Installing PCTel Modem on RH7.1

Post by Ian G. Lisl » Thu, 10 May 2001 06:19:44

Hi all,

I recently upgraded to RH 7.1 (kernel 2.4.2-2) in the hope that my modem
would be better supported (in 7.0 it would say it was dialling but just sit
there and hold the phone line up until I rebooted the machine).

The PCTel chipset is on an internal "PCI" modem within my laptop, I have
downloaded pctel-2.4.tar.gz from Thomas Wright's site at
http://www.geocities.com/tom_in_rc/
This archive contains the following files:
/pctel-2.4/readme.txt

/pctel-2.4/lib/control.a
/pctel-2.4/lib/dsp.a
/pctel-2.4/lib/hal.a
/pctel-2.4/lib/pctel.o

/pctel-2.4/src/module/halwraps.h
/pctel-2.4/src/module/Makefile
/pctel-2.4/src/module/pctel.diff
/pctel-2.4/src/module/pctel.h
/pctel-2.4/src/module/ptserial.c
/pctel-2.4/src/module/ptserial.o

I have recompiled the module pctel.o with make clean; make and then inserted
it using insmod but this causes my serial ports to stop responding to
statserial.  I have tried various methods used to install older versions on
my 2.2.16-22 kernel but I cannot get it to work at all - does anyone have
any ideas?

TIA

Ian G. Lisle

Installing PCTel Modem on RH7.1

Post by Felipe Machado Cardo » Thu, 10 May 2001 12:25:07

Hi Ian,

I'm using a PCTel modem on Linux and have recently
upgraded to Mandrake 7.1 that uses a 2.2.17 kernel. To
use my pctel modem, I has to dwongrade to a 2.2.14
kernel AND a older version of the pctel driver that
have downloaded from (theorically)
http://www.pcchips.com.tw/driver/Linux/MODEM/PCTEL.ZIP.
If you can donwload that file, you still need to edit
the file /src/module/ptmodule.c and include th
following lines:

    void IntrOpen (void) { }
    void IntrClose (void) { }
    void IntrWrite (void) { }

so type 'make' to recompile, and 'cp ../../lib/pctel.o
/lib/module/your_kernel/net/'

include the folowing line to /etc/conf.modules:

     alias char-major-62 pctel

Create the device com /dev:

     mknod /dev/ttyS15 c  62  79

and the link:

      ln -s /dev/ttyS15 /dev/modem

[]'s Felipe

Yahoo! GeoCities
Tenha seu lugar na Web. Construa hoje mesmo sua home page no Yahoo! GeoCites. fcil e grtis!
http://br.geocities.yahoo.com/

--
Posted from web9606.mail.yahoo.com [216.136.129.185]