Xwindows won't start!

Post by John » Sat, 27 Sep 1997 04:00:00

        I have just installed Red Hat Linux 4.2 to my 686 machine along with
XFree86 v3.3.1.  Linux starts up OK but when I go to start Xwindows by
typing 'startx', I get the message
"Not enough memory for requested virtual resolution (1600 x 1280)"
followed by
"A configured device found, but display modes could not be resolved".
        I have an ATI 3D Pro Turbo PC2TV video card (4MB) and when installing
Linux/Xwindows I selected the ATI Pro Turbo Driver.
        Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions that might resolve my problem?

John Penaluna

Xwindows won't start!

Post by David Directo » Sat, 27 Sep 1997 04:00:00

>         I have just installed Red Hat Linux 4.2 to my 686 machine along with
> XFree86 v3.3.1.  Linux starts up OK but when I go to start Xwindows by
> typing 'startx', I get the message
> "Not enough memory for requested virtual resolution (1600 x 1280)"
> followed by
> "A configured device found, but display modes could not be resolved".
>         I have an ATI 3D Pro Turbo PC2TV video card (4MB) and when installing
> Linux/Xwindows I selected the ATI Pro Turbo Driver.
>         Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions that might resolve my problem?

What color depth are you using?  1600x1280 requires 2MB for 8-bit depth,
4MB for 16-bit, and 8 MB for 24-bit.  Check your configuration.

-- David

1. Xwindows won't start.....help needed

After deinstalling staroffice my Xwindows won't work no more.
This is wat I get in my log:

(**) Mouse1: ZAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
(II) Keyboard "Keyboard1" handled by legacy driver
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Mouse1" (type: MOUSE)
Could not init font path element unix/:-1, removing from list!

Fatal server error:
could not open default font 'fixed'

Anyone who has a clue what is wrong here and how do i solve it?!
I work with Mandrake 7.2.....

Thnx,
Deech

2. F50?

3. netscape won't start from Xwindow or command prompt

4. SIGSTKFLT on alpha, mips and sparc

5. Xwindows won't start anymore

6. modem on rh7

7. XWindows won't start

8. Routing TCP/IP & IPX over a 64K synchronous leased line

9. Nertworking is Xwindows won't start

10. XWindows won't start in right resolution.

11. X won't start: can't open default font 'fixed'

12. x-win won't start with eth0 enabled

13. x-win won't start with eth0 enabled!