Kernel panic problem

Post by Ronald Daya » Wed, 21 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Hi all,

I am having a problem with booting the latest version of the kernel
(2.2.6). A brief backgrounder:

I am/was running RedHat 5.2 with the latest fixes/patches.  After
downloading and updating the system in preparation for upgrading the
kernel, I proceeded to build the kernel and install the image along with
the System.map file in the /boot directory.  I did a mkinitrd and
everything looked fine at that point.  After running lilo -v to verify
that lilo executed properly, I rebooted the machine.  During the boot up
process I got a kernel panic message.  It appears that the system could
not find the root partition.

I tried to boot off of my resucue disk but I received a 0x10 error.  I
have the following configuration:
    400 Mhz Pentium II processor (Asus P2B-F motherboard)
    512 MB RAM
    Adaptec 2940UW SCSI adapter
    3 4GB Seagate Barracuda HDs
    1 8GB Seagate Barracuda HD
    Matrox G200 Video Card (8MB RAM)
    NEC SCSI CD Rom
    Hitachi 21" Monitor
    Intel EtherExpress/Pro NIC

Disks 0 and 2 have WinNT.  Disks 1 and 3 have Linux.  I am using System
Commander to dual boot the system.

It looks like the kernel is not installing the adaptec driver at boot up
time.  If this is the case how do I fix this?  Also, I have compiled the
SCSI adapter as a loadable module.

Has anyone experienced a similar situation?  If so, how did you resolve
it?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Ron

1. intermittent kernel panic problem on boot

About 5% of the time I reboot my linux system, I get:

    kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on 8:15

I am running RH5.1 on a Pentium Pro 200 with an Adaptec AHA-294x SCSI
adaptor.

Has anyone else seen this?

Jim Yonan

2. Frozen after Setup Swap Space-/RedHat Installation

3. FlashPoint and Kernel panic -- problem

4. df reports negative availabilty

5. Kernel panic problem on Ultra1

6. Netscape plugins for RedHat 5.1

7. SCSI Disk Kernel Panic Problem

8. iomega // ZIP DRIVE driver for linux

9. kernel panic problem. help me

10. kernel panic problem

11. Kernel panic problem in 2.4.7

12. Help needed!!! Kernel panic Problem!!!

13. Kernel panic problem