System Commander vs Boot Manager vs Lilo

System Commander vs Boot Manager vs Lilo

Post by KL » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Does anyone have experience using System Commander vs Boot Manager vs Lilo.
Which of the 3 would you recommend to boot multiple os's.

System Commander vs Boot Manager vs Lilo

Post by wmeg2.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

None of them! Use an IDE switch with multiple HardDrives. You can find
a device called Winux, which is made by Fujitsu, at
http://www.unipress.com/winux .  With multiple discrete hard drives you
will not run the risk of currupting your data when you
reconfigure/repartition you solo hard drive, and if you solo boot disk
crashes, you will still be able to use one of the remaining boot disks
(you can have up to three boot disks, three selectable C: drives.

http://www.unipress.com/winux

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Post by Richard Bum » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>Does anyone have experience using System Commander vs Boot Manager vs Lilo.
>Which of the 3 would you recommend to boot multiple os's.

I haven't used System Commander, but I have been using Boot Manager
*and* Lilo as long as I have been using linux.  Some books claim that
linux doesn't behave well with Boot Manager, but whatever led to those
claims was fixed before I started using linux last year.  I already
had Boot Manger on my system, so I continued to use it.  It doesn't
know how to boot linux directly, but it can find lilo on the boot
track of any partition and use it to start linux.  Lilo has no
objection to being a secondary boot loader.

It also has everything necessary to be a primary boot loader and start
other systems, although I have never used it as such.  Some people
have difficulty configuring lilo, so you might want prefer to
install and familiarize yourself with another boot loader before
adding linux to your system.

This is not an important issue.  Once you start your linux system, it
will run for a long time.  You will only need to use your boot loader
to boot your other system, and you wouldn't be posting here if you
really wanted to do that.

--
R. T. Bumby **  Rutgers Math || Amer. Math. Monthly Problems Editor 1992--1996

Telephone:    [USA] 732-445-0277 (full-time message line) FAX 732-445-5530

System Commander vs Boot Manager vs Lilo

Post by Richard Stein » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

spake unto us, saying:

Quote:>Does anyone have experience using System Commander vs Boot Manager vs
>Lilo.  Which of the 3 would you recommend to boot multiple os's.

Sure.  It really depends on which OSes you want to boot, and on which
of the above you already have.  :-)

For example, I don't think either LILO or Boot Manager is capable of
booting Solaris from one's second hard drive, but System Commander will
allow such a configuration.

System Commander, however, isn't free.

--

     OS/2 + Linux + BeOS + FreeBSD + Solaris + WinNT4 + Win95 + DOS
      + VMWare + Fusion + vMac + Executor = PC Hobbyist Heaven! :-)

Post by John Schole » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>Does anyone have experience using System Commander vs Boot Manager vs Lilo.
>Which of the 3 would you recommend to boot multiple os's.

It depends upon what you mean by multiple. If you just want to move from
Win to Win+Linux, then System Commander is probably not needed. But some
combinations can be tricky. System Commander has an excellent manual
giving lots of useful info, as well as a reliable product. Another thing
to think about is Partition Magic which allows hot repartitioning (being
reckless, I have tried it, successfully, without backing up).

--
John Scholes

Post by Peter Ste » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>>Does anyone have experience using System Commander vs Boot Manager vs Lilo.
>>Which of the 3 would you recommend to boot multiple os's.

>It depends upon what you mean by multiple. If you just want to move from
>Win to Win+Linux, then System Commander is probably not needed. But some
>combinations can be tricky. System Commander has an excellent manual
>giving lots of useful info, as well as a reliable product. Another thing
>to think about is Partition Magic which allows hot repartitioning (being
>reckless, I have tried it, successfully, without backing up).

>--
>John Scholes

I highly recommend both. I use System Commander to boot WIN98, MS-DOS 5.0,
PC-DOS 6.1, OS2 Warp 4, and Linux. These OSes span 2 hard drives and with
System Commander non-boot partitions can be selectively seen by the boot
OS. The latest PM seems very reliable and has saved me a lot of time.

Peter Stein

System Commander vs Boot Manager vs Lilo

Post by Peter Ste » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>None of them! Use an IDE switch with multiple HardDrives. You can find
>a device called Winux, which is made by Fujitsu, at
>http://www.unipress.com/winux .  With multiple discrete hard drives you
>will not run the risk of currupting your data when you
>reconfigure/repartition you solo hard drive, and if you solo boot disk
>crashes, you will still be able to use one of the remaining boot disks
>(you can have up to three boot disks, three selectable C: drives.

A not so trivial detail that you don't mention is that Winux hides the
other drives from use! Many folks will find this completely unacceptable
as they routinely access partitions on other drives which belong to
another OS. System Commander can hide partitions for a fraction of the
cost.

This product doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense. For $89 you tie
up a 5.25" bay with something that is inflexible in how it permits
access to partitions. Only the most simplistic configuration offers a
feint rationale for Winux, but even then it doesn't make sense because
the combination of System Commander and Partition Magic gives the user
more capabilities for less $.

For less than $89 you can get both System Commander and Partition Magic.
System Commander has a lot of slick features such as controlling how
partitions are seen and being able to boot multiple OSes from the same
partition. Partition Magic is very handy for painless repartitioning.
I used to be a skeptic of PM, but the latest version is very good and
at its low price it's worth having in one's toolbox.

Peter Stein

>http://www.unipress.com/winux

>> Does anyone have experience using System Commander vs Boot Manager vs
>Lilo.
>> Which of the 3 would you recommend to boot multiple os's.

1. Linux vs OS2 vs NT vs Win95 vs Multics vs PDP11 vs BSD geeks

        Every machine and operating system has got its useful
purpose...

        I see no point in argueing with people which OS is better, and
which is worse, and what will survive and what wont...

        The bottom line is obviously the best OS is the one that make
the end user most productive.    Ive used quite a variety of software
from intel, ibm, MS, sun, GNU, DEC/compaq, etc,   and everything OS
has got its UPz and DOWnz, so depending on what you want to do with it
yer machine, probably determines what OS you run.

        So lets cut to the chase -  OS bashing is a waste of time,
and most of the time I'd say the person putting it down just hasn't
seen that particular OS's potential,  or should I say speciality....

      Hell,  Plan 9 has even got some interesting features.. <snicker>

       And all PC users know,  that no matter what use on a day to day
basis on the PC, that one day you will need to boot good ole ancient
DOS to do something...

2. Definitive /etc/magic file?

3. x86/NT dual boot - OSBS vs Sys Commander vs ????

4. Netscape + Java Plugin Crashing

5. Dual Boot RH6.0 w/ NT4.0 LILO vs. boot.ini vs. ???

6. announce (experimental): Linux-2.4.7(i386/SMP) add-on for PPSkit

7. Desktop vs Window Manager vs X11 vs OS

8. Problems terminating X

9. Use of System Commander vs. LILO

10. Perfomance: tar vs ftp vs rsync vs cp vs ?

11. Slackware vs SuSE vs Debian vs Redhat vs ....

12. DOS vs. Windows vs. Mac vs. Unix vs. NS

13. KDE vs. Openlook vs. Xfree86 vs. MetroX vs. CDE