Newbie and problems with getty and serial ports

Newbie and problems with getty and serial ports

Post by joseb » Fri, 03 Oct 1997 04:00:00

I am quite new in Linux and have a problem with getty.

I am 'only' trying to connect a dumb terminal with a linux box.

I have test the /etc/gettydefs file and it is correct (well it says the
same that my manual). I have configured the file /etc/rc.d/rc.serial as
the manual says.

if i execute from the console:

        /sbin/getty ttyS1 DT9600 vt100

my terminal works fine, so it is not a cabling problem, but when i
logout i cannot log again until i go to the console and execute the
command again.

Then i said, OK i need to respwn it in the /etc/inittab file and i put a
new line on it as:

        S1:456:respawn:/sbin/getty ttyS1 DT9600 vt100

and execute :

        init q

My terminal does not work.
Then i reboot the machine, it does not work

If i execute again the line from the console it works again perfectly
until i logout

I am lose

Help

Thanks in advanced