Real Player 5.0 for Linux

I am having real trouble with Real Player! When I click on a link for a
Real Audio or Real Video file in Netscape, the player comes up and
receives data. But it only skips through it and makes an occasional
"gurgle" of audio or blip of video. I have plenty of speed and 128 megs
of RAM, plus a very good sound card. Other audio apps sound great. Any
ideas out there on the cause of this?

2. FYI : LILO and OS/2 Boot Manager

3. Problem with using the Real Video player 5.0 on Redhat Linux 5.2

4. ppp explain

5. Real Player 5.0 on RH Linux 6.0

6. pppd upgrade question ...

7. Real Player 5.0 and Linux

8. Laptop/FREEBSD/KEYBOARD detect NEWBEE

9. Real Player 5.0 on Solaris (depth problem)

10. Real Player 5.0

11. REAL PLAYER 5.0

12. Real Player 5.0

13. REAL PLAYER AND LD_LIBRARY PATH IN RHL 5.0