How to dual boot Win2000 & RedHat6.1??

Post by Chip Pille » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I have a PC with two hard drives.  Win2000 is installed on hda and
RedHat6.1 is installed on hdb.
I have to use the bootfloppy to start linux.  Anyone know how to setup
for dual boot without using the bootfloppy?
Thanks,
Chip

How to dual boot Win2000 & RedHat6.1??

Post by Mikko Vaanane » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I installed lilo on /dev/hda instead of fd0. There is following line in
/etc/lilo.conf :

boot=/dev/hda

You probably have "boot=/dev/fd0". Change this and make other necessary
changes:

other=/dev/hda1
          label=windoze

and then simply run lilo.

> I have a PC with two hard drives.  Win2000 is installed on hda and
> RedHat6.1 is installed on hdb.
> I have to use the bootfloppy to start linux.  Anyone know how to setup
> for dual boot without using the bootfloppy?
> Thanks,
> Chip

How to dual boot Win2000 & RedHat6.1??

Post by Chip Pille » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I installed lilo on /dev/hda instead of fd0. There is following line in
> /etc/lilo.conf :

> boot=/dev/hda

> You probably have "boot=/dev/fd0". Change this and make other necessary
> changes:

> other=/dev/hda1
>           label=windoze

> and then simply run lilo.

Are you saying that you are using LILO on the master boot record
(/dev/hda) to dual boot Windows2000 and Linux?  And it works? What does
your /etc/lilo.conf file look like?.
I know how to setup lilo to dual boot Win98, Win95, but not Win2000. I
know that NT is not happy unless it runs it's own bootloader program.
Let me know.
Thanks,
Chip

Post by Richard Tilman » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I have a PC with two hard drives.  Win2000 is installed on hda and
> RedHat6.1 is installed on hdb.
> I have to use the bootfloppy to start linux.  Anyone know how to setup
> for dual boot without using the bootfloppy?
> Thanks,
> Chip

You can change this by setting up the right lilo bootloader.  Read about
it with:

man lilo.conf

1. Win2000 pro & Linux dual boot

What boot loader is recomended for a windows 2000 proffesional / Linux
(redhat / mandrake) dual boot.

I have win2000 running on a 40gb striped harddisk, and will run linux of a
6gb standalone disk. What boot managers will support this configuration?

--
/*-------------------------------------------
Zayin Krige

www.redpoint.co.za
Redpoint Solutions (Pty) Ltd
Custom Software Solutions
------------------------------------------*/

3. Dual-drive dual-boot RH Linux 5.1 & Win95: recommended boot manager?

4. hot-swap ide disk.

5. Caldera VS SAMBA

6. Win2000 and Linux Dual Boot

7. Matrox MGA G400 DualHead and X 4.0.1

8. Dual Boot: Evolution Mail/Win2000 account get locked frequenctly

9. dual booting Redhat and win2000

10. GRUB Dual-booting Win2000-LINUX Problem

11. Can Solaris dual boot with nt4.0 and win2000 server?

12. Linux/Win2000 dual boot