GRUB and 2 hard drives

Post by Joe » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 09:39:44

Instead of partitioning off portions of one hard drive to run multiple
operating systems, using GRUB, can you run two different OS's (one one
each drive)?  If so, how?

Thanks,
Joe

GRUB and 2 hard drives

Post by Bit Twiste » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 09:49:56

> Instead of partitioning off portions of one hard drive to run multiple
> operating systems, using GRUB, can you run two different OS's (one one
> each drive)?

Yes.

Quote:>  If so, how?

Install the other OS on the other drive.

Using Mandrake, I just click the drive tab, size the partition
and label it /.

No idea what OS you are talking about.

GRUB and 2 hard drives

Post by Joe » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 09:51:07

Wow, didn't expect to get a response so quick.
I'm running RedHat 9 on one drive and will load Win '98 on the other.

Joe

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 00:49:56 GMT, Bit Twister

>> Instead of partitioning off portions of one hard drive to run multiple
>> operating systems, using GRUB, can you run two different OS's (one one
>> each drive)?

>Yes.

>>  If so, how?

>Install the other OS on the other drive.

>Using Mandrake, I just click the drive tab, size the partition
>and label it /.

>No idea what OS you are talking about.

GRUB and 2 hard drives

Post by Joe » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 10:19:17

Great, thanks.  I just went to it and printed it out and now am going
to start plinking around with it.

Joe

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 01:11:41 GMT, Bit Twister

>> Wow, didn't expect to get a response so quick.
>> I'm running RedHat 9 on one drive and will load Win '98 on the other.

>Ok, make sure you have the steps to reinstall whatever boot
>loader you are using. Windoze will wipe it out.

>I think you will be needing the following:

>very large FAQ search engine
>    http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search
>google_reinstall_boot_loader_search_tag    in the first box
>comp.os.linux       in the Newsgroup box, pick english

>You may want to read http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

1. Unable to mount IDE hard drive - need GRUB help

Subject:

I cannot boot a drive that I know boots in other situations
IDE cable positions.

But in this current position (hdc apparently) it does not.

Somehow on Redhat install hdc=ide-scsi showed up in /etc/grub.conf and
other posts told me I need to remove it in order to get
that hdc harddrive to mount properly.

But, I removed that part in /etc/grub.conf, and it hasn't fixed it,
it still shows up in dmesg.

Others say you need to "rerun GRUB". How does one "rerun GRUB"?
And if not, how do I edit this file and have it updated
on the GRUB boot stage?

Thanks,

Carl

2. Colorized ls?

3. Windows XP, Linux 7.2 GRUB boot loader using 1 Hard Drive

4. Help - Driver for AAA-130

5. GRUB fails to load WinXP after hard drive defragmentation

6. installing jdk 1.1.1

7. Grub with 2 hard drives

8. Xfree86 3.3.2.3 installs incomplete

9. GRUB Booting and Hard Drive MBR Troubles

10. Installing GRUB boot on cloned hard drive

11. GRUB won't load Linux now that I've switched hard drives

12. GRUB won't boot 2nd Hard Drive

13. Booting from a hard drive partition w/grub or lilo