New HDD copy; using "Drive Copy" program (W98) to dupe Linux

New HDD copy; using "Drive Copy" program (W98) to dupe Linux

Post by Rob Thiel » Sat, 12 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Hello Linux Folks,

I've got RH5.1 Linux & W98 on the same West. Dig. 4GB drive,
and would like to copy all partitions & data to a new Maxtor 5.7GB
drive using "Drive Copy" program under W98.

I'm not expecting trouble getting it going in terms of CMOS settings,
or in terms of W98.  I am worried, however, about exactly which
files or other changes need to be made in Linux in order to be able
to successfully boot to the newly copied drive of a different size.

I have ver. 2.0 of Drive Copy, which claims to support copying
Linux partitions & data.

I'm fairly new to Linux, so please assume newbie-speak in
your responses ; )

Many, many thanks for your kindness in responding.

Sincerely,

Post by wwwad.. » Wed, 23 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> Hello Linux Folks,

> I've got RH5.1 Linux & W98 on the same West. Dig. 4GB drive,
> and would like to copy all partitions & data to a new Maxtor 5.7GB
> drive using "Drive Copy" program under W98.

> I'm not expecting trouble getting it going in terms of CMOS settings,
> or in terms of W98.  I am worried, however, about exactly which
> files or other changes need to be made in Linux in order to be able
> to successfully boot to the newly copied drive of a different size.

> I have ver. 2.0 of Drive Copy, which claims to support copying
> Linux partitions & data.

> I'm fairly new to Linux, so please assume newbie-speak in
> your responses ; )

> Many, many thanks for your kindness in responding.

> Sincerely,

  Hey, I have a few seconds and think I know what you want, you want to
copy your linux systom on a larger disk from ide to ide OK ?
Than take an other linux from a boot disk or so and mount the two
harddisks as hda and hdb (or hdc ..) on hdb is an ext2 filesystem
generated (on the new larger disk) from yourself by mkfs.ext2  /dev/..
and make a cp -a and so you have to check the man page if you need more
options and go on, thats all.
Bye
Christian

1. New HDD copy; using "Drive Copy" program (W98) to dupe Linux

Hello Linux Folks,

I've got RH5.1 Linux & W98 on the same West. Dig. 4GB drive,
and would like to copy all partitions & data to a new Maxtor 5.7GB
drive using "Drive Copy" program under W98.

I'm not expecting trouble getting it going in terms of CMOS settings,
or in terms of W98.  I am worried, however, about exactly which
files or other changes need to be made in Linux in order to be able
to successfully boot to the newly copied drive of a different size.

I have ver. 2.0 of Drive Copy, which claims to support copying
Linux partitions & data.

I'm fairly new to Linux, so please assume newbie-speak in
your responses ; )

Many, many thanks for your kindness in responding.

Sincerely,

2. Solaris 8 PC Install

3. Installing KDE 1.0 on RedHat 5.0

4. help: using "cp" causes data corruption when copying from drive to drive.

5. security holes of news ?

6. "dd" copy fails to copy errors

7. (?) UUCP and Hayes Ultra 9600

8. Common Desktop "copy" & "paste" fuction keys not working in Exceed 6.1

9. How to get "copy" and "paste" keys in X?

10. Help! Using "dd" for disk copy ?

11. "Bulk" copy FreeBSD disk drives?

12. Help !! Using "dd" for disk copy ?