slackware 3.5 - another partition question

Post by Rod Roar » Sun, 18 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>I finally have the extra hard drive working with linux, it is a 350 Meg
>HD just used for extra space.  The first drive is a 540 meg drive for
>the rest of the linux system, and "hdb" is a 3.2 Gig drive for
>windows/dos, I have now added the 350 Meg drive as an additional linux,
>but is there a way I can use the new drive for /usr, or just cp the
>entire /usr directory to that drive(I'm out of space on my first drive)?
>How can I do this? Is this that "tar" thing? if so, how do I go about
>doing it?

You want to:

(1) partition (fdisk) and format (mkfs) the 350M drive;
(2) Mount (mount) it somewhere and then copy (cp -avx) your current
    /usr directory to it, then unmount (umount) it;
(3) Rename (mv) /usr to /oldusr, and make (mkdir) a new, empty
    /usr directory.
(4) Make an fstab (man fstab) entry to mount the drive to /usr
    at boot time;
(5) Reboot, make sure the new filesystem is mounted (df), and then
    make sure everything in /usr still works;
(6) When satisfied, remove (rm -rf) /oldusr with its contents.

Look up the commands in parentheses (man <command>) to understand them
before using them!  This will take some study, but you'll be very glad to
have the experience.

Hope this helps.

-- Rod
Sunset Systems                         Home of the $500 Linux Computer
http://www.sunsetsystems.com/

slackware 3.5 - another partition question

Post by W J Chive » Sun, 18 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I finally have the extra hard drive working with linux, it is a 350 Meg
>HD just used for extra space.  The first drive is a 540 meg drive for
>the rest of the linux system, and "hdb" is a 3.2 Gig drive for
>windows/dos, I have now added the 350 Meg drive as an additional linux,
>but is there a way I can use the new drive for /usr, or just cp the
>entire /usr directory to that drive(I'm out of space on my first drive)?
>How can I do this? Is this that "tar" thing? if so, how do I go about
>doing it?

>TecMaster

just a quick question... i'm using a 340Mb drive for Slackware (with
about half free).  how soon did it take you to fill the 540, and
what's the largest waste of space?

W. J. Chivers

slackware 3.5 - another partition question

Post by Clifford Ki » Sun, 18 Oct 1998 04:00:00

One way is

1)      mount the ext2 formatted 350 on, say, /mnt
2)      cd /
3)      cp -a /usr/ /mnt
4)      Look in /mnt to see if it looks right.
5)      umount /mnt
6)      modify /etc/fstab to mount the 350 on /usr
7)      mv usr usr-save
8)      mkdir /usr
9)      mount the 350 on /usr
10)     If things seem to work, then rm -rf usr-save

Steps 7), 8), and 9) should be done back-to-back with no other activity
in-between them.  You also might want to be sure that mkdir, mv, and mount
are in /bin and not /usr/bin, and use ldd to check that any libraries mkdir,
mv, and mount need are in /lib and not /usr/lib.

And be sure to check my logic, this carries no guarantee or warranty.
To quote from the chat (for pppd) man pages: "If it breaks, you get to
keep both pieces." ;)  Everyone should have a backup and a good rescue
disk handy.

If you want a "tar thing" ala "Running Linux", it appears to be

cd /usr
tar cf - . | (cd ../mnt; tar xvf -)
cd /

and would replace 3) above.  When I when through this a few weeks ago
it seemed simplier to use cp since all the other steps are necessary
whether using cp or tar.

--
Clifford Kite                                           Not a guru. (tm)

Post by Single Gu » Mon, 19 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I finally have the extra hard drive working with linux, it is a 350 Meg
HD just used for extra space.  The first drive is a 540 meg drive for
the rest of the linux system, and "hdb" is a 3.2 Gig drive for
windows/dos, I have now added the 350 Meg drive as an additional linux,
but is there a way I can use the new drive for /usr, or just cp the
entire /usr directory to that drive(I'm out of space on my first drive)?
How can I do this? Is this that "tar" thing? if so, how do I go about
doing it?

TecMaster

slackware 3.5 - another partition question

Post by Single Gu » Tue, 20 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Let me first just say that I installed everything that comes with slackware
3.5, and I actually have about 110 Meg still open on that 540 Meg
drive...Everything installed, meaning, X Windows, Netscape, all games,
networking package, etc...  I just didin't want to completely fill my first
drive(i've heard it's not good)...
That answer your question?

> >I finally have the extra hard drive working with linux, it is a 350 Meg
> >HD just used for extra space.  The first drive is a 540 meg drive for
> >the rest of the linux system, and "hdb" is a 3.2 Gig drive for
> >windows/dos, I have now added the 350 Meg drive as an additional linux,
> >but is there a way I can use the new drive for /usr, or just cp the
> >entire /usr directory to that drive(I'm out of space on my first drive)?
> >How can I do this? Is this that "tar" thing? if so, how do I go about
> >doing it?

> >TecMaster

> just a quick question... i'm using a 340Mb drive for Slackware (with
> about half free).  how soon did it take you to fill the 540, and
> what's the largest waste of space?

> W. J. Chivers

slackware 3.5 - another partition question

Post by Single Gu » Tue, 20 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Let me first just say that I installed everything that comes with slackware
3.5, and I actually have about 110 Meg still open on that 540 Meg
drive...Everything installed, meaning, X Windows, Netscape, all games,
networking package, etc...  I just didin't want to completely fill my first
drive(i've heard it's not good)...
That answer your question?

> >I finally have the extra hard drive working with linux, it is a 350 Meg
> >HD just used for extra space.  The first drive is a 540 meg drive for
> >the rest of the linux system, and "hdb" is a 3.2 Gig drive for
> >windows/dos, I have now added the 350 Meg drive as an additional linux,
> >but is there a way I can use the new drive for /usr, or just cp the
> >entire /usr directory to that drive(I'm out of space on my first drive)?
> >How can I do this? Is this that "tar" thing? if so, how do I go about
> >doing it?

> >TecMaster

> just a quick question... i'm using a 340Mb drive for Slackware (with
> about half free).  how soon did it take you to fill the 540, and
> what's the largest waste of space?

> W. J. Chivers

1. slackware 3.5 on dos/win95 partition

i currently have slackware 3.5 installed on a 540Meg drive, and windows
95 on a 3.2 Gig drive - 3.2 Gig has 2 partitions, 1- 2 gig partition,
and 1-1 Gig partition, nothing on the second partition(hoping to use it
for linux)...Use LILO to boot either operating system...
i have run out of space on my linux drive and decided I want to
reinstall slackware on my 3.2 Gig drive, 2nd partition, i have all the
linux source files on the first partition of the 3.2 gig drive...  i
need to repartition the 1 gig partition with linux? will i have to
repartition my whole drive, and possibly reinstall windows?  can I just
start installing linux on the 1 gig part.?
please help....

Thanks in advance...

2. Disabling SCSI on AXPpci33

3. Force hme into full-duplex?

4. Problems when adding partitions to install Linux Slackware 3.5

5. testing

6. slackware 3.5 + partitions

7. Fixdist availability

8. slackware 3.5 - partition/HD problem...

9. slackware 3.5 - command history question...

10. Slackware 3.5 Slow command response Question

11. slackware 3.5 - ppp setup &ethernet question

12. slackware 3.5 - Ethernet Networking questions...