How to override screen positioning of oversize X-Windows?

How to override screen positioning of oversize X-Windows?

Post by doug a blaisde » Fri, 11 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Howdy!
While scanning a set of images with XV, I frequently have JPGs that are too
large for my screen, and even though I do:

     xv -geometry -0+0 file.jpg
                   ^^^
X places the control buttons of the oversize window off the top
of the screen area.  This means I have to drag an edge downward
to get at the buttons and kill the xv window. I don't want
to rescale the image, since it takes XV alot longer to load the
image, and my screen is already set to a high resolution.

On oversize images, I'd like to have the top border of the window
(controls) visible at the expense of the bottom part, which will be
off the screen. It's the opposite now.

Any suggestions?
thanks,
doug

Post by Tony » Sat, 12 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> Howdy!
> While scanning a set of images with XV, I frequently have JPGs that are too
> large for my screen, and even though I do:

>      xv -geometry -0+0 file.jpg
>                    ^^^

What about trying

xv -geometry -0+10 file.jpg  ???

TB

Post by j » Sat, 12 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>Howdy!
>While scanning a set of images with XV, I frequently have JPGs that are too
>large for my screen, and even though I do:

>     xv -geometry -0+0 file.jpg
>                   ^^^
>X places the control buttons of the oversize window off the top
>of the screen area.  This means I have to drag an edge downward
>to get at the buttons and kill the xv window. I don't want
>to rescale the image, since it takes XV alot longer to load the
>image, and my screen is already set to a high resolution.
>On oversize images, I'd like to have the top border of the window
>(controls) visible at the expense of the bottom part, which will be
>off the screen. It's the opposite now.
>Any suggestions?

I don't mean to be rude, but your xv line sounds weird to me since you
want a background wallpaper instead of a window* in the back.
Well, in first case, try
        xv -quit -root -8 *.*
Replace *.* with path and image filename. Can be on mounted DOS
partition. The upside is it saves you lot of memory. About 1MB. In
latter case, you just have to do
        xkill
and click on the unwanted window. It'll be gone.

Quote:>thanks,

anytime.

Hello!

I have 3 questions about X-windows:

Is there a good graphical bases typewriter (not editor) in which
i can write and layout text in x-windows, without using a bunch
of codes as in e.g. latech.

Is it possible to make a telnet like connection in a MS windows
based PC to a unix machine which is capable to run the X-windows
system. So i could use for example Xmaple when I am sitting home
where i dont have unix, but I do have a fast pc and internet.

Is there a special X-windows newsgroup?

Please e-mail me because i cant read the newsgroups so often.

thanks

Sander Zboray
http://gene.wins.uva.nl/~zboray

2. two network cards, cable modem, etc...

3. can't control the position of an own X-Windows application

4. RedHat 5.2 installation with PCMCIA

5. X-Windows comes up, when I bring up an Xterm, X-Windows quits

6. Squid + Junkbuster

7. After Install X-windows comes up I run Xterm, X-windows quits

8. modules.dep error

9. X-window screen positioning

10. X-Windows screen resolution

11. Text screen is not restored after exiting from X-windows

12. HELP!!! on x-windows screen modes...

13. X-windows programs are too big to fit the screen