Does Linux support HP 7200e CD-RW?

Post by MBJ » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hello everyone,

I am a newbie in linux and I want to know if there are anyone who had
been successful in using HP 7200e CD-RW under linux.  Is this by just
putting "y" on Parallel Port support in the kernel?  I am using Mandrake
6.0.  Are there any linux programs available for copying cd's?

TIA,

Max

Post by Steve Gag » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Hello everyone,

> I am a newbie in linux and I want to know if there are anyone who had
> been successful in using HP 7200e CD-RW under linux.

Yes.

Quote:> Is this by just
> putting "y" on Parallel Port support in the kernel?  I am using Mandrake
> 6.0.

Well, not quite. Check out the following:

http://www.torque.net/parport/paride.html
http://www.guug.de/~winni/linux/cdr/html/
http://www.fadden.com/cdrfaq/faq.html

Quote:> Are there any linux programs available for copying cd's?

http://www.xiph.org/paranoia/

Have fun!

1. Reading CD-R & CD-RW with an ATAPI HP 7200e CD-Writer on RH 6.0...

I am presently unable to read CD-RWs or CD-Rs that are
not closed. I want to use both as lightweight backups.

I would prefer not to have to build a kernel. Reading
relevant posts has left me confused. (I am presently
assuming that the issue is UDF.)

Do you know if what I am trying to do is impossible, or
can you suggest pointers to continue investigation?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks, Joe

PS.

The following may be germane, but I don't want to
distract from my question :-)

I use DirectCD on w95/98 to write the CD-RW and CD-Rs.
(I am assuming that I can use cdwriter to write, but so
far have only verified that I can use -eject and -load
to open and shut the drive tray :-))

I can read CR-ROMs and closed CD-Rs. This took me a while,
using the following magic:
    modprobe parport
    modprobe paride
    modprobe epat
    modprobe pcd
    mount -t iso9660 /dev/pcd0 /mnt/cdrw
If I try to mount a CD-R or CD-RW, I get the following barf:
    mount: block device /dev/pcd0 is write-protected,
        mounting read-only
    mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on
       /dev/pcd0, or too many mounted file systems

The issue would appear to be UDF. I downloaded udf-0.8.8
from http://www.csc.calpoly.edu/~bfennema/udf.html (this
seems to me to not require a kernel patch). I built this,
installed, did the modprobe udf, but when I did
    mount -t udf /dev/pcd0 /mnt/cdrw
with any CD in the drive (CD-{ROM,RW,R}), the CD-Writer
gurgled briefly and then my machine hung. I waited for
5 mins. but it still remained unresponsive. I rebooted
and repeated many times.

I read the FAQ in the udf-0.8.9.1 download (from
http://www.trylinux.com/projects/udf/index.html), and
was confused by the following:
    2.3) Can I read DirectCD (or other packet-writing
         software) discs with this driver?
    Yes, you should be able to.
but later the FAQ writes:
    3.2) How come some discs can be read in DirectCD,
         but not with this driver?
    Usually, these are discs that DirectCD (or other
    packet-writing software) has not 'closed', ie,
    finished writing the UDF volume information. Some
    of these discs will cause the kernel to crash in the
    lower-level driver, even if the UDF driver isn't
    loaded. More work needs to be done to understand this
    problem.

So it would appear that I can't read CD-RWs or open CD-Rs
for the moment?

2. Networking help requested

3. CD-RW support specifically with NEC NR 7700A CD-RW drive

4. ISA Ethernet card advice sought

5. HP 9200i CD-RW supported?

6. handler ... not found for: ...

7. HP CD-RW Supported by RH 6.0?

8. Diamond Stealth SE and X

9. HP Surestore CD-RW support under RedHat 5.0

10. External, parallel port CD-RW (HP CD-Writer 7200) and Linux (RH7.3)

11. broken 2.2 IDE CD-RW (was Re: plain 2.2.X: no ide CD-RW?)

12. SCSI CD-RW: yamaha 4416s: HowTo REWrite CD-RW's?

13. LINUX support for CD-R, CD-RW, packet writers?