Reformatting/repartitioning DOS w/o affecting Linux-partition: Tips?

Reformatting/repartitioning DOS w/o affecting Linux-partition: Tips?

Post by bjdo.. » Fri, 14 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

My IDE harddisk /dev/hda is divided up into a DOS partition
(DOS v5 on there) and a Linux partition, both bootable.

I need to reformat the DOS partition because of FAT problems
(and prob. take off another chunk for another second Linux
partition while doing so).

What's the best (read: SAFEST) way of going about this, without
affecting the existing Linux partition?  Either from DOS or from
Linux -- though I doubt the latter is an option.

Thanks in advance.

BJ

Reformatting/repartitioning DOS w/o affecting Linux-partition: Tips?

Post by Jurgen Exne » Sat, 15 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Just do it.
As long as you don't fdisk/format the linux partition, nothing will happen
to it.
Even DOS won't format a partition, it doesn't know of.

jue
--
The opinions expressed in this message are my own personal views
and do not reflect the official views of Microsoft Corporation

Quote:

Post by Keith Schinc » Sat, 22 Feb 1997 04:00:00

: I need to reformat the DOS partition because of FAT problems
: (and prob. take off another chunk for another second Linux
: partition while doing so).

: What's the best (read: SAFEST) way of going about this, without
: affecting the existing Linux partition?  Either from DOS or from
: Linux -- though I doubt the latter is an option.

If there is no data on the DOS drive that you want to keep then use your
DOS system diskette with fdisk and format on it. Boot of the floppie, use
fdisk to delete the DOS partion and the create two new partitions(one for
DOS and the other for Linux). Reboot on to the floppie again and use
format to make a FAT FS on the new DOS partition. You then in install
your DOS onto the drive again and Linux onto you second partion.

You could use fips or Partion Magic to resize you DOS partion without
loosing you current DOS files.

--
Keith Schincke    *** When the idealisms of life are stripped away, all ***
Jacksonville, Fl  *** that is left is the cold fact that life sucks.    ***

I believe that Ronald Reagan will someday make this country
 what it once was...an arctic wilderness.
                 -- Steve Martin

---
The previous signature was generated using a shell script and fortune.

1. repartitioning Linux --- will it affect DOS?

Joseph,

After backing up your Linux partition, use the Linux ver of fdisk
to delete your swap and native Linux partitions (you should boot
up on the setup disks first). Then reboot and use the dos fdisk
command to make a new DOS partition where the Linux partitions were.
The you can format this as a standard DOS drive D:

If you need the entire drive as a single partition, then yes,
you'll need to have to pull of the contents of your C: drive
and reinstall them after repartitioning the whole thing as a
bootable DOS partition.

Mak.

2. Linux / Windows Networking

3. Reformatting Linux Hard Drive Partition to DOS format again

4. Fatal FreeBSD 4.0 Crashes

5. Please help! Linux partition reformat for DOS!

6. how 2 move back ext partition

7. Repartition an already existing DOS partition?

8. Arc-Info/Arc-View Inquiry

9. Reformat after Repartition?

10. How do i reformat my Linux partition back to Fat32

11. for 2.2.x i386 Linux kernel DoS - Affects 2.2.x and probably 2.0.x

12. Any tips which would affect network performance?

13. how do i mount an extended dos partition or a dos logical partition ?