How to disable xdm in Linux-FT?

Post by Paul Sham » Sat, 15 Jun 1996 04:00:00

When I start Linux-FT I go directly to a XWindows environment for my login. I
assume that 'xdm' is being called during the login process (this is because I
want to go into XWindows all the time (for a variety of reasons). How do I
disable or discontinue 'xdm' (or whatever else may be causing this)?

Thanks,
Paul

Post by Tony J. Podras » Sat, 15 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>When I start Linux-FT I go directly to a XWindows environment for my login. I
>assume that 'xdm' is being called during the login process (this is because I
>want to go into XWindows all the time (for a variety of reasons). How do I
>disable or discontinue 'xdm' (or whatever else may be causing this)?

There are a few things you can do:

  o One-shot way:
        When you power-up your system, and you get the "BOOT:" prompt, you can
        tell it to go into single-user mode:

              boot:   [whatever your bootimage is]    single  <carriage return>

  o Always way:
        set LILO to use the "append single" during boot.
        The entry in /etc/lilo.conf will be like this:
              [...]
              ramdisk = 0     # paranoia setting
              append = single # come up in single user
              # End LILO global section
              [...]
        You'll have to do a bootstart install (LILO) to make it take effect.

  o Normal/Easy way:
        Change <inittab> to start up in single user mode.
             CURRENT ENTRY:     id:6:initdefault:
             NEW     ENTRY:     id:S:initdefault:
        You may also delete the entry, which will force the system to ask you
        what level to go to. See man pages for <init> and <inittab>.

--
    Tony J. Podrasky       GREAT MOMENTS IN UNIX SYSTEM ADMINISTRATION:
     San Diego , Ca        17 July 1995 - <fsck> actually accepts the

QSL? QRU? QRZ? QLZ? QFA?   and it works - saving the disk (and the day).

How to disable xdm in Linux-FT?

Post by David Vitit » Sat, 15 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Take a look in the directory /etc/rc.d.  This directory contains the scripts
that are run whenever your system boots up. Off the top of my head, I can't remember the name of the specific script that you'll have to change, but if you do a
                grep xdm /etc/rc.d/*

you should find it.  Just comment out the lines that startup XDM.

Also, if xdm is running, you can kill it by hitting <ctrl><alt><F1>.

                                - Dave (Da Slug)

Post by Metod Kozel » Sun, 16 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> When I start Linux-FT I go directly to a XWindows environment for my login. I
> assume that 'xdm' is being called during the login process (this is because I
> want to go into XWindows all the time (for a variety of reasons). How do I
> disable or discontinue 'xdm' (or whatever else may be causing this)?

If you're running Slackware distribution, then near the top of the file
/etc/inittab there are two lines looking like this:

# Default runlevel.
id:4:initdefault:

Runlevel 5 is for multiuser operation WITHOUT running X windows.
Runlevel 4 is for multiuser operation WITH X windows

For Slackware version < 3.0 the Runlevel id for multiuser operation with
X windows is 6.

--
Metod Kozelj

WWW:    http://www.rzs-hm.si/people/Metod.Kozelj/

Post by Neil McBenne » Sat, 22 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>When I start Linux-FT I go directly to a XWindows environment for my login. I
>assume that 'xdm' is being called during the login process (this is because I
>want to go into XWindows all the time (for a variety of reasons). How do I
>disable or discontinue 'xdm' (or whatever else may be causing this)?

If I remember correctly, xdm is started from the /etc/inittab file.
Just find the relevant line and comment it out.
cheers
Neil McBennett

How to disable xdm in Linux-FT?

Post by Natali Giulia » Sat, 22 Jun 1996 04:00:00

You can set your inittab to initlevel 3.
By
 Natali Giuliano  (Diaolin)        |       Linux 2.0.0  & Caldera User

 FAX: (0039) 461 594731            |                     via Baili, 11
 Telefono casa:(0039) 461 594731   |             38053 CASTELLO TESINO
 http://www.tqs.it/users/natali    |               TRENTO   -   Italia

1. How to disable xdm in Linux-FT

Paul,
I am not that familiar with Linux-FT, but this might help.  When you
boot, there are a series of config files that Linux uses to set up the
system and run certain programs and set the run mode.  You are
currently in run mode (I believe) 6, using xdm in a multi user mode.
Edit your rc.d file in /etc/rc (follow instructions from your docs on
how to do this) and change from xdm to a shell (such as bash).  Then
you will have the choice of running x from the command line or staying
in bash at the command line.  If you want to run X, you might have to
edit your xinitrc file not to call xdm.

                                Robert Escue

2. Help with mail......mailrc

3. install Linux before linux-Ft?

4. Welcome to comp.unix.programmer (v1.18)

5. Are LINUX-FT fixes folded into Linux/GNU to gcc ?

6. NAT Problem: MASQ'd PC's can't see 'Net IP of Firewall as a WWW page.

7. Linux-FT versus Linux-LDR

8. SCO Unix System V/386 Release 3.2 wanted

9. Sherlock linux plug-ins / sherlock for linux?

10. Linux-FT + Bundle Distribution Needed

11. Disabling GrabDisplay on xdm/kdm

12. Linux-FT?

13. Motif on Linux & slackware vs Linux FT