CD-ROM problem

Post by Satish Kuma » Mon, 17 Feb 1997 04:00:00

For a few days now, I get the following error in boot procedure and then
I'm not able to do anything with the /dev/hdc. Here are the error
messages:

Feb 16 02:50:19 archie kernel: hdc: command error: status=0x51
Feb 16 02:50:19 archie kernel: hdc: command error: error=0x54
Feb 16 02:50:19 archie kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 16:00, sector 65
Feb 16 02:50:19 archie kernel: isofs_read_super: bread failed, dev 16:00
iso_blknum 16 block 32
Feb 16 02:50:19 archie kernel: hdc: code: 0x70  key: 0x05  asc: 0x64
ascq: 0x00

It does recognize the CDROM drive before it gives this error. Also if I
do ls -l for /dev/hdc, I get this:

brw-rw-rw-   1 root     disk      22,   0 Feb  4  1995 /dev/hdc

when I try to mount, I get the following error:

# mount -t iso9660  /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom
mount: block device /dev/hdc is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdc,
       or too many mounted file systems

Needless to say that xcdplay doesn't work. My /dev/hdc file is rw mode
as you'll notice above. Please email me if you have any suggestions.

Satish

1. Strange CD-ROM Issue (aka CD-ROM Problem)

Ok...this is a fairly strange problem that I don't even know how to
begin fixing.  I have Linux Mandrake 8.0 installed on my Thinkpad
i1400 laptop.  I initially had problem installing off of a CD that a
friend burned for me, but I attributed this to a bad downloaded iso
image and I downloaded the install straight to my hard drive and
installed from the hard drive.  Now, I think that the cd is really not
corrupted and is related to a problem with my cd-rom operating in
Linux.
Now, after working out most of the kinks in my system, I have really
started to use it.  My first problem relating to the CD drive has to
do with a CD that I had filled with my favorite mp3 songs.  In
windows, this cd always played fine in Winamp and the songs worked
great.  However, I noticed that, in Linux, the majority of the songs
get cut off anywhere from 30% to 90% of the way through.  XMMS just
stops playing.  KDE Media player also stops in the same spot.  I
thought that the songs must have been corrupted when they were burned
onto the cd, but, like I said, they work fine in windows off of the
cd. To try to see if it was a corruption problem, I did a diff on one
of the songs that I had on the cd with an identical song on my hard
drive.  The diff encountered an I/O error when it tried to do the
compare.  I then tried copying the song to the hard drive from the cd,
but the copy stalled at about the same % as the song would stop
playing in XMMS and I got a copy error.  If I copy the song in windows
to the hard drive, then go back into linux and do a diff, the two
songs are identical. What could be causing this problem???  I'm
absolutely clueless as to how to proceed.  Any help is much
appreciated.

Note: I have heard that this may be related to supermount.  I have
heard a lot of people complain about it.  The only thing that makes me
believe it's not supermount related is that most people who say
supermount sucks also can't get their cd-rom drives to work.  However,
mine is detected and works.  The songs and some files just get cut off
or encounter read errors.  Could this be a supermount problem or is it
something else?

2. Advantages of Metro-X?

3. Panasonic CD-532 CD-ROM: Problem Child?

4. Is it possible to record a DHCP handshake?

5. Setup with TEAC CD-40E CD-ROM problem

6. "The LinuxStore" - are they good ??

7. CD-ROM problem with Linux CD

8. gdbtk

9. CD-A24X Pioneer CD-ROM Problem

10. Compaq 580 CDS Matsushita CD-ROM Problem?

11. HELP: XFree86 Problems and CD-ROM Problems!

12. CD-ROM problems with Solaris 2.6

13. CD-ROM Problem...