slackware or redhat? I know, it's been asked a billion times. Sorry

slackware or redhat? I know, it's been asked a billion times. Sorry

Post by Brya » Mon, 05 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I  have narrowed it down to these two distributions I am pretty sure.
I would like some advice though.  I have been on the newsgroup for
about two months reading the questions and answers and I have got to
say that this NG beats any tech-support hands down.  You guys are
great!:)  Now to the questions.  From what I have heard,  RedHat is
easier to install than Slackware is and and easier to maintain.  The
problem is that I don't won't to be *totally* spoon fed, I want to get
my hands a little dirty.  I was also wondering, will I be missing out
on anything if I chose Slackware over Redhat as in what the package
offers,  RedHat comes with Apache server for example .  I could just
as easily get both and try them out. aaaaaaaaaaaah!!  I don't know
where to go!
  A few last things, sorry about this.  The book Running Linux from
O'reilly, will this help me if with either Slackware or Redhat. I know
one version of the book comes with a version of Redhat. Since I have
heard so many great things about the book I think I am going to pick
it up.
 I have found a lot of information about setting up Linux on a Win95
machine with one HD but very little info on two HD.  I would like to
dedicate on HD to Linux.  Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Bryan
Email or post.

Remove the spamfree to email.

slackware or redhat? I know, it's been asked a billion times. Sorry

Post by Brya » Mon, 05 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I am replying to my own post because I have found one answer, I know
which distribution to use, I am going with Slackware.  I visited the
Walnut Creek site and decided I want linux on a motorcycle.  So I will
have to suck it up, get my hands dirty and learn how an operating
system works, I can't wait.

Don't fret I'm jumping in feet first.

Post by Steve Vitu » Mon, 05 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> I  have narrowed it down to these two distributions I am pretty sure.

You didn't mention S.u.S.E.  I have used the others and IMHO S.u.S.E.
is the best... espically for Un*x newbies.

Quote:>   A few last things, sorry about this.  The book Running Linux from
> O'reilly, will this help me if with either Slackware or Redhat.

Running Linux is ok, but if I was going to buy just one Linux book it
would be Linux Secrets from IDG books because it contains step-by-step
instructions on setting up your printer.  Once the printer is setup you
can print the HOWTO files that come with your Linux distribution.  The
best information about Linux is in these docs (and at your users group).

Good luck, and have a lot of fun!   Steve

slackware or redhat? I know, it's been asked a billion times. Sorry

Post by Ejvend Nielse » Tue, 06 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Hey Bryan,

    I know I shouldn't give advice, for I am a newbie myself....however I
felt to I should say that I have been playing with Linux for about 3 months
total time and have really enjoyed Slackware.  The reason is I am a CS major
and enjoy toying with my computer.  I got board with OS's like Windoze and
needed something with a little challenge.  Well, I tell you now...Linux is a
challenge and FUN!!!!!  I have learned more about my system and OS's than I
ever have before.   One word of advice that I can give....Don't get
frustrated and do read the man pages trust me they do help....

Ejvend

>I  have narrowed it down to these two distributions I am pretty sure.
>I would like some advice though.  I have been on the newsgroup for
>about two months reading the questions and answers and I have got to
>say that this NG beats any tech-support hands down.  You guys are
>great!:)  Now to the questions.  From what I have heard,  RedHat is
>easier to install than Slackware is and and easier to maintain.  The
>problem is that I don't won't to be *totally* spoon fed, I want to get
>my hands a little dirty.  I was also wondering, will I be missing out
>on anything if I chose Slackware over Redhat as in what the package
>offers,  RedHat comes with Apache server for example .  I could just
>as easily get both and try them out. aaaaaaaaaaaah!!  I don't know
>where to go!
>  A few last things, sorry about this.  The book Running Linux from
>O'reilly, will this help me if with either Slackware or Redhat. I know
>one version of the book comes with a version of Redhat. Since I have
>heard so many great things about the book I think I am going to pick
>it up.
> I have found a lot of information about setting up Linux on a Win95
>machine with one HD but very little info on two HD.  I would like to
>dedicate on HD to Linux.  Thank you very much.

>Sincerely,

>Bryan
>Email or post.

>Remove the spamfree to email.

slackware or redhat? I know, it's been asked a billion times. Sorry

Post by Jesse Weiger » Fri, 09 Jan 1998 04:00:00

RedHat attempts to spoon feed you, but it doesn't work.  It has tons of
GUI interfaces for setting everything up, but nothing really works well
for what anybody would want.  I would go with slackware.  It has most of
the config files already so you just edit them instead of writing them
from scratch like RedHat.

--
 -Jesse

  http://mid.home.ml.org
  AOL screen name: JesseWeige

  vcard.vcf
< 1K Download

slackware or redhat? I know, it's been asked a billion times. Sorry

Post by Richard Stein » Mon, 12 Jan 1998 04:00:00

spake unto us, saying:

Quote:>RedHat attempts to spoon feed you, but it doesn't work.  It has tons of
>GUI interfaces for setting everything up, but nothing really works well
>for what anybody would want.

Not sure I understand this comment at all.  I use both Slackware 3.2
and Red Hat 4.2 here, and Red Hat's RPM and PPP configuration are both
very useful.  RPM doesn't need a GUI interface, BTW, and I much prefer
to use the command-line version of RPM to that Glint thing.  Or xrpm.

--

           OS/2 Warp 4 + Linux + Executor = PC Hobbyist Heaven!
                   The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

1. (sorry but didn't know where to ask) Warning: unable to lock LAN

Hello, first of all sorry if this is not the place to ask this, please
redirecteme.

Here is my problem:
I have a linux box with 2 eth. When I start some apps like snort,
ethereal, iptraf, etc... the box stops forwarding paquetes and I get
this error msg:
iptraf:
    Warning: unable to tag this process
    Warning: unable to lock LAN on eth0
snort:
    Does'n give me an error but stops forwarding too.
ethereal:
    Does'n give me an error but stops forwarding too.

I have searched all the logs, but could not find nothing.

Any Ideas?

thanks
Billy

2. A new breed of free email! Worldwide access including WWW, Outlook,mobiles/PDAs etc.!

3. I know it's been asked a million times...

4. searching a file

5. REDHAT 6.1 install is there a text way without endless rebooting a billion times

6. why is 3.2 console SLOW?

7. Exit status of child proc - yes I know, I know it's been asked before...

8. HELP!!! "Kernel Panic: No init Found"

9. how do I know 'From Where?' I am connected?

10. Billions and Billions of Interrupts

11. Sorry to ask: Meto-X, Redhat-4, Acerview 54e, Mach-64 - have rtfm ;-)

12. Need to process 3 billion (yes billion!) rows

13. Would like to know no of times I am being fingered..