HELP! -- Grub tutorial?

Post by Edward A. Fa » Thu, 07 Sep 2000 09:09:05

Hi all; yesterday I tried to remove Caldera technology preview from
my system and install redhat.  The redhat install aborted (my
mistake) and now when I reboot I get this "grub" prompt and can't
get any further.

Can anybody point me to a * tutorial on Grub?

Quick overview of my situation:  I may no longer have a bootable
linux partition.  I should have a bootable windoze partition.  My
computer won't boot from CD and I lost the floppy drive, so if
I can't make the computer boot from hard disk again, I'm going to
have some real contortions ahead of me.

Fooey, I say.  LILO may have been ugly, and a bastard to configure
for newbies, but at least it *worked*.

--

http://www.veryComputer.com/;  #**************F******!******!*!!****
and read 12 Simple Things You Can Do       ******!***************************#**

HELP! -- Grub tutorial?

Post by Black Eagl » Thu, 07 Sep 2000 11:02:24

Download Tom's Root Boot and get yourself a bootable single floppy version of
linux and see if you cannot get something salvagable that way.

Black Eagle

>Hi all; yesterday I tried to remove Caldera technology preview from
>my system and install redhat.  The redhat install aborted (my
>mistake) and now when I reboot I get this "grub" prompt and can't
>get any further.

>Can anybody point me to a * tutorial on Grub?

>Quick overview of my situation:  I may no longer have a bootable
>linux partition.  I should have a bootable windoze partition.  My
>computer won't boot from CD and I lost the floppy drive, so if
>I can't make the computer boot from hard disk again, I'm going to
>have some real contortions ahead of me.

>Fooey, I say.  LILO may have been ugly, and a bastard to configure
>for newbies, but at least it *worked*.

>--

>http://www.veryComputer.com/;  #**************F******!******!*!!****
>and read 12 Simple Things You Can Do           ******!***************************#**
>to Save the Internet                           **#******#*********!**WW*W**WW****

HELP! -- Grub tutorial?

Post by Colin Wats » Thu, 07 Sep 2000 16:04:32

>>My computer won't boot from CD and I lost the floppy drive [...]

>Download Tom's Root Boot and get yourself a bootable single floppy
>version of linux and see if you cannot get something salvagable that
>way.

*sigh*

--

"When Irish eyes are smiling, watch your step."

HELP! -- Grub tutorial?

Post by Colin Wats » Thu, 07 Sep 2000 16:03:26

Quote:>Hi all; yesterday I tried to remove Caldera technology preview from
>my system and install redhat.  The redhat install aborted (my
>mistake) and now when I reboot I get this "grub" prompt and can't
>get any further.

>Can anybody point me to a * tutorial on Grub?

Try:

  http://www.veryComputer.com/
  http://www.veryComputer.com/

--

If I had mayonnaise I'd be dangerous.

HELP! -- Grub tutorial?

Post by Michael Per » Thu, 07 Sep 2000 16:37:59

>Hi all; yesterday I tried to remove Caldera technology preview from
>my system and install redhat.  The redhat install aborted (my
>mistake) and now when I reboot I get this "grub" prompt and can't
>get any further.

>Can anybody point me to a * tutorial on Grub?

>Quick overview of my situation:  I may no longer have a bootable
>linux partition.  I should have a bootable windoze partition.  My
>computer won't boot from CD and I lost the floppy drive, so if
>I can't make the computer boot from hard disk again, I'm going to
>have some real contortions ahead of me.

>Fooey, I say.  LILO may have been ugly, and a bastard to configure
>for newbies, but at least it *worked*.

>--

>http://www.veryComputer.com/;  #**************F******!******!*!!****
>and read 12 Simple Things You Can Do           ******!***************************#**
>to Save the Internet                           **#******#*********!**WW*W**WW****

The issue with grub I believe is that lilo sees this as an mbr it cannot
write to.  I have seen running lilo fail repeatedly on a drive with grub
installed in the mbr.  Grub can boot a system without being installed in the
mbr; but thats another question.

Try getting a bootable dos floppy, put on it fdisk and format.com.  Now boot
the dos floppy and try to fdisk /mbr the grub stuff away.  You can also edit
the boot record directly and remove it using debug or whatever.

I have seen this method work on some recent work I have done with IBM.

--
Michael Perry

------------------

HELP! -- Grub tutorial?

Post by Edward A. Fa » Fri, 08 Sep 2000 05:44:03

Quote:>Hi all; yesterday I tried to remove Caldera technology preview from
>my system and install redhat.  The redhat install aborted (my
>mistake) and now when I reboot I get this "grub" prompt and can't
>get any further.

A bit more web browsing found the answer.  The commands I was
looking for were:

        chainloader (hd0,0)+1
        boot

My, how very obvious.  Not.

At least I got my machine back up, with another OS installed now.

Between the eight-hour install procedure, and this POS booter,
and the broken x86 config, I'm never touching Caldera again.

--

http://www.rahul.net/falk/whatToDo.html    #**************F******!******!*!!****
and read 12 Simple Things You Can Do       ******!***************************#**
to Save the Internet                       **#******#*********!**WW*W**WW****

HELP! -- Grub tutorial?

Post by Edward A. Fa » Fri, 08 Sep 2000 05:45:16

Quote:>Download Tom's Root Boot and get yourself a bootable single floppy version of
>linux and see if you cannot get something salvagable that way.

Unfortunately, I have no floppy drive (gave the laptop to someone
else who now can't find it.  Or the install disks.)

--

Post by Edward A. Fa » Fri, 08 Sep 2000 05:45:48

>Try:

>  http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/grub-faq.en.html
>  http://www.uruk.org/orig-grub/

This was what I was looking for.  Thanx!

--

Post by Edward A. Fa » Fri, 08 Sep 2000 05:47:41

>Try getting a bootable dos floppy, put on it fdisk and format.com.  Now boot
>the dos floppy and try to fdisk /mbr the grub stuff away.  You can also edit
>the boot record directly and remove it using debug or whatever.

I have bootable floppies.  I even studied the art of making rescue
disks once.  Only helps if you haven't lost the floppy drive though.

Thanx anyway.  I eventually found an FAQ on the Caldera page that
told me the magic command to give to GRUB.  From there I was able
to boot to my Windoze partition and save the day.

--

http://www.rahul.net/falk/whatToDo.html    #**************F******!******!*!!****
and read 12 Simple Things You Can Do       ******!***************************#**
to Save the Internet                       **#******#*********!**WW*W**WW****

HELP! -- Grub tutorial?

Post by Colin Wats » Fri, 08 Sep 2000 07:27:14

Quote:>A bit more web browsing found the answer.  The commands I was
>looking for were:

>    chainloader (hd0,0)+1
>    boot

>My, how very obvious.  Not.

>At least I got my machine back up, with another OS installed now.

>Between the eight-hour install procedure, and this POS booter,
>and the broken x86 config, I'm never touching Caldera again.

Actually, I have to admit to rather liking GRUB. I'm prepared to believe
Caldera didn't set it up amazingly well, but being able to configure
everything at the grub> prompt sure beats the hell out of rebooting and
editing /etc/lilo.conf all the time, especially if you play with weird
operating systems.

--

"Abandon the search for Truth; settle for a good fantasy."

HELP! -- Grub tutorial?

Post by Lonni J. Friedma » Fri, 08 Sep 2000 08:50:49

> >Hi all; yesterday I tried to remove Caldera technology preview from
> >my system and install redhat.  The redhat install aborted (my
> >mistake) and now when I reboot I get this "grub" prompt and can't
> >get any further.

> A bit more web browsing found the answer.  The commands I was
> looking for were:

>         chainloader (hd0,0)+1
>         boot

> My, how very obvious.  Not.

> At least I got my machine back up, with another OS installed now.

> Between the eight-hour install procedure, and this POS booter,
> and the broken x86 config, I'm never touching Caldera again.

Perhaps if you had bothered to read all of the documentation before
plunging in you wouldn't have run into these problems in the first
place.

You were most certainly doing ALOT wrong if it took 8 hours to install
COL. I've done it many times and the longest that it ever took was an
hour on an old 486 with 32MB of RAM.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with GRUB, its just not LILO.  Don't
read the docs, which you ended up finding when you made the effort, and
of course its confusing as all hell.

I haven't the foggiest clue what you seem to think is broken with
xf86config, XF86Setup or lizardx.  They all work as advertised, assuming
that you know what it is you're trying to do.  The first 2 are standard
with ALL linux distro's that use XFree86 for an X server, so you'll
never escape them if you plan to use linux again.

So, it seems that the biggest problem here is between the keyboard &
chair.  Maybe you should try Corel Linux.  I hear that they've dumbed it
down enough to the point where its just about as inflexible and
miserable to use as M$ windoze.

HELP! -- Grub tutorial?

Post by Dave » Fri, 08 Sep 2000 19:57:15

> >Hi all; yesterday I tried to remove Caldera technology preview from
> >my system and install redhat.  The redhat install aborted (my
> >mistake) and now when I reboot I get this "grub" prompt and can't
> >get any further.

> A bit more web browsing found the answer.  The commands I was
> looking for were:

>         chainloader (hd0,0)+1
>         boot

> My, how very obvious.  Not.

> At least I got my machine back up, with another OS installed now.

> Between the eight-hour install procedure, and this POS booter,
> and the broken x86 config, I'm never touching Caldera again.

A win-win solution for everyone :-)

Cheers DaveH.

1. Applying latest Recommended/Security patches installs grub, but "Solaris failsafe" grub option is missing.

Hello Guys,

After applying in single user mode the following patches on a Sun
W1100z workstation running Solaris 10 x86/64 03/05,

118344-08-SunOS 5.10_x86: Fault Manager Patch
118966-19-X11 6.8.0_x86: Xorg patch
119060-12-X11 6.6.2_x86: Xsun patch
119116-17-Mozilla 1.7_x86 patch
119549-04-GNOME 2.6.0_x86: Gnome Multi-protocol instant messaging
client Pat
119901-02-GNOME 2.6.0_x86: Gnome libtiff - library for reading and
writing T
122035-01-SunOS 5.10_x86: nawk patch
122857-02-SunOS 5.10_x86: sendmail patch
118372-07-SunOS 5.10_x86: elfsign Patch
118855-02-SunOS 5.10_x86: kernel patch
118919-12-SunOS 5.10_x86: Solaris Crypto Framework patch
119131-19-SunOS 5.10_x86: Sun Fibre Channel Device Drivers
120901-03-SunOS 5.10_x86: libzonecfg patch
121334-02-SunOS 5.10_x86: zoneadmd, zlogin and zoneadm patch
119255-19-SunOS 5.10_x86: Install and Patch Utilities Patch
120255-02-SunOS 5.10_x86: ufs Patch
122033-02-SunOS 5.10_x86: Update timezones patch

I rebooted the system and it came up with a "panic: cannot mount boot
archive".
Googling around, I kind of found out how to get around this, which is:

I booted from cdrom 1 of Solaris 10 x86 (01/06) and ran the following:
# mount /dev/dsk/c0d0s0 /a
# bootadm update-archive -f -R /a

Now the W1100z boots up fine, but still, comparing the grub menu
options on the W1100z (natively 03/05) to another one (32 bit,
unfortunately) which I have installed from scratch with the 01/06
media, there is no "Solaris failsafe" boot option.

On the 32bit 01/06 box, I can see the following in /boot/grub/menu.lst
#---------- ADDED BY BOOTADM - DO NOT EDIT ----------
title Solaris failsafe
root (hd0,0,a)
kernel /boot/multiboot kernel/unix -s
module /boot/x86.miniroot-safe
#---------------------END BOOTADM--------------------
With /boot/multiboot and /boot/x86.miniroot-safe existing under /boot.

But, these files are not present on the 64 bit W1100z.

Any idea about how to get this sorted?

Thanks in advance

Loris

2. KOGi LCD monitor cuts off text when not in X-Windows

3. Dejagnu Tutorial: Fees Reduced and Tutorial Descriptions for

4. Need help on makehistory command.

5. HowDo I: Boot from Redhat GRUB to Mandrake GRUB

6. Trying to upgrade to Linux kernel 2.4.13

7. GRUB winxp and RH8 - Grub overwritten

8. XDM login failure and NIS+

9. awk Tutorial: Fees Reduced and Tutorial Descriptions for

10. Grub setup trouble (newbie with grub and Suse 8.1)

11. GRUB: GRUB requires a working absolute objcopy; upgrade your binutils

12. Guile Tutorial: Fees Reduced and Tutorial Descriptions for

13. Linux Tutorial: Fees Reduced and Tutorial Descriptions for