need to change .bashrc

Post by Veronica Morale » Mon, 11 Dec 2000 10:21:25

I ran into a Linux problem and was hoping someone could help.  Im sure its
something simple, but Linux tends to not be very intuitive.

I had a bit of a problem with PVM and in the middle of trying various
things, I added a path to my .bashrc file.  Well, that was a big mistake.
The .bashrc file belongs to the /root directory, hence when I log in as
'root', nothing works.  I mean nothing, like "ls", "emacs", "vi", "cp".  How
can I get to that file and edit it again to remove the problem causing line?
I can log on as a user but user dont have permission to alter any files in
"root".

I tried booting to a Linux "boot disk" and after several minutes of loading,
I got several error messages, one of which said "Kernel panic".

Any help, again, would be appreciated.

Thanks

Veronica Morales
Smith College
--

need to change .bashrc

Post by Bit Twist » Mon, 11 Dec 2000 10:55:02

Log in again as a regular user then do a
su root          then

/bin/mv /root/.bashrc /root/.bashrc_bad

Else get to the   lilo prompt   and enter
linux 1   or
linux single
and try the /bin/mv  again.

On Sat, 9 Dec 2000 20:21:25 -0500, Veronica Morales

--
The warranty and liability expired as you read this message.
Practice safe computing. Backup the file before you change it.

need to change .bashrc

Post by Moonshine » Mon, 11 Dec 2000 11:45:23

Veronica,

Remember when you lose your path you can still get to the commands by
putting in the complete path.  That is part of what the previous post
was showing.

--
Moonshiner
NASCAR Fan Go MW #15 TB #66

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

need to change .bashrc

Post by Michael V. Ferrant » Mon, 11 Dec 2000 12:37:49

Quote:>I added a path to my .bashrc file.  Well, that was a big mistake.

        Can you login under your normal-use account and 'su' to root?  Also,
other shells will often create a .profile on first use, allowing you to
access/edit .bashrc  From root, you can try:

        /bin/sh
        /bin/ksh
        /bin/zsh

        Without a path, you'll just have to re-enter it right there at the
prompt, or supply the full pathname of the programs you normally run:

        PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin
                -or-
        /bin/cp <file1> <file2>
        /usr/bin/cal

--               Michael V. Ferranti [blades&inreach*com]
Linux Counter Reg.ID# 177869    http://counter.li.org    GNUke The Planet!
Sign The Linux Driver Petition:   www.libralinux.com/petition.english.html

need to change .bashrc

Post by Veronica Morale » Mon, 11 Dec 2000 14:16:07

You guys have been WAY helpful.  I'll try these out tomorrow in the lab.

Thanks!

--

Veronica Morales
Smith College

Quote:

> I ran into a Linux problem and was hoping someone could help.  Im sure its
> something simple, but Linux tends to not be very intuitive.

> I had a bit of a problem with PVM and in the middle of trying various
> things, I added a path to my .bashrc file.  Well, that was a big mistake.
> The .bashrc file belongs to the /root directory, hence when I log in as
> 'root', nothing works.  I mean nothing, like "ls", "emacs", "vi", "cp".
How
> can I get to that file and edit it again to remove the problem causing
line?
> I can log on as a user but user dont have permission to alter any files in
> "root".

> I tried booting to a Linux "boot disk" and after several minutes of
> I got several error messages, one of which said "Kernel panic".

> Any help, again, would be appreciated.

> Thanks

> Veronica Morales
> Smith College
> --

need to change .bashrc

Post by Michael V. Ferrant » Wed, 13 Dec 2000 14:40:03

Quote:>You guys have been WAY helpful.  I'll try these out tomorrow in the lab.

        <smiles> You might want to buy/borrow a Unix User's Guide somewhere and
brush up on the basics.  Most of them are very good at familiarizing you
with the tricks of the trade like piping and redirection, variables like
the $PATH and $HOME, and details on the most commonly used commands and
utilities.  A very good book/tutorial is "Exploring the UNIX System" by
Kochan & Wood.  It sure makes using Linux a heck of a lot less confusing.

--               Michael V. Ferranti [blades&inreach*com]
Linux Counter Reg.ID# 177869    http://counter.li.org    GNUke The Planet!
Sign The Linux Driver Petition:   www.libralinux.com/petition.english.html

1. Login via NIS clients does not inititialize .bashrc or /etc/bashrc

Hello Folks,

we set up a NIS server with RedHat-5.2 on an Alpha.

The PC Linux clients connect properly but arther .bashrc nor /etc/bashrc

is called when we login although the passwd lines on the server seem to
be
correct.

Any hints ????

Thanx in advance
Christian
- University | Chair of Energy     | Dipl.-Ing. Christian Folke     -

- Essen      | and Energy Economy  | http://www.tee.uni-essen.de/   -

  folke.vcf
< 1K Download

2. Problems with LPRing and Bitchx

3. need help with .bashrc file

4. FreeBSD & threading.

5. Need to edit .bashrc

6. HELP ME

7. Need good .bashrc and .bash_profile

8. Buffers grow until crash

9. Need Help With /etc/bashrc

10. Korn shell help needed (keeping a changed file changed)

11. I need to change the FQDN, in which I have changed entry ..

12. HELP: .bashrc & .xinitrc

13. Aliases in .bashrc and .tcshrc