SOUNDBLASTER 4X CD-ROM WORKS GREAT, BUT SOUNDCARD...NOT GREAT

SOUNDBLASTER 4X CD-ROM WORKS GREAT, BUT SOUNDCARD...NOT GREAT

Post by Velanche Lashawn Stewar » Sat, 11 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Hello:

I'm running Linux on a PC with Windows 95--in which LILO's set to kick up
Win95 first, and I use loadlin from the OS to start up Linux. I have a
Soundblaster card (CT2290)--16 bit--for which the IDE/ATAPI CD-ROM is
attached to the card.

The CD-ROM is detected and works fine. But in wanting to have sound for
RealAudio, etc., I picked up both the SOUND-HOWTO and the  KERNEL-HOWTO
guides and read them carefully. I've redone the configuration via make
config, and I even ran the soundscript and checked the settings in
/dev/audio and /dev/dsp. But when I rebooted, no dice.

And prior to this, the kernel was done via make config-->make dep-->make
clean-->make zlilo. Upon sucessful completion, I ran the soundscript,
and then rebooted. After loadlin via Win95 ran, the boot process showed
no visible reference that the sound card (snd) was detected. Then I ran
both "cat <sound> > /dev/blah...then ended up with "no device found."
Same with "cat /dev/sndstat."

I have done the configuration both according to the settings I used in
Win95 (by looking in the Device Managers) and then the default settings
via the technical documentation on Creative Lab's web site. Still, I'm at
a loss.

I have installed Linux via Slackware 96. Any hints or ideas would be
quite helpful. Please let me know via private e-mail. Thanks.

Here's part of the config:

CONFIG FROM /etc/soundconf
#define CONFIG_SB
#define CONFIG_AUDIO
#define CONFIG_MIDI
#define CONFIG_YM3812

#undef  CONFIG_MPU_EMU
#undef  CONFIG_AD1848
#define CONFIG_SEQUENCER

#define SBC_BASE 0x220
#define SBC_IRQ 5
#define SBC_DMA 1
#define SB_DMA2 5
#define SB_MPU_BASE 0x1
#define SB_MPU_IRQ 1
#define DSP_BUFFSIZE 65536
#define SELECTED_SOUND_OPTIONS  0x00a80002

Regards,
Velanche Stewart

    V   E   L   A   N   C   H   E               S   T   E   W   A   R   T
                   California Polytechnic State University
                         San Luis Obispo, California

                      http://www.calpoly.edu/~vstewart

SOUNDBLASTER 4X CD-ROM WORKS GREAT, BUT SOUNDCARD...NOT GREAT

Post by Louis S Girard » Tue, 14 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Have you tried unremarking the SB16 probe line in /etc/rc.d/rc.modules?

Rock On

1. Great News for Mitsumi Double Speed Cd-Rom Users!

        Hi!  I just called Yggdrasil about their Fall 93' Cd-Rom and
found out that they are sending a patched boot up disk for people who
own the Mitsumi Double Speed/Spin Fx series drives.  The floppies should
be cut soon and hopefully shipped right away.  If you have problems please
call them to get your copy if you have purchased the Fall 93' LGX Cd and
cannot use it because of the Mitsumi problem.

(Real: Don Farber)                    "Friends don't let friends use

Majoring in Computer Science at NIU

2. how to find patchlevel of specific file

3. New SoundBlaster 4X CD-ROM = help

4. Accessing files by inode #s

5. 4X CD-ROM with SoundBlaster 16

6. X troubles

7. SoundBlaster 16 & Creative Labs 4X IDE CD-ROM

8. Double man pages?

9. Soundblaster 16 cd-rom 4x

10. GREAT JOBS-GREAT PAY" WVT"

11. Toshiba 4x v. Mitsumi 4x CD-ROM

12. knoppix CD works great... install to HD and USB mouse won't work.

13. Great Health Products at Great Prices!!!!