Mandrake Installation - ramdisk

Post by pessi.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hello LinuxWorld!

I am finding some problems with the Mandrake 7.2 instalation. The
system crashes (stops the yellow line) when Loading second stage
ramdisk.

Does someone can tell me what is the problem, and how can I solve it?

Thank you very much.

Luis
Portugal

Mandrake Installation - ramdisk

Post by Tristan Wall » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>Hello LinuxWorld!

>I am finding some problems with the Mandrake 7.2 instalation.
>The system crashes (stops the yellow line) when Loading
>second stage ramdisk.
>Does someone can tell me what is the problem, and how can I
>solve it?
>Thank you very much.

I had the exact same problem with Mandrake 7.1 CDs which I
had burned. It turned out that the old CDROM in my computer
couldn't recognize burned CDs correctly. When I replaced it
with a new CDROM Mandrake installed perfectly.

Try switching to another virtual terminal with ctrl-alt-F4 (or F3 I
can't remember which) and see if the install is reporting that your
CDROM is losing interrupt.

If so, you may need to replace the CDROM, or alternatively buy
the pressed 7.2 CDs

Tristan

1. problem with creating ramdisk: kernel loads, but hangs when it tries to mount ramdisk

Hi,

I built a ramdisk root partition for redhat 5.2, but it seems to crash as
soon as the kernel jumps to the ramdisk.
The last message I see is:
    VFS: Mounted root (ext2 fileseystem).

I built the ramdisk according to the instructions in docs/bootdisks
(followed it precisely)

Basically, I zeroed /dev/ram, made it an ext2 file system, and then mounted
it on /mnt.
I then created /mnt/dev, /mnt/etc, /mnt/bin, /mnt/sbin, /mnt/lib, /mnt/usr,
and /mnt/var
I populated dev with cp -dpR /dev /mnt
I then copied most of the /bin and /sbin binaries into their respective
locations.  I issued an ldd /mnt/bin/init and copied all of the libraries
required by init.  I stripped out the debug information with objmove from
the libraries and maintained symbolic links.

I then unmounted /mnt and copied the contents of /dev/ram to a file with a
dd if=/dev/ram of=rootfs bs=1k
It said there was a read/write error at this step.  Not sure what caused the
error.

Could someone post a generic redhat 5.2 (intel) ramdisk root partition (one
that can be mounted by the kernel and contains basic binaries)?  I would
really like to try a ramdisk that I know is working.

Thanks,

Oscar Stiffelman

2. Poor floppy performance in kernel 2.4.10

3. - ramdisk.image.gz (0/78) Re: potato on beige G3: where is ramdisk?

4. Is anyone working on scanner support?

5. ramdisk for linux: mount /ramdisk

6. CSLIP bug in v1.1.50? (Van jacobsen header compression)

7. init ramdisk vs. root ramdisk

8. anyone using Iomega Ditto 420mb tape drive?

9. ramdisk driver initialized: 16 ramdisks of 4096K size

10. Q: RAMDISK, how to make use of a ramdisk specified in kernel Makefile

11. RamDisk Problem: System Hang During Linux Installation

12. Redhat 6.0 ramdisk floppy installation failure

13. Ramdisk mentioned in Slackware 3.0.0 installation???