Epson 400

Post by bo » Sat, 17 Oct 1998 04:00:00

        I have RedHat5.1 installed.  I've tried the Epson Stylus
driver and an Epson 800 driver but neither work.  I've searched all
over and can't find anything about the Epson Color Stylus 400 and
Linux.  Is there any hope of me printing on this printer?

Epson 400

Post by Rod Smi » Sun, 18 Oct 1998 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:>    I have RedHat5.1 installed.  I've tried the Epson Stylus
> driver and an Epson 800 driver but neither work.  I've searched all
> over and can't find anything about the Epson Color Stylus 400 and
> Linux.  Is there any hope of me printing on this printer?

It'll work.  I suggest you grab the Ghostscript RPMs from:

http://www.users.dircon.co.uk/~typhoon/

Then create a printer definition in printtool for an Epson Stylus Color
printer.  This will work, but poorly, for printing at up to 360x360 dpi.
For higher resolutions or better quality, you'll need to edit the
/var/spool/lpd/{printername}/postscript.cfg file.  Specifically, change
the resolution line as required and add the following inside the quotes of
the EXTRA_GS_OPTIONS line:

-dSoftweave stcolor.ps

It will then work at your selected resolution.  You may also want to test
different -sDithering= options (see the
/usr/doc/ghostscript-5.10/devices.txt file for details).  You can create
multiple queues for multiple resolutions or other options.

Note that the uniprint driver is useless with the ESC 400, at least as far
as I've been able to tell.  There are no .upp files for the ESC 400 the
last I checked, and the files for other printers produce no results or
endless form feeds.  Since the ESC 400 only does 720x720 dpi resolution,
you're not really missing much by using the stcolor driver, though, except
that stcolor isn't compiled into most binaries any more (it IS in the
binary on the site above, however, which is why I said to use it).

--
Rod Smith

http://www.users.fast.net/~rodsmith
NOTE: Remove the digit and following word from my address to mail me

Epson 400

Post by Frank Sogandare » Tue, 20 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>         I have RedHat5.1 installed.  I've tried the Epson Stylus
> driver and an Epson 800 driver but neither work.  I've searched all
> over and can't find anything about the Epson Color Stylus 400 and
> Linux.  Is there any hope of me printing on this printer?

I'm experiencing similiar problems with my Color Stylus 400. I refuse to
submit, and insist that it *will* work <:) Here is what I know and have
done:

When I use the printtool, and select the Epson 800 filter, a note at the
bottom of the comment area for this filter indicates that the RH5.1
version of ghostscript (gnu ghostscript 3.33) *will not* work with this
printer. RH further notes that gnu ghostscript 3.53 *will* work. So...
off I go looking for gnu ghostscript 3.53 (or better??).

I get an rpm for gnu ghostscript 4.03 (i think from the ctar archive)
and install it. Now when I run the printtool, it gives me a bunch of TCL
errors when I try to "Select" a new filter. In other words.... the
printtool no longer can select a print filter.... Go figure. OK.... try
again...

I get an rpm for Aladdin ghostscript 5.50 (from uwisc i think). I
install it. Run printtool. No TCL errors when selecting a new print
filter, but *far fewer printer options*. Hmm.... (Aladdin 5.50 i think
is equivalent to gnu 4.03).... doi... should work....

Reinstall original gnu ghostscript 3.33. Printool returns to normal, but
useless for my printer... back to square one.... Hmmmm...

Next question.... Do the RPMS replace any of the printer drivers
themselves?? By querying the rpms for each version, I can see what will
be written to where. The list of printer drivers used by the printtool
is in the ??/rhs/rhs-printfilters/printerdb file. This file is not
changed by *any* of the RPMS, and so it makes no sense that the
printtool would work, not work, or show different options (but still
grudgingly work) for three different versions of ghostscript.

I've even tried writing my own printfilter. Want to guess how that
worked out?? :)

I'm baffled and pretty annoyed. Any suggestions??

  vcard.vcf
< 1K Download

Epson 400

Post by Iai » Thu, 22 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>    I have RedHat5.1 installed.  I've tried the Epson Stylus
>driver and an Epson 800 driver but neither work.  I've searched all
>over and can't find anything about the Epson Color Stylus 400 and
>Linux.  Is there any hope of me printing on this printer?

Is there a stcolour driver? I have suse 5.2 with apsfilter and this
driver works with my ECS 400.

iain

Epson 400

Post by Michael D. Lync » Tue, 17 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> [Posted and mailed]

> >       I have RedHat5.1 installed.  I've tried the Epson Stylus
> > driver and an Epson 800 driver but neither work.  I've searched all
> > over and can't find anything about the Epson Color Stylus 400 and
> > Linux.  Is there any hope of me printing on this printer?

> It'll work.  I suggest you grab the Ghostscript RPMs from:

> http://www.users.dircon.co.uk/~typhoon/

> Then create a printer definition in printtool for an Epson Stylus Color
> printer.  This will work, but poorly, for printing at up to 360x360 dpi.
> For higher resolutions or better quality, you'll need to edit the
> /var/spool/lpd/{printername}/postscript.cfg file.  Specifically, change
> the resolution line as required and add the following inside the quotes of
> the EXTRA_GS_OPTIONS line:

> -dSoftweave stcolor.ps

> It will then work at your selected resolution.  You may also want to test
> different -sDithering= options (see the
> /usr/doc/ghostscript-5.10/devices.txt file for details).  You can create
> multiple queues for multiple resolutions or other options.

> Note that the uniprint driver is useless with the ESC 400, at least as far
> as I've been able to tell.  There are no .upp files for the ESC 400 the
> last I checked, and the files for other printers produce no results or
> endless form feeds.  Since the ESC 400 only does 720x720 dpi resolution,
> you're not really missing much by using the stcolor driver, though, except
> that stcolor isn't compiled into most binaries any more (it IS in the
> binary on the site above, however, which is why I said to use it).

> --
> Rod Smith

> http://www.users.fast.net/~rodsmith
> NOTE: Remove the digit and following word from my address to mail me

  hi Rod,
        My printtool doen't create a .../postscript.cfg  file.   Maybe i'm
running an old version.  How do I
get a new version of printtool or better yet would you post  this file and
your printcap & filter?
    Thanks
            Mike

1. Problems printing to Epson 400 from KDE

I am running RedHat 5.0 with KDE 1.0 and used printtool to configure my
Epson 400 inkjet after installing ghostscript 5.10-6.  The "print ascii
test page" and "print postscript test page" tests in printtool print
beautifully.  However, I am having problems in trying to print from
applications in KDE.

If I open KDE Help and choose File--Print..., I get a window that lists
my printer with a number of paper options, etc.  When I print a help
file page, the graphics print correctly (including color), but the text
has missing spaces and overtyped letters.

If I try and print from the text editor, I just get a simple Print
Dialog with 4 radio buttons.  If I choose "Print directly using lpr"
nothing happens.  Similarly, if I choose "Print using command enscript
-2rG", nothing happens.

If I try and print from Netscape using the command "lpr", nothing
happens and I get an error message: lpr: lp: unknown printer.

What am I doing wrong?

-Steve

2. File Allocation Tables

3. Epson Stylus Color 400 Problems

4. Wavy Line Prob with Mach 64 - What is it?

5. Epson Stylus 400/ WP8

6. Passwd replacements and cracklib

7. Printing with an Epson Stylus Color 400

8. TT_ERR_PTYPE_START Error

9. EPSON Stylus Color 400 Drivers

10. Epson Stylus 400 and gs5.10 stc.upp driver

11. Epson Stylus 400 question

12. Printer Problem: Epson Colour Stylus 400

13. Epson Styulus Color 400 and WordPerfect 8 for Linux