Kernel Panic: VFS

Post by Rob Roger » Fri, 21 May 1999 04:00:00

I haven't been using Linux for too long, but so far I haven't really had
any problems with it... until now.

I finally decided to load Linux on my work computer now that I've used
VMWare on my home computer and am satisfied that it will let me use
Windows NT for the administrative stuff I MUST have it for at work, and
use Linux for the rest. (I'm an administrator for a small 95/NT network
and am looking to Linux to replace some things such as our internal
email network)

The install seemed to go flawlessly and everything was working great
after the reboot. I then realized that I hadn't added a mount point for
my vfat data drive, so I got that setup alright through linuxconf. Now I
needed to reboot into NT so I could move a couple downloaded files from
my NTFS drive to the vfat drive so I could install them in Linux. When I
was finished and tried to reboot into Linux I got the error "VFS: Cannot
open root device 00:30  Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
00:30" This happens both when using a boot disk (originally I didn't
install LILO in the MBR) and when using LILO.

I tried reinstalling RedHat thinking it may have been a problem with
trying to mount my vfat drive, but I am still getting the same error
every time I try to boot into linux. I've searched the net for "Cannot
open root device" and everything that turns up is from the same faq
which had something to so with a device 08:xx and was a problem with a
SCSI disk.

In case it helps I'm using an HP Brio PII-400 with 128 MB RAM. My drives
are:
hda 8.4 GB
hdc CD-Rom

hda1 ~2GB  NTFS - NT drive
hda5 ~2GB  vfat - Data drive
hda6 ~2GB  ext2 - Linux drive
hda7 ~2GB  ext2 - Empty, I plan on using this for my VMWare space.

Any help fixing this would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Rob Rogers

1. Help: Kernel Panic:VFS: Unable to mount root, after rebuilding kernel

I get the followint message when trying to load a new kernel :

Kernel Panic:VFS: Unable to mount root.

This happens, exactly when it should say : "partitionc check hda1 hda2 hda3"

I have checked with rdev and the new kernel does have the rigth
root device (/dev/hda3). If I change this to /dev/hda1, which is my DOS
partition I get : root mounted MSDOS is read only, should be read/write
and the system hangs.

I have played with rootflag in the zImage setting it to 1 (it was 0 originnaly)
and I saw it was 1 in /vmlinuz but that did not change anything.

Moreover the new kernel is about half the size of the old :

-rw-r--r--   1 root     root       121348 Apr  2 13:43 /usr/src/linux/zImage
-r--------   1 root     root       281092 Apr  1 21:43 /vmlinuz

Finally, when I first chose SYSVIPC, when configuring it (I don't know
what it is) it would not compile :

make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux/ipc'
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -m486
-c util.c
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -m486
-c msg.c
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -m486
-c sem.c
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -m486
-c shm.c
ld -r -o ipc.o util.o  msg.o sem.o shm.o
util.o: Definition of symbol _shm_fork (multiply defined)
util.o: Definition of symbol _sem_exit (multiply defined)
util.o: Definition of symbol _shm_exit (multiply defined)
util.o: Definition of symbol _shm_swap (multiply defined)
util.o: Definition of symbol _shm_no_page (multiply defined)
sem.o: Definition of symbol _sem_exit (multiply defined)
shm.o: Definition of symbol _shm_exit (multiply defined)
shm.o: Definition of symbol _shm_fork (multiply defined)
shm.o: Definition of symbol _shm_no_page (multiply defined)
shm.o: Definition of symbol _shm_swap (multiply def

I recompiled with disabling sysvipc

2. xset r rate -> memory fault

3. kernel panic, VFS

4. Windows to Linux Internet Connection Sharing

5. Kernel panic:VFS:Unable to mount root fs on 0:1:00

6. WHAT FILES TO DOWNLOAD[NEWBIE]

7. Kernel panic VFS

8. Pipes and subshells w/bash

9. Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs...

10. Kernel Panic:VFS:... what does it mean??

11. Kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount fs on 08:01

12. Kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs

13. Kernel Panic: VFS: unsupported optional features