Driver for Philips LMS CM-206 CD?

Post by Jonathon Bart » Sat, 16 Dec 1995 04:00:00

I am in the process of installing LINUX onto what (was) my PC.

I bought a CD-ROM specifically to install LINUX from several months prior
to looking into the actual install.

I goofed.

I bought a Philips LMS CM-206 2x CD...the *one* Philips drive that does
not have a driver listed in the default setups...

Has one been developed that I can patch into a re-compiled Kernel, or
would it be easier to junk the drive and buy a different one to attach to
my Sound Blaster 16 (which already *is* supported in the kernel I am
using...)

jonathon

Driver for Philips LMS CM-206 CD?

Post by Robert Lync » Sun, 17 Dec 1995 04:00:00

[snip]
Quote:>Has one been developed that I can patch into a re-compiled Kernel, or

[snip]

If you run a v. 1.3 kernel (I'm using 1.3.10), the drive is supported
without needing to load a driver.

Cheers, Bob L.
Robert *    |"You mean you can't take LESS; it's very easy

Post by Jason D. Morri » Sun, 17 Dec 1995 04:00:00

> I am in the process of installing LINUX onto what (was) my PC.

> I bought a CD-ROM specifically to install LINUX from several months prior
> to looking into the actual install.

> I goofed.

> I bought a Philips LMS CM-206 2x CD...the *one* Philips drive that does
> not have a driver listed in the default setups...

> Has one been developed that I can patch into a re-compiled Kernel, or
> would it be easier to junk the drive and buy a different one to attach to
> my Sound Blaster 16 (which already *is* supported in the kernel I am
> using...)

> jonathon

Kernel 1.3.45 has a driver for the CM-206.  I've been using it for about 2-3
weeks with no problems.

Jason

Post by CLin » Fri, 22 Dec 1995 04:00:00

> I am in the process of installing LINUX onto what (was) my PC.

> I bought a CD-ROM specifically to install LINUX from several months prior
> to looking into the actual install.

> I goofed.

> I bought a Philips LMS CM-206 2x CD...the *one* Philips drive that does
> not have a driver listed in the default setups...

> Has one been developed that I can patch into a re-compiled Kernel, or
> would it be easier to junk the drive and buy a different one to attach to
> my Sound Blaster 16 (which already *is* supported in the kernel I am
> using...)

> jonathon

A frend of mine has a Philips CM-205 CD rom and is looking for drivers
for Linux.. if someone knows where we can get them please let me know..

Driver for Philips LMS CM-206 CD?

Post by Robert Lync » Fri, 22 Dec 1995 04:00:00

CLink wrote [about the 205 drive, in the body of a 206 msg.]
[snip]
Quote:> A frend of mine has a Philips CM-205 CD rom and is looking for drivers
> for Linux.. if someone knows where we can get them please let me know..

According to the Linux "CD-ROM Howto" written by Jeff Tranter

driver [i.e., the 206 driver], but there is a separate Alpha release
driver available."

This was written on 18 August 1995--maybe there have been some
developments in the meantime; why don't you contact the author of the
Howto and ask him?  Cheers, Bob L.
--

Heimat zu: mein irisch Kind, wo weilest du?"--- R. Wagner

1. LMS Philips CD-ROM (CM-206)

I recently acquired a really cheap 2X Philips/LMS CD-ROM drive.  I already
have a working SB/Panasonic CD-ROM, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to add
another drive.  (2X + 2X = 4X hee hee).

Anyways, the new LMS drive works perfectly in DOS and windows. After doing
some research, I found that there's a kernel patch for LMS/Philips CD-ROM
drives (CM-205, CM-202, etc).  However, for some unmentioned reason, this
patch specifically doesn't support the CM-206 CD-ROM drive.  Is there any
linux support for the drive?  Is there any way I can modify the kernel
patch for CM-205 so that it'll work with CM-206 drives?

The drive attaches to a Philips CM-260 ISA adapter.  The connector is some
kind of proprietary design... <shrug>

I'd appreciate any help

--
Mike San Jose

2. ftp:restrict users to home dir

3. Philips LMS CM-206 CD-Rom

4. Problem getting java to work

5. Philips CM-206 CD-ROM device driver: where?

6. 2.4.18-pre9

7. Philips CM-206 CD-ROM drivers in order to install Linux

8. trident 8900d

9. Philips CM-206 driver

10. RedHat 4.2 & Philips CD-ROM (CM-206/260)

11. Philips CM-206 CD-Rom Drive

12. GW2000 LMS/Phillips CM 206 CD and Linux need driver, help :<(

13. Looking for a Philips LMS 206 (not 205) CD-ROM driver