rlogin problem : connection reset by peers

rlogin problem : connection reset by peers

Post by Alain Houell » Thu, 12 Dec 2002 02:00:22

Hi,

I've installed SUSE8.0 on a DELL 4550 and it works fine.......except I can't
use RLOGIN to log on it! I've always the same message : "rcmd : 'hostname' :
connection reset by peer". What does it mean?

-telnet doesn't seem to work too.
-ping works fine.

inetd is working with rlogin services enabled.
Firewall is disabled.

Is there another service to enable? (or to disable (conflict case)).

Thank you,

Alain Houelle

Post by stephan bea » Thu, 12 Dec 2002 02:38:27

> I've installed SUSE8.0 on a DELL 4550 and it works fine.......except I
> can't use RLOGIN to log on it! I've always the same message : "rcmd :
> 'hostname' : connection reset by peer". What does it mean?

> -telnet doesn't seem to work too.
> -ping works fine.

i've also had this same problem on several suse 8.0 machines, and never
found a fix for it. As a workaround simply use ssh instead of rsh. Then
again, the ssh which ships with Suse 8.0 is not 100% compatible with that
of Suse 8.1 and can take up to 2 minutes to connect unless you use the "-1"
option to force protocol level 1. Note that scp does not have this option,
making it tricky to copy files between a Suse 8.0 and 8.1 machine using
ssh, but you can get around this:

--
----- stephan beal

rlogin problem : connection reset by peers

Post by Lew Pitch » Thu, 12 Dec 2002 02:50:27

On Tue, 10 Dec 2002 18:00:22 +0100, in comp.os.linux.setup, "Alain Houelle"

>Hi,

>I've installed SUSE8.0 on a DELL 4550 and it works fine.......except I can't
>use RLOGIN to log on it! I've always the same message : "rcmd : 'hostname' :
>connection reset by peer". What does it mean?

It means that the other end "hung up" on you without talking to you.

Lew Pitcher, Information Technology Consultant, Toronto Dominion Bank Financial Group

Post by altervis » Wed, 25 Dec 2002 03:41:48

> On Tue, 10 Dec 2002 18:00:22 +0100, in comp.os.linux.setup, "Alain Houelle"

> >Hi,

> >I've installed SUSE8.0 on a DELL 4550 and it works fine.......except I can't
> >use RLOGIN to log on it! I've always the same message : "rcmd : 'hostname' :
> >connection reset by peer". What does it mean?

> It means that the other end "hung up" on you without talking to you.

Hi Alain,

I had the same problem and just fixed ist with installing the paket
'rsh-server' on the machine you want to connect to.
On the same way you can solve the missing telnet function with
installing the 'telnet-server' paket.

The necessary configuration in '/etc/inetd.conf' is already done?

Bye
Chris

1. HELP:rlogin: reader: recv: Connection reset by peer

I leave an rlogin overnight to my Linux machine from another machine
on the net.
In the morning I find myself disconnected with:

                                                            Connection closed.

It doesn't happen when I rlogin to non-Linux machines (HP_UX, AIX, etc).

Any idea what may cause this?

Thanks a lot.

Linux ibex 1.2.13 #1 Wed Mar 20 00:02:24 EST 1996 i586

Marcel Katz

2. Configuring kernel 2.2.1 doesn't ask MIDI questions

3. HELP: rlogin, Connection reset by peer

4. GPL and commercial use of Linux

5. Connection reset by peer - rlogin error

6. Backup Server chewing memory

7. ppp + masq problem (connection reset by peer)

8. Apache with glibc2.06 Connection reset by peer problem

9. wwwoffle / netscape problem: Connection reset by peer

10. Problem with apache: [error] (54)Connection reset by peer: getsockname

11. ftp problem: connection reset by peer

12. Apache Problem "Connection reset by peer" "Broken pipe" etc