Problem with SB16

Post by Justin Le » Wed, 08 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

On my old system I had no problem setting up the support for Sound
Blaster 16.  On my new system, I can play CDs, but no sound will come
out through the speakers.  The drive definately is playing the CDs,
because the drive light is on and I can listen to the CDs through
headphones.  There's nothing wrong with the hardware installation
because everything is fine under Windows 95.

When I enter cat /dev/audio or cat /dev/dsp I get the error message
"Device not configured", even though I have actually run the
configuration script for sound.

Please send a copy of your reply through e-mail.

Thanks,
Justin.

1. problems with SB16 PnP

Hi!
I have problems to configure my SB16 PnP Card under Linux.
when I compile my Kernel with sound (without using a module)
the sound card only works without support for 16bit dma
(io 0x220, irq 5, dma 1,1). when I set the 16bit dma to 5 (under windows
this setting works well) the sound card donsn't work any longer and I
got the follwing message in my messages-log:
Sound: DMA (output) timed out - IRQ/DRQ config error?
I thougth that is because my bios do not set up the 16bit dma for my
soundcard (in the bios output at boot-time it is not mention) so I tried
to use isapnp to configure my soundcard. If i does it that whay (without
using a kernelmodule for sound) isapnp gives a errormessage that the irq
etc. is in use by sb16. so I tried to use my a module for my soundcard.
( alias char-major-14 sb
 post-install sb /sbin/modprobe "-k" "adlib_card"
 options sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 dma16=5 mpu_io=0x330
 options adlib_card io=0x388)
isapnp now set up my souncard without any problems. setting up the
soundmodule with modprobe -k sb works without any errormessage (
kernel: Soundblaster audio driver Copyright (C) by Hannu Savolainen
kernel: SB 4.16 detected OK (220)
kernel: <Sound Blaster 16 (4.16)> at 0x220 irq 5 dma 1,5
kernel: <Sound Blaster 16> at 0x330 irq 5 dma 0,0
kernel: YM3812 and OPL-3 driver Copyright (C) by Hannu Savolainen, Rob
kernel: <Yamaha OPL3> at 0x388
) and I can use the mixer of my soundcard (line in -> line out) but I
still have the problem with the 16bit dma (Sound: DMA (output) timed out
- IRQ/DRQ config error?).
anybody an idea how i can solve the problem ?

cu Nils

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. email to multiple sites

3. Problem with SB16 + PS2 mouse in Linux

4. starve for ISL Vlan support !!!???!!!

5. Problems with SB16 Creative CD220E CD-ROM

6. FTP, move multiple files?

7. Problems with SB16 and /dev/dsp

8. Using read() on raw partitions on Sequent

9. Problems with SB16 an /dev/dsp

10. Kernel compiling problem with SB16

11. problems with SB16 PnP

12. Midi problem with SB16