redhat partitioning with partitionmagic?

redhat partitioning with partitionmagic?

Post by M. S. S. » Wed, 31 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hi!,
        I'm trying to setup redhat on a harddrive with win98, used
partitionmagic to format a partition for linux, nowhow do I get redhat to
install in there!? And how should I subdivide that partion as (I quess?)
linux requires? It's 2 gig btw.... Any all help greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance! :)

redhat partitioning with partitionmagic?

Post by Charles Sulliva » Wed, 31 Mar 1999 04:00:00

A lot will depend on the versions of Redhat and Partition Magic you use,
the total size of your hard drive in terms of number of cylinders, how
big your Win98 partition is, and your intended use, e.g., single user
workstation or networked, etc.

Quote:>Hi!,
> I'm trying to setup redhat on a harddrive with win98, used
>partitionmagic to format a partition for linux, nowhow do I get redhat to
>install in there!? And how should I subdivide that partion as (I quess?)
>linux requires? It's 2 gig btw.... Any all help greatly appreciated!
>Thanks in advance! :)

1. LILO frezes after PartitionMagic moves LINUX partitions

This might be a FAQ.
I have installed RH5.2 (dual boot with Win95) and recently I moved all
my LINUX partition with PartitionMagic.  When I rebooted the PC

The first tragedy struck.
Lilo did not run and the screen stuck on 'LI' as if LILO cannot find
the rest of itself.  I have a boot disk
but, it seems that I needed an image from the CD to create a rescue
disk.

The second tragedy struck.
I had originally installed my RH5.2 with the help of my earstwhile
mentor.   He had the original installation images downloaded and burned
on to a CD.  He is nowhere to be found, having resigned a month ago....

On the other hand, I have Michael Kofler's book with 2 RH6.0 CD (?).
Well, I know the latest is 6.2 but am not willing to go out of my way to
purchase it.... :-)

Now any advice will be appreciated.

I am planing to boot the RH Installation CD. Question is that : Will it
go into rescue mode?  I am plaing to mount the LINUX partition with
something like...

mount -t ext2 /dev/hda/mnt/disk

and then attempt to run lilo (as root ?)

lilo -r /mnt/disk

and then attempt to reboot.

Please advise.  I am a novice on how to restore LILO, being new at this
kind of thing, anything is better than nothing.

Thanks in advance.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Very Newbie Q's

3. Problems with using PartitionMagic to move Linux partitions

4. Adminstering User Authentication Files with MSQL

5. How to use PartitionMagic 4 to make linux partition.

6. Toshiba ATAPI CD-ROM problems

7. partitioning using partitionmagic

8. Bourne Shell - How to differentiate between File, Link, or Directory

9. Copying partitions using PartitionMagic?

10. RedHat & PartitionMagic

11. Installation of RedHat Linux 7 with PartitionMagic 5

12. PartitionMagic just hangs.

13. RH5.1 & PartitionMagic 4.01