"Unable to open an initial console" while trying out new kernel

"Unable to open an initial console" while trying out new kernel

Post by Daniel G. Li » Wed, 06 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Hi,

On one of my machines, i get "unable to open an initial console" when trying
out a new kernel. The machine is able to run 2.0.12. What does this error
message mean? (No, I do have a working /dev/console.)

Thanx for any help.

Daniel
--
Forward In All Directions!
http://cyclone.snafu.de/

1. Serial console and "unable to open an initial console"

Running RedHad 6.1, I tried to follow the instrucitons in
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/serial-console.txt to create a serial console.

I get a bunch of "boot-type" messages (hardware addresses, IRQs, etc.) on
ttyS0, then it gets to "Freeing unused kernel memory" and complains "Warning:
unable to open an initial console".  initd then proceeds to write all its
messages to the VGA display.

ls -l /dev/console shows crw--w--w- 1 root root 5,0 and ls -l /dev/ttyS0
shows crw--w--w- 1 root tty 4,64

I think I rebuilt the kernel with CONFIG_CONSOLE_SERIAL=y (and that appears
in /usr/src/linux/configs/kernel-2.2.12-i686.config) and did the other things
the doc called for, and clearly it's partly working, but I must have
overlooked something.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Jonathan Edwards

2. AT6800W europe

3. Kernel 2.5.62 "unable to open initial console"

4. Multiuser/singleuser => Multuser/unusable

5. Help with Kernel error: "Unable to open initial console."

6. Network Interfaces and ioctl calls

7. "Unable to open a initial console" message

8. RS6000 H80's

9. How to correct "Unable to open an initial console"?

10. NFS root : get "Unable to open initial console"

11. Error message "unable to open an initial console"

12. "Unable to open an initial console" on boot

13. Boot problems -- Suddenly "unable to open initial console"